Dentoid's Reeforama

vdituri

That sucks about the urchin muncher Scott.
What is your algae status in your tank?
Maybe it's running out of stuff to graze on.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Scott... IDEA here!!!

Maybe you need to start "aqua-culturing" plate corals (much like we do Phyto) for a future business as "Urchin-Chow"

cindyp

Here are some tank shots at 8 weeks:
IMG_0686.jpg

Left side.

IMG_0687.jpg

Right side.

I do like the caulerpa and other macros, I have to keep it under strict control though. I will eventually try to rid my LR of it because it can be potentially harmful.

what is that red thing in the front? I love red....

cindyp

Thanks AL i'll do some reading on it. I just love the red and I sure could use a little color in the tank...

lcstorc

:LOL:

I had to shoo my urchin away from it the other day. That damn echinoderm ate my last fungia!

Interestingly enough I was re-reading one of my favorite books "Reef Invertebrates" :) and today I was reading about sea urchins. Apparently, most of them are opportunistic feeders and eat pretty much whatever is in their way. Most do not go after corals but an LPS or softie that it runs across isn't necessarily safe.
I am debating getting one of the decorator urchins since they are so adorable and I can't think of anything they could really damage in my tank other than perhaps a mushroom or two and I would love for them to have a caluerpa snack to help me get rid of the darn stuff.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Interestingly enough I was re-reading one of my favorite books "Reef Invertebrates" :) and today I was reading about sea urchins. Apparently, most of them are opportunistic feeders and eat pretty much whatever is in their way. Most do not go after corals but an LPS or softie that it runs across isn't necessarily safe.
I am debating getting one of the decorator urchins since they are so adorable and I can't think of anything they could really damage in my tank other than perhaps a mushroom or two and I would love for them to have a caluerpa snack to help me get rid of the darn stuff.

Just what I suspected, thoughless feeders those prickly urchins! :lol: I'm glad you like the book!

There is no better gift than the gift of education, IMO. :hug1:

Thanks for stopping by CindyP. That lovely macro algae grew out of my LR, rather quckly. When I added my Foxface Rabbit fish, that was his favorite eats. In fact all of that macro algae you see in that shot, both red and green, were consumed by my Foxface over time. There is not one lick of macro algae in my tank. I believe it's a Halyminea species.

Al, that is a riot! "UrchinFeast! Step right up, get your
UrchinFeast!"

Jeremy, I'll see what I can do. Not much has changed since my last FTS.

Craig, it's really hard to decide. I find the urchin fascinating and beautiful. It came as a HH and was the size of a pencil eraser. Now it's the size of a tennis ball. I'm pretty much attached to it. The decision is going to be hard. Like Lynn said, I think it was a random, drive-by eating! :lol:

Victor, thanks for stopping by. There is no macro algae, but there seems to be enough coraline algae. This urchin will strip a rock of coraline in coluple of hours. It's freaky!

:hallo: Brenda, nice of you to stop-in!

hma

Hi Scott ...just stopping by. I am sorry to hear about your Fungia but Diadema setosum are known to eat coral polyps. I had these sea urchin also but in my FO.

Reef save are the following types of sea urchins:
Salmacis bicolor and Salmacis sphaeroides, Mespilia globulus, Metalia sternalis, Toxopneustes pileolus and Tripneustes gratilla. I had all these species, all eat exclusively algae (exept Metalia sternalis – detrius) while Tripneustes gratilla is the best algae eater.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Thanks Heinz! :D The urchin that came as a HH has not been carnivorous to date except for the fungia incident. I may have the Diadema antillarum, although, I have not been able to definitively ID the species.

Here are some pictures I took tonight.

My cloned RBTA has moved to the opposite end of the tank and looks beautiful!

DSC_0004-38.jpg

Here is the mother RBTA with her clowns. She has stayed in the same spot.

DSC_0012-22.jpg

FTS!

DSC_0017-13.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm thinking you have a GOOD friend in NC that NEEDS one of those RBTA :)

Holy Cow! Man I'm going to go remove all of my pics NOW! I can't take the pressure any more!! LOL!!

Seriously you have a talent and an eye for the Reef Beauty! WOW!!

vdituri

Wow. A couple hours for your urchin to clean a rock of coralline? Crazy.
My pencil urchin was slow.

How red are those shrooms with the clone RBTA? Are they as red as they look in the pics? All the ones I see for sale are brick red/orange.
Just curious.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I'm thinking you have a GOOD friend in NC that NEEDS one of those RBTA :)

Holy Cow! Man I'm going to go remove all of my pics NOW! I can't take the pressure any more!! LOL!!

Seriously you have a talent and an eye for the Reef Beauty! WOW!!

Thanks Al! Your pictures are great, what are you talking about?!

vdituri
How red are those shrooms with the clone RBTA? Are they as red as they look in the pics? All the ones I see for sale are brick red/orange.
Just curious.

Those shrooms are as red as you see them in the photo.