DianaKay's RSM 250

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
They are brown when they are stressed.

More then likely it is over feeding but don't feel bad as I still do the same after having a salt system for almost 3 yrs now and fresh for many before that. It is hard to get the correct amount of food right in the beginning as your stock is changing along with other factors like trying different foods. I have a large stock and still not quite sure how much food to put in. On normal days I feed twice, 3 pinches of pellets in the morning then I rotate 2 frozen cubes with pieces of nori mixed in and mysis with microvore in the evening. I also hang nori a couple times a week. I soak the frozen and mysis in lipids and garlic guard twice a week. I still get a small amount of diatoms on the sand so after cleaning I give a tiny bit less and see how long it takes to come back.

I managed to get a good pic of my Midas Blenny, its on my thread you can see the pink shade on his side. From what I have read they can come completely yellow or have a couple different sides to them like pink and blue.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Do you have any power heads for flow or just the return pumps?
Should I be putting in another powerhead? Seems like I have good water circulation with just the return pumps...but this is new to me still & I'd like opinions. I really, really like less plug-ins and less mechanical things in the DT....that's why I loved the RSM system. But I guess if it's needed, someone please suggest a less invasive looking one. And show me or tell me where to run the electrical cord to & out the back of the tank?

As for feeding the fish, is once a day: TOO MUCH? I know they are eating a few pods throughout the day but most reviews on fish say to feed them 2 or 3 times a day. I only feed once a day & I try not to put in more than they can eat up in about 3 minutes time. Sometimes with the Rod's Frozen Food...that's kinda hard to tell if it's eaten or not. That's some messy stuff!

I moved my palys frag to the bottom of the tank. Seems like I just can't find them a happy place, they are never all opened & looking happy at the same time. I may not get anymore of those.

My Sand Sea Star is doing a great job but it may take him a couple of weeks just to get the front of the tank done. The little area he has worked on looks good tho.
SNAILS: The LFS owner picked out my CUC snails for me. He didn't get me any under sand snails...are there "under sand snails"? That may sound dumb to be asking, but I saw one of the LFS worker digging in the sand...when I asked him if he was looking for a sand star, he said "no, trying to find some "serious snails" Hummm....maybe I need some if those "serious snails" ??? Tell me more about them PLEASE someone. I just love you all for helping me, THANKS :heart:

mtsully71

Diana,

In response to your buying fish online I have almost strictly used shipping to get my fish for many years becasue I live in MT. I have had good luck buying fish from Blue Zoo Aquatics as well as live aquaria. As Nob said some fish just dont handle shipping well. I read a post recently about acclimation of fish, which I think is the most critical part either from a LFS or shipped. One member did it the same way I do more less...I float the bag for 15 min, then I drip acclimate them (3-4 drops per second) until I have doubled the water. I do two cycles and there is also a small heater in my bucket as it takes sometimes 2 hours to acclimate. I have had great succes using this method and have applied this to my corals also.

IMO dont be afraid to order online....However, do understand some online/shipping stores leave soemthing to be desired....Stay mainstream and you will do fine.

Fed em less, they arent going to starve :)

I think a few Nassarius snails and mybe a couple of Astrea snails would benefit your tank....especially the nassarius ( i love em in my tank), they eat everything not nailed down. When you feed your tank they pop outta the sand to get their share. They are entertaining to watch, as if a snail could be interesting :spinner:

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
Not enough flow could also contribute to your algae problem. Most people do add several powerheads(not return pumps), especially if they are going to add a variety of corals. There are all brands: Koralia, Tunze, Vortech plus many others. These three have magnetic bases and therefore you do not have to depend on suction cups which normally either won't stick to start with or fail after time.

Should I be putting in another powerhead? Seems like I have good water circulation with just the return pumps...but this is new to me still & I'd like opinions. I really, really like less plug-ins and less mechanical things in the DT....that's why I loved the RSM system. But I guess if it's needed, someone please suggest a less invasive looking one. And show me or tell me where to run the electrical cord to & out the back of the tank?

As for feeding the fish, is once a day: TOO MUCH? I know they are eating a few pods throughout the day but most reviews on fish say to feed them 2 or 3 times a day. I only feed once a day & I try not to put in more than they can eat up in about 3 minutes time. Sometimes with the Rod's Frozen Food...that's kinda hard to tell if it's eaten or not. That's some messy stuff!

