Dentoid's Reeforama

DrHank

Scott, I believe that it's just a matter of time before your fish is going to have shrimp for dinner. It's one of the reasons that, although I think the fish is a beauty, I wouldn't try one.

Gracious what a heated thread we have going here, all over my little fishy. hehe

Its Bodianus sepiacaudus, a few other people like Liveaquaria have the same hog and it is advertised similarly. Julian Sprung, Tony Vargas, and Sanjay came over to my house a few years back to see my peppermint and my tank. They were hoping that my peppermint was the b. masudai which is much rarer. But mine is a sepiacaudus like Scott's and most of the ones available right now are the same.

Heinz: Your link to bodianus opercularis actually has the wrong picture for that fish. If you look up the same name on fishbase.org they have different pictures for that fish.

Here's a rainford's:

rain.jpg

Peppermint hogs are more like true hogs than other wrasses and definately not gobies. As they become larger they develop a very hog like face that differentiates them from other smaller wrasses.

My hog is nearly 5" long and is very well behaved in my tank. It is territorial against new fish of similar body shape, etc but doesn't bother established tank mates. Mine was already 3 inches when I got him so he had a developed taste for shrimp which I encouraged. I have heard of other peppermints eating their fish tank mates but mine has always been good in that respect, of course I keep him well fed.

Scott's guy might not go for the shrimp as much when he gets older because he will be raised with shrimp, just like my lionfish doesn't go for his tank mates.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Thanks Morgan!:D It's nice to have the opinion of someone who has had experience with this species. I guess time will tell with regards to the shrimps. Right now this guy is small enough to be eaten by the shrimps!:lol:

Do you mean at CZ? I've been frequenting this one more lately mostly because the posts are updated more often and the people are fun to chat with.
I'm planning to test out a few more forums as far as sponsoring is concerned to see which one gets the most traffic to my website.

michael_cb_125

Sorry guys, I already got dibs. I told Scott to buy him, and if the little guy misbehaves, Scott is going to send him to me, along with that nice Ricordea Rock. :)