Digital thermometer

Rogerh

Does anybody have any tips regarding a digital thermometer?

I`m looking for the kind that only has the probe in the aquarium, I`m not a big fan of having the the ones with a suction cup inside the tank since I like a clean look on my tank.
The ones I have found so far here in Norway, are not showing the correct temp, often +/- 2`celsius.

So what kind do YOU use, and what are your experience with that one?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
It seems like quite a bit of inaccuracy between the digitals, even 2 of the same. I found the Pinpoint Wireless Thermometer to be the most accurate, but I always rely on a lab grade glass mercury thermometer as a check against the digitals. The digitals seem to lose accuracy with age, and as the batteries get weak.

I rely on the temp probe on my RKL controller now, but still check it against the lab thermometer.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
The digis are nice & convenient. The glass/mercury have the accuracy, but aren't convenient to leave in the tank IMO, plus are breakable.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
The Pinpoint Wireless was reading the same as my glass/mercury when new. I'm not using it now, but at the time I was impressed with the accuracy. Never tried the Lifeguard.

I used to get the cheapo digitals, but almost cooked the tank once when it wouldn't read above 78 as it aged, and I kept turning up the heater trying to warm up the water. I've had some that ended up 7 degrees off! I think those $5 ones don't stay accurate as they get older, plus they have no indication if the battery is getting bad.

The Pinpoint Wireless was reading the same as my glass/mercury when new. I'm not using it now, but at the time I was impressed with the accuracy. Never tried the Lifeguard.

I used to get the cheapo digitals, but almost cooked the tank once when it wouldn't read above 78 as it aged, and I kept turning up the heater trying to warm up the water. I've had some that ended up 7 degrees off! I think those $5 ones don't stay accurate as they get older, plus they have no indication if the battery is getting bad.

unfortunately this did happen to me, i have a merc in my sump now and will never rely soley on the digi. i think with temp being such a vital paramater its worth having both.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I totally agree tundra. I probably should keep my mercury in the sump, but am afraid I'll break it.