I moved my palys frag to the bottom of the tank. Seems like I just can't find them a happy place, they are never all opened & looking happy at the same time. I may not get anymore of those.

My Sand Sea Star is doing a great job but it may take him a couple of weeks just to get the front of the tank done. The little area he has worked on looks good tho.
SNAILS: The LFS owner picked out my CUC snails for me. He didn't get me any under sand snails...are there "under sand snails"? That may sound dumb to be asking, but I saw one of the LFS worker digging in the sand...when I asked him if he was looking for a sand star, he said "no, trying to find some "serious snails" Hummm....maybe I need some if those "serious snails" ??? Tell me more about them PLEASE someone. I just love you all for helping me, THANKS :heart:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Thanks Sully! I'm just thinking that the LFS owner didn't get me any of the more expensive snails maybe because I was getting them at CUC price of 15 for $30.00. The ones I got are awesome (two different kinds for sure, but I don't know what kinds) None of them have gone under the sand that I've seen, and I've watched my tank way too much! I used to get one my exercise machine daily for an hour...I'm slacking on that habit, this tank watching doesn't burn many calories. LOL!

The only bad part about having these precious beautiful fish is not being able to to take them out & KISS :heart: them when I tell the how pretty they are. I think they love me, but maybe they only want MORE FOOD! :yup:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

mtsully71

Diana

I scrolled your thread and it appears you have a couple of Turbo snails and some Astraea. Take a look at the Nassarius, Bumblebees (love these guys too) and the cerith, all would be good choices for your substrate and tank rock/glass.

I really dont use the turbo snails anymore in my tanks, for no real reason other than other algae grazer like Astraea and Nerite snails can get into smaller areas.

Also, I no you don't want to do it (maybe you did and I missed it), but you really should get some red or blue reef hermit crabs. They would help a ton if you are overfeeding a little. :thumbup:

Blackbeltmom's suggestion of a powerhead is also a good idea +1 to that.

I also use an MP10 as Glenn does and many other forum members.....I like it alot +1

Hope this helps

Sully

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
Diana

I scrolled your thread and it appears you have a couple of Turbo snails and some Astraea. Take a look at the Nassarius, Bumblebees (love these guys too) and the cerith, all would be good choices for your substrate and tank rock/glass.

I really dont use the turbo snails anymore in my tanks, for no real reason other than other algae grazer like Astraea and Nerite snails can get into smaller areas.

Also, I no you don't want to do it (maybe you did and I missed it), but you really should get some red or blue reef hermit crabs. They would help a ton if you are overfeeding a little. :thumbup:

Blackbeltmom's suggestion of a powerhead is also a good idea +1 to that.

I also use an MP10 as Glenn does and many other forum members.....I like it alot +1

Hope this helps

Sully

I actually have a used MP10ES for sale.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Thank you all SO MUCH!! :heart:
I am taking everything in consideration FOR SURE. I will add the MP10 a little later when I get more corals. Wondering how the fish like all that much currant? I like that it has a battery back-up. Is that re-chargeable?

And SULLY...I took your advice & recommendation...JUST PLACED MY 1st LIVE FISH ON-LINE ORDER. I ordered from Blue Zoo & I scheduled delivery for March 5th. I'm excited & hope I love my Midas Blenny, new zoas frag, mushrooms, & 18 Nassarius snails.
I hope they use heat packs, worries me ordering live stuff that could die during the winter. I might should have asked them....they do have a live delivery guarantee & FREE shipping w/big enough order. So :yehoo: and :fingerx: for getting a NEW FISH :)

mtsully71

Diana,

Congrats you wont be disapointed, just acclimate them slowly. Yes they will have heat packs, most good companies will check the temp for that area and pack them accordingly. I have recieved fish at 10 above and they were still nice a warm in the box. Enjoy the new arrivals

Dont forget you could always call em and add a nice gobie ;) Rainford's Goby, Court Jester Goby - Amblygobius rainfordi This little guy I did add to mine...he is active and he sifts a little sand, BUT what I have seen is he does it right near the sand bed (hence its not all over the rock or as aggresive a sifter as other gobies). He doesnt burrow and eats whatever I put into the tank. Very nice goby IMO

