Designer Clownfish... Should I Buy a Pair?

Roots

I am eyeballing this pair of snowflakes. What do you guys think. I have a 20 Gal. Long that I was thinking could be their home as a possible breeding tank. They could have it all to themselves. Sure would be cool to have some Clownfish babies sometime in the future. :smoking:

lg-0820121-392P.jpg

DaveK

Certainly what you plan will work. If you like the fish, then by all means go for it. However, make sure this is what you really want. Will the tank still be interesting to you 5 years from now? Since it's a comparatively small tank, I would caution about adding an anemone. While people often do it, it's very easy for an anemone to get sucked into the filtration system or a powerhead. Also some anemones can get big.

Roots

Certainly what you plan will work. If you like the fish, then by all means go for it. However, make sure this is what you really want. Will the tank still be interesting to you 5 years from now? Since it's a comparatively small tank, I would caution about adding an anemone. While people often do it, it's very easy for an anemone to get sucked into the filtration system or a powerhead. Also some anemones can get big.
I'm a pretty hardcore fish nut. I think they will be interesting to me forever. I love my aquariums and their inhabitants. No plans to have a nem in the breeder. I already have a GB Maroon Clown in my big DT Reef that is hosting a Purple Tip Sebae Nem. I know that it will just be easier to do a simple bare bones breeder. Just Sand, Rock and possibly some decorative Macros. No corals, no nems.

They just listed up a few more pairs..... I can't make a decision. I know I'm gonna get some at some point. I just haven't pulled the trigger on these yet...... Thinking..... Thinking.....

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Im all for getting a pair of fish if they appeal to you, But if you plan to raise clowns from eggs to 6mo juv's you better be ready for it to be a full time job for the first 21-30 days after they hatch. Baby clowns have to be fed 3 times a day, special diet that has to be live food, and you have to have batches ready to go constantly, oh and these require alot of attention to maintain too.

I love clowns. Id never consider attempting to raise babies. I have a full time 11 hr a day job that i love.

Roots

Im all for getting a pair of fish if they appeal to you, But if you plan to raise clowns from eggs to 6mo juv's you better be ready for it to be a full time job for the first 21-30 days after they hatch. Baby clowns have to be fed 3 times a day, special diet that has to be live food, and you have to have batches ready to go constantly, oh and these require alot of attention to maintain too.

I love clowns. Id never consider attempting to raise babies. I have a full time 11 hr a day job that i love.
I too love Clownfish. They are my favorite fish in the ocean. Fortunately for me I work from home and have a very flexible work schedule that would allow me as much time as is necessary to tend to the newly hatched fry. I am in the process of setting up a brine shrimp hatchery so that I can have a freshly hatched batch of baby brine, never more than 8 hours old (They are most nutritious when they are newly hatched and still have their yolk sac still attached and full of nutrients.) to feed to my Mandarin and they can be used to feed the Clownfish fry as well. I don't mind getting another tank for raising the fry if necessary and in general I don't mind the extra upkeep. I'm looking into raising my own phytoplankton as well. I already have 7 tanks going at the moment between my freshwater and saltwater. I plan on getting rid of a couple of my freshwater tanks and focusing more attention on my growing saltwater addiction. I can appreciate people being concerned though, and thank you.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Sounds like you know what you're in for and are ready to take on the challenge. I hope you will start a thread on the project so we can all follow along with you.

Intranick

My only concern is if you try to breed them, make sure they're not from the same lineage. often times, if they're actually sold as a pair, and they're "designer" they can be. however, if you place one "designer" with a "regular" you still, i think, get a high enough chance of offspring being designer, and you can sell both regular and designer.

We should come up with a method of DNA analysis for these things to make sure that they're different enough ;) haha.

Apart from breeding, if you dont intend to hatch any eggs, i say go for it!!! but just think, you dont want inbreeding ever.

Roots

My only concern is if you try to breed them, make sure they're not from the same lineage. often times, if they're actually sold as a pair, and they're "designer" they can be. however, if you place one "designer" with a "regular" you still, i think, get a high enough chance of offspring being designer, and you can sell both regular and designer.

We should come up with a method of DNA analysis for these things to make sure that they're different enough ;) haha.

Apart from breeding, if you dont intend to hatch any eggs, i say go for it!!! but just think, you dont want inbreeding ever.
Ahhh, I hadn't thought of that. The pairs I am looking at are being sold as bonded pairs. I hope that would mean that they each came from different brood stock within S.A.'s breeding facility. I don't know though for sure. I guess if they started having deformed babies I would know, and that would sure be disappointing...... These fish are pricey and I would hate to buy a pair for breeding purposes and find out they aren't suitable breeders.

Intranick

interesting enough, look at the dorsal and adipose fins on that pair. notice the slight differences. i wonder if that could be a hint to different genetic line..

Roots

Sooo, I finally pulled the trigger on them. I watched them on Diver's Den for a day and a half while other pairs sold within minutes or hours of hitting the site, this pair lingered and I took that as a sign that they were meant for me. So I bought them. I also ordered a nice combo zoa colony rock in order to make the minumum for free shipping. They should be here on Friday. I'll start a new thread once they arrive to document their setup and my journey into hopefully successful breeding of the pair down the road a bit. I can't wait until they arrive. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas Day!

interesting enough, look at the dorsal and adipose fins on that pair. notice the slight differences. i wonder if that could be a hint to different genetic line..
Perhaps. I hope so. Guess we'll see what happens down the road.
Great looking fish and if you really like them then go buy them, for me 2 $12 Clarkis are my clown of choice
Everyone has their favorites. Personally I have been drawn to the Snowflake and Black Ice and Snow Onyx varieties since I first discovered them. Now I will finally have a pair.

Roots

:geekin:Hey, thanks guys! I really appreciate all the feedback and encouragement. I am starting to settle in here at ReefSanctuary and I am liking the overall feel of the place. I enjoy sharing my experiences and sharing in other's as well. I'm going to be joining my local Aquarist's Club for that reason. I'm looking forward to being an active member here and sharing my journey with you all. :hug1: :thumber:

Roots

:geekin:Hey, thanks guys! I really appreciate all the feedback and encouragement. I am starting to settle in here at ReefSanctuary and I am liking the overall feel of the place. I enjoy sharing my experiences and sharing in other's as well. I'm going to be joining my local Aquarist's Club for that reason. I'm looking forward to being an active member here and sharing my journey with you all. :hug1: :thumber:

:bump:3 Bumpity Bumb...

I recieved shipping confirmation and according to my tracking info, my package is only going to be in transit for a maximum of about 14-15 hours. Hopefully all goes well! :fingerx: