Disappointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

20nano

I am so disappointing in myself for not taking things a bit slow. I have had my 20 gallon for 8 months and my 4 fishes are doing perfectly fine. Made a 72 bowfront about 2 month ago and all seems well until....i became hasty and added a new fish.

I had a small yellow tang, 2 true percs and a spotted hawkfish in the 20 for a good amount of time. I transferred everything over to my 72bow and it was great. I knew about hospital tanks and I should've followed what all reefers said. I had a hospital tank b4 but have been busy and did not set it up. I figured that since all my fishes are healthy and doing well, they would fight off diseases easily. Boy was i wrong.. I think one of you guys should come to my house and smack me in the head for negligence.

A few days ago i added a sailfin tang after being convinced by my coral shop that i have bought from since the 8 month i started reefing. He convinced me that the fish is fine and its healthy. I threw it in my tank. Now i see white specs floating all over my water and i Know that it isnt dust or sand particles since there wasnt any for the past 1-2 month of starting up this new glass cage of wonder. My yellow tang now has 10000000000000 white spots all over its body. The sailfin has as well but not as much. I know that it is the sailfin that brought about this to the tank. I can't catch the yellow tang, he outwitted me inside the rocks knowing that i would not tear apart the rockscape to get him. As for the sailfin, he gave up without a fight and fell into my net as i scooped it out of the water. It's currently in my 10 gallon that i JUST SET up 30 minutes or so ago. Will begin hyposalinity treatment through the course of 48 hours or so as i gradually lower the sg. I dont want to do that yet because i want to throw the yellow tang in there too. My clowns and hawkfish hasnt gotten any dots yet and never did actually. I can easily catch the percs but just like the yellow tang...the jerk spotted hawkfish is just as quick into hiding and smaller which makes him nearly impossible to catch. ANY ideas on how i can net these punks???? I need help. Ive grown too attached to my 4 fish and wish that i could've followed reefing laws before attempting to add a fish. I dont want the yellow tang to die. What do you guys suggest for me to go about luring him in. I could use a fishing line with a shrimp bait, just kidding!"

bshady

Well a few tips would be to get them out of there as soon as possible to a qt. And if you cant lower your salinity to. 015 or 0.16, higher the temp in your tank to 80-82 and get a couple of cleaner shrimp to help clean the ich off of your fish

20nano

oh i know, i just set up the qt about 50 mins ago or so, as stated above. I just cant catch the yellow tangf without stirring up the whole tank and removing what seems to be about 100lbs of rocks

lcstorc

You will need to catch and treat all 4 fish. The easiest way I have found is to use a fish trap. There are several different kinds but you will basically have a box that is open on one side and then a piece of plexiglass that will close the opening once the fish is inside. Put in some bait and in they go. The biggest problem I tend to have is catching the wrong fish so you should be good since you need to trap them all.
They then need to go into a hospital tank and receive either hyposalinity or copper treatment. Meanwhile you need to leave the tank empty without any fish at all for 8 weeks. That is the ich life cycle. There is a stage in the cycle where the parasite has to have a fish host and if there is none available they will die.
Here are some threads for you to read about ich treatment and hospital tank set-up
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums.../23132-marine-ich-myths-facts.html#post316048
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums.../23584-fish-quarantine-process-step-step.html
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...nts/23131-hyposalinity-treatment-process.html
There is a lot more information here
Fish Diseases & Treatments

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ditto to Lynn. If ANY fish in the tank has Marine Ich it's best to presume ALL have it and the tank is totally infected. It only takes one small organism to get the whole thing kicked off again. They ALL get the treatment and ALL of them outside of the Display Tank for a MIN of 8 weeks.

Also it may not be the new Tang that brought the MI into the system. It could very well have been there and the new addition caused or is the stressor that triggered the increase.

Also PLEASE stop listening to that LFS. Either they are VERY decietful or don't know diddly about what they are doing. It's not a great idea to have any TANG in a 72 tank let alone a couple of tangs and REALLY let alone a Sailfin Tang, Desjardini (Zebrasoma desjardini)

This fish needs a MINIMUM of a 180g tank. It gets upwards of a FOOT long! Bad move and your LFS does not deserve ANY of your hard earned $$$ again. I'd drive across the state before I'd reward their BAD behavior with my hard earned $$. Also you need to research before you buy friend. This impulse buy is going to cost you a lot of heartache and $$ before it's all said and done. Sorry to be so blunt but you deserve to hear FACTS and not be persuaded into more bad purchases.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
softreef can you point us to any verified technical data showing how this product (or ANY other) is documented to CURE Marine Ich? If you can it would be the first of it's kind and most likely one of the greatest break-through in our hobby in years... no DECADES.