I know, I love gobies :bouncer: the more the merrier, I am thinking I will get one more of them such as Pinkbar Goby, Shrimp Goby - Cryptocentrus aurora or Green Banded Goby - Elacatinus multifasciatus. So many choices

It is fun, is it not? :pBJ:

Sully

Last edited:

mtsully71

My MP10 does not have the battery backup. You have to buy that separately.

and IMO if you you dont have power, you have a bigger issues like HEAT, LIGHTS and the beer getting warm in the fridge :cry1:

Seriously though, if your tank as a whole is not designed to turn off or turn something on in the event of power event. Then a battery back-up for just a water circulation pump may be a waste of money, unless of course you dont mind spending the money. Just my 2 cents

JoeCanada11

Looking great Diana. It's quite amazing adding new corals and watching things grow. Love your feather dusters too hey are quite cool.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Ok Sully, if the power goes out, hubby's beer (I don't drink) can be iced down in an ice chest....You can bet he will be hooking up the generator to keep my tank chiller, heater & power going. ;) For the price those MP10 ES's are, they should come with a battery back up too. It's on my list of "things I need".

Nob35

Your tank looks like it is coming along great. Are those true precula clowns? That is what I have and if your duster lets them they will be hosting them if you do not get something else for them to host, my female never goes far from the duster and the duster loves it it does not close at all anymore unless I stick my hand in and touch it.

I will be looking for a couple more but think I will go more to the coco worms I have a red and white coco and want to get a red and maybe a yellow but the yellows are hard to find as I have only seen pics of them.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Your tank looks like it is coming along great. Are those true precula clowns? That is what I have and if your duster lets them they will be hosting them if you do not get something else for them to host, my female never goes far from the duster and the duster loves it it does not close at all anymore unless I stick my hand in and touch it.

I will be looking for a couple more but think I will go more to the coco worms I have a red and white coco and want to get a red and maybe a yellow but the yellows are hard to find as I have only seen pics of them.

Thanks Nob! No, I think someone here ID'd my clowns as False Perculas. I just know they were in a tank and marked as "SOLD" for several weeks & I asked if the LFS could order me some like them & the owner sold them to me that day, saying he would get the other customer another pair because the tank they were intended for wasn't ready yet. As long as they have been together alone, I'm hoping they will be a "mated pair". They seem to love each other :heart: I love my dusters too....I would like to get some colored Coco Worms. After I get this on-line order & see how it goes...I may start shopping on-line. The 90 min. Drive to the fish store & then they don't have what I want, is a bummer. Coco Worms are probably not as hardy. I'm not thinking I want a nem...too much about them I'd worry about. Like them moving where I didn't want them!

Nob35

Ordering online is okay if you look at the WYSIWYG sections otherwise you are not sure of exactly what your getting. For fish it is not that much of a problem because they will look close enough to other pics. As for corals and polyps you do not know how small and the exact colors your getting so makes it a little harder. I've been happy with most things I have bought from liveaquaria whether it was fish or corals. Fish are easy because if there is a problem with them you will know quickly and if they die you just call the retailer and they credit you but with corals you may not know anything for over a month and the guarantee runs out before you know.

Spirofucci

Just got done reading your thread! Great job so far!!

IMO, there is almost no such thing as too much flow in a reef tank. As mentioned already, I highly recommend at least one MP10 in there and if you can, get it with the battery back up!

Keep up the great work!

Oh btw, I order all my fish, corals and supplies on line. Never had a problem. My favorite place for corals is the Reefgardener. Morgan is great! Her corals arrive pest free and look better in person than her pics. 90% of the corals in my tank have come from her.

mtsully71

Just got done reading your thread! Great job so far!!

IMO, there is almost no such thing as too much flow in a reef tank. As mentioned already, I highly recommend at least one MP10 in there and if you can, get it with the battery back up!

Keep up the great work!

Oh btw, I order all my fish, corals and supplies on line. Never had a problem. My favorite place for corals is the Reefgardener. Morgan is great! Her corals arrive pest free and look better in person than her pics. 90% of the corals in my tank have come from her.

That looks like a nice site and the prices seem reasonable, thanks for sharing the info.