Deltec mc500 and Red Sea 250... here we go!

Max250

Hi guys. Hey Aussie, I'm not sure of your question, where are you getting massive amounts of water? In the skimmer cup? My water level in the DT is just below the trim, never touching the plastic supports. Once you have got the water level in the DT at the right spot then you can control the level in the back chambers by adding/removing water.

Got my Deltec on the way. :) What do I need to do exactly to get it to fit right and have the skimmer top close properly? Does anything have to be removed in the rear section of the tank? Thanks

I'm having some trouble getting the mc500 to run correctly. I'm installing it now and everytime I turn it on it overflows. I have the skimmer 80mm out of the water like the instructions said and the air value is just barley open. With the cup raised all the way up I'm still getting overflow. Any help would be appreciated.

tnwillia

I don't have one but in general your going to have a break-in period where it's going to overflow for a few days to a couple of weeks. I'd raise it as hihg as possible to start and lower it as the cup allows. Others will jump in here to help you, Good luck with it!

I can't get it to stop overflowing, no matter if I raise the water level or lower it. Still wants to overflow even with the air value barley open.

tnwillia

Take a look again at page 3 post 44 and 5 post 61. compare these to your water level in the back chamber, maybe drop that level for a week as the skimmer breaks in. Good luck!

I dropped my water level down to the 4th notch in the back on the tank. Now I have the cup raised at full height just to help it not overflow. Hopefully once it breaks in I can lower the cup and close the lid in the back.

Edit-It started to overflow again.

tnwillia

Close off the air line, hope that stops the overflow, and just let the water run thru it for a few days as it builds up the film on the plastic body. After a couple of days you can try to open the air line up a little and see how it goes, it should get better daily. Remember everything in your tank effects the bubble production, food, oils on your hands, additives. Not having the skimmer running correctly for a few days/weeks as it breaks in is not going to hurt your tank. it just takes some time, Good luck!

Thanks for all the help. I had to raise the filter floss. It was backing the rest of the tank up in the back section. Once I raised the filter floss the water was too high. Lowered the water in the back of the tank to the right height. I'm about 2 inches from closing the top now. :) Should be able to lower it more once it breaks in better.

Is it okay to turn the mc500 around so that the back is facing forward? The black part is to the front of the tank.

tnwillia

Again, I don't have one but looking at the picture of it seems it flows from the sides so I don't see why not. Are you going to loose your view of your bubble column by turning it around (black to the front)? Myself, I want to be able to see the bubble column for adjustments and general daily operation? Glad you got it sorted out! Have fun!

infer66

Just lift the partition wall that is touching the pump by a tiny ammount. Then the vibrasion is gone.
Mine overflowed for a couple of days also. Now I keep the water level at the 4th notch down and is runs perfectly.

N83259

Great thread, thanks. Nice to know that this works, without modifications, if I ever decide to upgrade.

Do any other skimmer brands work for the RSM250 that are virtually "plug & play" ? I've seen some Tunze's that look like they might fit? Just curious if there are other options out there.

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
There is a Euroreef brand out there that fits, they have a thread running here if you do a search. I think they may have changed their name now though. Good luck.

The skimmer has been running for about 12 days. I keep the water level in the rear chamber at the 5th line. I'm getting pretty good skim but it still seems to be slighty over skimming??? The skimmer cup is raised as high as it can go for the lid to close. Also the air is barley open. It still seems to pull a lot of air regardless, even closed. Do you think the skimmer is still breaking in? Overall, I'm very happy with the skimmer so far, reduced my nitrates to zero. :)

N83259

PicassoTrigger :

Glad to see the mc500 is working out for you. When you say "overskimming," what exactly are you getting? Darker stinky water, or more solid crud? Is any of the foam overflowing back into the tank? And are you using an ATO device? Can the mc500 still skim correctly if the water level varies just a little (say 1 gallon/4L or so)? Or does the water level have to be in the exact same configuration to work properly?

And just to confirm: You did not have to modify the RSM250 in any way? It fits in the skimmer chamber, sitting on the bottom, and you can close the lid. And lastly, does the cup just pull out freely or do you have to unhook hoses or do other things? Please let me know if I have that right if you will........... Cheers - PAT

PicassoTrigger :

Glad to see the mc500 is working out for you. When you say "overskimming," what exactly are you getting? Darker stinky water, or more solid crud? Is any of the foam overflowing back into the tank? And are you using an ATO device? Can the mc500 still skim correctly if the water level varies just a little (say 1 gallon/4L or so)? Or does the water level have to be in the exact same configuration to work properly?

And just to confirm: You did not have to modify the RSM250 in any way? It fits in the skimmer chamber, sitting on the bottom, and you can close the lid. And lastly, does the cup just pull out freely or do you have to unhook hoses or do other things? Please let me know if I have that right if you will........... Cheers - PAT

By overskimming I'm getting some water in the skimmer cup but mostly nasty thick foam. The deltec works fine if the water drops, imo less water causes no issues. It's when you put too much water in the tank it wants to overflow. I have a ATO installed and it works well with the deltec. The skimmer doesn't sit on the bottom like the stock skimmer. It uses a bracet to hang in the rear chamber on the glass partition. The only thing you have to modify is a small piece of that plastic that prevents the deltec from sitting level. It only takes a few minutes to do this and you don't even notice it.

nanoskim

There is a Euroreef brand out there that fits, they have a thread running here if you do a search. I think they may have changed their name now though. Good luck.

Euroreef has been split into two new companies:

nanoreefsystems.com specializes in building skimmers for nanotanks and sumps.

Reefdynamics.com builds the bigger skimmers and sells aquarium supplies.

Hope this helps.