Truth of the matter is you can't get a Marine Ich cure in a bottle. If it were even remotely that easy EVERY store in the world would be selling it. Every magazine would be writing about it. It's just not the case.

I'm sorry. Just take the sailfin back ,show the man at the store what he introduced to you new tank and demand your money back! Also I would use a fish trap or catch the yellow tang while he is asleep.
Thanks for trying to make it right!

you'll probably end up stressing them out even more cramming 4-5 fish into a 10G tank, might want another 10G just for the tang

softreef

softreef can you point us to any verified technical data showing how this product (or ANY other) is documented to CURE Marine Ich? If you can it would be the first of it's kind and most likely one of the greatest break-through in our hobby in years... no DECADES.

Truth of the matter is you can't get a Marine Ich cure in a bottle. If it were even remotely that easy EVERY store in the world would be selling it. Every magazine would be writing about it. It's just not the case.

Many knock things they know nothing about (will all due respect). It is all natural bacteria, enzymes and vitamins. It boosts the immune system of the fish so they have the ability to ward off the disease, parasite, etc. "Verified technical data", hmm...my own experience. I did not add it once a day in advance of adding a fish and that fish and 2 others started showing signs of ich. I added it and waited a day and added one more dose and the fish recovered and all was well. I have since used it as a preventative and no fish have gotten ich and no new ones when added. It is strange to me. We can't "prove" most advice we give or give "verified technical data" for trace elements, coral foods etc. but yet no one challenges them. The product works.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
As I said if this were a true Marine Ich cure it would be all over the magazines and the forums. It would be a FLOOD and the company would be glad to publish their documented tests and results.

Many things we can'/don't prove scientifically but when it comes to MI it's not very hard to prove or disprove what works.

I guess the best advice here would be
CaveatSmall.jpg

Please don't get me wrong. I would LOVE to see a MI "cure in a bottle" but it's just not that easy.

softreef

I guess the best advice here would be
CaveatSmall.jpg

Please don't get me wrong. I would LOVE to see a MI "cure in a bottle" but it's just not that easy.

O.k. one final note. you aren't getting it. "It" isn't the cure. Marine-Max allows the fishes immune system to be the cure. Did you ever take antibiotics? Where they the cure? The antibiotics give your immune system a chance to recoup and fight off whatever you took them for.

20nano

I will try to catch all the fish later on tonight when i get back. I just bought a 55 Gallons at petco for 1 dollar / gallon. I'll be using that for a hospital. This morning before i left, i observed the fish and they seem to be ok still. The percs and hawkfish are still ich-visibleless and then 2 tangs are infected but still good. I'll yellow one and do a water change as well since its 1.5 week so far since i last changed. Wish me luck guys.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
O.k. one final note. you aren't getting it. "It" isn't the cure. Marine-Max allows the fishes immune system to be the cure. Did you ever take antibiotics? Where they the cure? The antibiotics give your immune system a chance to recoup and fight off whatever you took them for.

So you're saying this IS or it MIMICS antibiotics? Regardless I'm here to tell you that if it "DID" what you say it DOES the makers wouldn't be able to make enough. It would be talked about on every forum, in every magazine and Marine Ich would be just another "runny nose" for our tanks instead of one of the leading reasons for total tank tear downs and people leaving the hobby for good. Also if it were "all that" don't you think that ALL of the importers and anyone else who even looks at a marine fish would be using it across the board? Sadly I'm afraid until it's proven in clinical studies and shown to cure or at least ALLOW a fish to fight off and defeat Marine Ich it's just another way to part a person with their hard earned money.

softreef do you have any form of documentation to support this product? Anything even remotely clinical and/or technical we can go on?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
***Thread moved to an area where it can get the attention and support needed***
BigAl07

20nano

haha, i bought a soda bottle and drank it all then cut the top and flip it inside out. I trapped the hawkfish easily but the yellow tang isnt falling for it yet, still trying!

Status
Not open for further replies.