DianaKay's RSM 250

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Posting beautiful fish pictures on my thread, no worries: I LOVE IT!! :)
I've never seen clowns like those, they are AWESOME! (And I bet SUPER PRICEY!)
I don't get off until 6pm & I want to go home SO BAD right now to check on my new additions. :(
I think I'm obsessed but I don't think I'm alone with this obsession :updown:
I'm going to keep a watch on your tread to see how your precious white clowns do :)

LSUFireGal

I need to start a thread for my biocube for sure now. My son has named them Peter and Lois Griffin. Ha ha. I will get that thread up and running tonight.

I understand the obsession factor. I was totally freaked out by fish, never thought I could have an aquarium in my home. I still will do ANYTHING to avoid reaching into the tank, but I am so in love with those little guys. I think it must be bc of the way my son opens up around the tank and the fact that those little guys make him so happy. My husband just shakes his head.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Got home from work to find my newest addition looking very pretty....LOOK at these blue eyes :)
CDFFD1FD-9C64-42EE-BD68-380EB1A6EF8D-21576-000027A9F06E6572_zps5bc1245a.jpg
[/IMG]
And here's one of ALL FOUR of my little fish...
987C0C2C-F826-4F80-9A37-DEB9F2323A79-21576-000027A9A2453606_zps18cc8ad6.jpg
[/IMG]
My new zoas & mushrooms still look like they need a few more days of recovery time....still look jet lagged.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Oh, my MP10 should arrive TOMORROW! I'm hoping to see the bubbles on the rocks that's started the last few days go away with more water flowing. Not sure what causes them....any suggestions? I only tested nitrites & nitrates yesterday, both ZERO.

jerry26

I zoomed in on one of your pics and was able to see some of them. Theyre not trapped inside of some brown stringy stuff are they?

Edit.. looks like they are. Whats your current run time for your lights?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Thanks for looking Jerry! Seems like they have popped up on lots of my live (& my new dry rock) just today. I run my stock t5's on my timer. Comes on at 10am and off at 7:45pm. I have that brown string stuff, what is it? I just assumed it is part of "new tank syndrome" & would go away eventually. The mushroom rock in the picture was just added yesterday also. I was a little concerned about the red (algae?) on it. I don't have any that red, is red OK?

jerry26

I think its dinoflagellates. At least thats the only thing i could come up with when it was happening to me. My actinics run from 1-230pm and 730-9pm, the five hours in between my halides are on. With this cycle they went away on their own. Id say try shortening your cycle to eight hours. Ihave mine come on later so i can shut them off later and be able to see them when i get home.

Eventually itll spread onto everything. Sand, glass, rock, everything.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Gorgeous new Midas Blenny - Soooo very pretty great addition
1085.gif

on the bubbles... my guess... is it's part of the nitrogen cycle (like in a lake fishing, when you see bubbles coming up from the lake bottom - decaying organic material) not to worry... still young tank & part of the maturing process, best tip... is one I repeat a lot ;)

Don't overfeed, it's very easy to do
1101.gif

Konyak

Awesome Blenny, congrats :) Does he dart out to feed real fast? I don't get tired of seeing my Hancock Blenny do that.

Tank is looking good, I can see why you want to get home from work if you only see it lit for under 2 hours after you get home.. I let my lights come on later and stay on till 10Pm.

Spirofucci

New Midas! These little guys have so much personality. I named mine Dr. Seuss, lol.

As long as you have a decent cuc, don't worry about all that pest algae, it will go away!

Great pics btw!!!!

mtsully71

Nice blenny Diana, I hope your happy with your order from Blue Zoo. IMO I thought the fish I got from them were bigger than what I ordered. Did you think so?

Sully

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Awesome Blenny, congrats :) Does he dart out to feed real fast? I don't get tired of seeing my Hancock Blenny do that.

