Disappointment

Status
Not open for further replies.
O.k. one final note. you aren't getting it. "It" isn't the cure. Marine-Max allows the fishes immune system to be the cure. Did you ever take antibiotics? Where they the cure? The antibiotics give your immune system a chance to recoup and fight off whatever you took them for.

Antibiotics are geared to kill whatever bacteria they are targeting. They dont give your immune system a chance to recoup and fight off the infection, another words they do not increase your immune system.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I wish you would have gone to their site

Yes I went there but that's purely their advertising department making it sound good. I work IN advertising and I could make a cup of cat urine sound good on paper. I want to see lab tests... clinical studies... I want proof that it really does what the label and website claim.

I get the impression that you will stay a skeptic no matter what.
Hardly! I am VERY forward thinking and love new products and ideas as long as they WORK! Until something is proven to either CURE Marine Ich or in the claims here enable the fish to FIGHT OFF (in itself curing) Marine Ich it's just snake oil. If it were something like trying to improve flow or whatever I wouldn't be so insistent on debating it but Marine Ich can and will wipe out an entire tank if not treated promptly and properly. My problem is that if you're telling someone to skip the Tried and Proven methods to beat Marine Ich then you'd better have your ducks in a row and be able to either back up your claims with true facts or be willing to accept the responsibility for their losses for following your flawed advice. It's easy to offer advice when you're just typing on a keyboard but when the rubber meets the road if your suggestion doesn't work are you willing to step up to the plate and accept the outcome? This isn't one of those times when if your suggestion is flawed it's no big deal. The fish will die and the original poster will loss heart, money and could potentially get out of the hobby as a whole. I take giving advice very seriously especially when it comes to something as drastic as Marine Ich.

I wasn't trying to be rude or anything and I'm sorry if it was taken that way.but no one has told him what he should use yet , y'all are just "discussing" this product that he heard about . Remember the lives of the fish that are still at stake here.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I wasn't trying to be rude or anything and I'm sorry if it was taken that way.

Not taken rude at all.

but no one has told him what he should use yet , y'all are just "discussing" this product that he heard about . Remember the lives of the fish that are still at stake here.

The best possible advice was given to him in post #5 by lcstorc. That's really the only "Tried & Proven" method(s) for fighting Marine Ich.

leebca

It so sad to see this 'discussion' over and over again. I'm pretty much fed up with the ignorance. The forum is not a license to spread untruths, stupidity, nor anecdotal information.

Get back to helping the poster with science. Everyone should begin by looking up definitions of 'antibiotics' and other words.

It's a fact that millions of dollars are lost every year in the fish industry, not hobby fishes, but food fishes due to Marine Ich. If ANY cure if found outside of what has been found over the past 150 years of study, it would make big time news. It only costs a few hundred dollars to have independent studies done to prove any new product works or doesn't work.

Get back to basics, science, and known solutions to help the poster. Just read the journal studies and research to get your facts and if you have information that differs, then report the source of the scientific study which supports any deviation from that which is now internationally known by the scientific community.

:)

softreef

Wow, everyone seems to be getting a bit testy! All those who have not used a product and can not give a valid opinion of the product should just leave it alone. Part of any forum is opinion, discussion and advice. Those reading those opinions, discussions and advice are free to do with them what they want. I have gotten PMs in other forums thanking me for the Marine-Max suggestion as they took the advice and told me it also worked for them. The reason everyone is hung up is because there are no real viable solutions to ich other than the natural one I suggested and this is hard for some to grasp.

20nano

caught him! beginning treatment as of now. SG 1.026, will change out with freshwater over the course of 48 hours until i reach 1.015 and see how that goes. From then i'll try to strictly maintain that for 6 weeks or so i guess. Hopefully it works. Boring to see a fishless tank from stupidity or negligence dont you guys think? But im sure i'll be happier in the future thru these steps and future preventions.

20nano

honestly, no offense given to you guys, after having read the description on the site's product labeling, it seems as if they really are aimed to giving the fish a fighting chance from ich and that it would not consume it's life. But to say that this product will remove and kill ich from the tank, i highly doubt that would work. Once again, only my opinion given. But i would definitely consider trying this product in the hospital tank to boost their strength during treatment only, and only, if the start to get worst. As of now, their body somewhat cleared up and i think that it is because alot of them are dropped off into the aquarium already. If i was to keep them there longer, ich will start attaching to them again. Will update and let you guys know how its going.

20nano

the bottle caught it, i didnt do shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. lol it nearly flopped out when i took the soda bottle up but i scooped it back immedately. Tangs are pretty fast and smart. SG right now is 1.022 or so between that.

lcstorc

Great news! Your salinity needs to go lower than that though. I believe 1.009 is the correct mark. Also use a refractometer to get accurate readings. Hydrometers are just not accurate enough.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Great news! Your salinity needs to go lower than that though. I believe 1.009 is the correct mark. Also use a refractometer to get accurate readings. Hydrometers are just not accurate enough.

Very wise words!! I wouldn't even consider attempting this method with a swing-arm hydrometer. :)

Haha that's funny 20nano. Swing arms are pretty acurate we compaired mine to a refractometer it did read a little low though. .003 or something like that.

yankieman

So you're saying this IS or it MIMICS antibiotics? Regardless I'm here to tell you that if it "DID" what you say it DOES the makers wouldn't be able to make enough. It would be talked about on every forum, in every magazine and Marine Ich would be just another "runny nose" for our tanks instead of one of the leading reasons for total tank tear downs and people leaving the hobby for good. Also if it were "all that" don't you think that ALL of the importers and anyone else who even looks at a marine fish would be using it across the board? Sadly I'm afraid until it's proven in clinical studies and shown to cure or at least ALLOW a fish to fight off and defeat Marine Ich it's just another way to part a person with their hard earned money.

softreef do you have any form of documentation to support this product? Anything even remotely clinical and/or technical we can go on?

IM a bit confused here are you saying that there is no "CURE" for MI ,, if thats the case why do we bother to catch the fish and put them into a QT ? we should catch them and just euthanize them then ,, leave the tank fallow for 8 weeks and start over ,, but I dont think thats the case ,, I beleve there is a cure ,, if im not mistaken leebca said 2 ways one was with copper treatment which im sure is something you buy so to say there is companies that would put it all over forums and papers and even on the news if they found a cure happened already and maybe you missed it ,, maybe before berating someone for using a product that seems to have worked for them you should check the company that sells it and berate them ,, even if you are staff here ,,, which by the way I have been a member many years longer than even you , and havnt seen this type of talk before ,, I got a funny feeling you may have drove softreef clear off this site,,,

Stretch

Has been struck by the ban stick
In any type of "debate" or "discussion" there is going to be someone that is more informed than the other. If you get your feelings hurt bad enough to stop using a site because of such a debate then its probably a good idea to not debate... just my two cents worth.

Its not that everyone is beating up on any one individual. There are just more on this site that are choosing a tried and tested process over another.

Status
Not open for further replies.