DIY LED build thread

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Hey Bob sorry for the delay, the emitters are glued down with thermal epoxy called Arctic thermal adhesive. Their are a couple different sizes of heat sinks, the back pads are 8.5's and the fronts are 5 and change and both are from heatsinksusa.

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Ok so a little update.

So the wiring is done on the heat sinks now.
IMG_0174.jpg

Time to spread them out so we can get the going of the frame work that will hang over the tank.
IMG_0175.jpg

So the fixture will span 7 feet, so we will have about a 2 inch gap between each 12 inch pad. Their will be a 6 inch span between the front pads.

IMG_0171.jpg

The plan is to have the different pads be able to individually rotate so I can dial in the light based on my rockwork now and then as the coral grows, the lighting caan adjust with it. So Guerry has come up with a nifty plan to do this and not effect the fans and such on top of the sinks.
IMG_0179.jpg

IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0182.jpg

IMG_0184-1.jpg

IMG_0187-1.jpg

Mojo

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Mike how does the airflow get down and through the channels on the outer most areas on the heatsink? It looks like the fan would be fine for the majority of the channels but the 5 or so on the front and 5 or so on the back wont have any significant airflow.

Willie McDaries

Al,the air doesn't have to directly hit all of the heatsink fins to be effective,as long as there is a cool spot it will still transfer the heat away from the LEDs

this an awesome build and is exactly what I need to mimic over my tank as it is about the same size....

could you post links to all the components and maybe a price list ? :D

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Mike how does the airflow get down and through the channels on the outer most areas on the heatsink? It looks like the fan would be fine for the majority of the channels but the 5 or so on the front and 5 or so on the back wont have any significant airflow.

Heat transfer Al. thats the whole concept of using the Al. To be honest their is not a lot of heat that comes off these things anyway, even with out the fans.

Fantastic Mike !!! What a craftsman !!!

I cant take credit for the craftmanship on this one nano, I leave that end to Guerry. We talk about it but he performs it.

Willie I dont want to post prices and stuff, but shoot me a pm.

Mike

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
What a super clean design. This guy does great work.

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Mike have you ran this unit yet? I'm doing some testing on my small LED array (just over my RSM130D running 14Blue, 14White). At 1% - 60% the heatsink stays pretty close to room temp (max today was 76). Crank it up above 61% and the heat really starts to build. At 75% I was hitting 120deg and at 100% for 15min I hit 142deg. This is with no fan just the heatsink on an elevated base sitting in my living room floor doing comparison of % to heat. I wonder if you've seen similar #'s from your unit.

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Mike have you ran this unit yet? I'm doing some testing on my small LED array (just over my RSM130D running 14Blue, 14White). At 1% - 60% the heatsink stays pretty close to room temp (max today was 76). Crank it up above 61% and the heat really starts to build. At 75% I was hitting 120deg and at 100% for 15min I hit 142deg. This is with no fan just the heatsink on an elevated base sitting in my living room floor doing comparison of % to heat. I wonder if you've seen similar #'s from your unit.

Yep we had working models up and testing prior to this one starting. So a couple of things, one is we have never needed to turn the fixture up over 50% power as we were getting 500 par at 12 inches. Which is as high a par I would ever want in the tank, anything beyond that and your cooking. So on that basis our temp meter never went over 105F.

Mojo

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Alright so we go the production line going now.

IMG_0188-1.jpg

IMG_0189-1.jpg

IMG_0191-1.jpg

And then finished product for the 12 inch sinks, kind of shows the adjustability

IMG_0196-1.jpg

Mojo