Tank is looking good, I can see why you want to get home from work if you only see it lit for under 2 hours after you get home.. I let my lights come on later and stay on till 10Pm.
He hasn't found a "hole" yet...he likes just perching on the top rock next to my toadstool coral. He sleeps under that coral (so far) & he ate a few bites on his 1st meal with tank mates. I'm hoping to get to see what he does during the day. I've had to work everyday since he arrived but I will be off work most of the week coming up :dance: and we can get to know each other better :)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Nice blenny Diana, I hope your happy with your order from Blue Zoo. IMO I thought the fish I got from them were bigger than what I ordered. Did you think so?

Sully

Yep Sully, he was BIGGER than I expected him to be & so were the zoas....not sure about the mushrooms yet. I will figure out how to leave positive feed back for Blue Zoo next week.
I need to figure out how often I can add coral pieces & not over load my 2 month old tank's bio capabilities.
There are TOO MANY MORE things I need to learn about corals....I just think they are PRETTY :)

jerry26

Fish are going to have the most impact on your bio. Youre just looking to prevent ammonia/nitrite and possibly chemical warfare(your toadstool). One or two a week should be fine but make sure you test frequently after adding new arrivals. If you notice even the smallest amount of ammonia and/or nitrite and/or corals not opening fully, youve pushed your luck too far.

Edit... This is assuming they are small corals.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I think its dinoflagellates. At least thats the only thing i could come up with when it was happening to me. My actinics run from 1-230pm and 730-9pm, the five hours in between my halides are on. With this cycle they went away on their own. Id say try shortening your cycle to eight hours. Ihave mine come on later so i can shut them off later and be able to see them when i get home.

Eventually itll spread onto everything. Sand, glass, rock, everything.

OMGosh! I am so afraid that this is what is happening in my tank :waa: I've taken a turkey baster & blown the bubbles off my corals & rocks & it just comes right back. I have noticed that the tiny bubbles that stick on my glass ALL have tiny brown stings attached to them. All these bubbles blow off very easily with a turkey baster but it's almost like doing it helps them make more.
I don't like what I've read so far....that most people tear down their tanks when they get dinoflagellates. :(
Any cures short do that? I have not check any levels except nitrates & nitrites in a while. They were both ZERO this week.
THIS IS NOT LOOKING GOOD :( Anyone had this and got rid of it? :help:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Here's what it looks like....and I got it off earlier today with a turkey baster, back already :(

3609DA3F-D5F2-4B2C-81F9-1483250EDA80-8058-0000091E4E482CAF_zpsc36c840c.jpg
[/IMG]
A4396CFF-21E4-437C-9971-7717D07B9FBB-8058-0000091E5882369F_zps8778341c.jpg
[/IMG]

jerry26

..that most people tear down their tanks when they get dinoflagellates.

no no no.

i started running carbon and gfo and it didnt really seem to be doing much but once i reduced my light cycle like i said, it went away within about a week. ive read about people reducing their lights all the way down to 5 hours, but eight worked for me.

if you have carbon/gfo, use it. i cant say this was what helped me but im going to assume it did. if you dont have any just follow the usual rules and keep up your regular water changes, dont overfeed.... the usual.

reduce your light cycle by a couple of hours... this is what i believe had the biggest role. with my current light cycle i only notice a random hair every now and then.

ever since i changed my bulbs, and with the exception of the apparent dino, the success of my tank has skyrocketed. even with what sounds like a short light cycle.

oh and mine was the same way, id clean it off and by the end of the day it was back. seemed like i could sit there and watch it grow.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Thanks Jerry! I'm going to cut my lights WAY BACK. As for my filtration on my media shelf, I have 2 bags of CPE & a packet of purigen. I have a PLENTY unopened packages of each but it shouldn't be time to change them out yet. Think new or more would help? I change my filter floss (blue & white cut to fit) every few days.
I think this could be partly due to not enough water flow (dead spots) before I put my MP10 in yesterday. I don't seem to have any dead spots with the new MP10 running.
I hope leaving the lights off & keeping the MP10 cranked up helps this go away.
I only feed the fish once a day & try not to feed stuff I can't control the amount. I have to work tomorrow so I will just leave the lights off until I get home. Thanks for your encouraging help, very much appreciated!