Deltec mc500 and Red Sea 250... here we go!

Max250

I've had the Sicce pump for about 5 months. It's got louder over the last few months and the air hole/intake needs cleaning every other week. The noise travels through the whole house!

I really can't stand it anymore - to a point where I would even cut the hood and shell out another £250.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Thanks Max250. I'm glad I have no room for a 250. If I did or ever do I'll do my own build - the 250 is beautiful but too many potential problems & headaches with RSM equipment. :(

Max250

I have managed to fit the Deltec MC 500 skimmer to my Max 250 without cutting the skimmer flap or the plastic partition!

It's easy. With a bit improvisation I attached the skimmer bracket to the small glass partition between the skimmer and the heater. I reduced the water level in the back so that the skimmer sits 8cm out of the water (as per instructions). The skimmer cup can be raised without effecting the skimmer flap.

I've removed the weir plate from the skimmer (that controls the water level within the skimmer) and I will adjust the water level in the back chamber instead.

The noise is reduced by at least 70% over the Sicce pump. It's really only the hood fans I can hear now. Woo Hoo! :)

Last edited:

Nowellsy SNR

I have managed to fit the Deltec MC 500 skimmer to my Max 250 without cutting the skimmer flap or the plastic partion!

It's easy. With a bit improvisation I attached the skimmer bracket to the small glass partition between the skimmer and the heater. I reduced the water level in the back so that the skimmer sits 8cm out of the water (as per instructions). The skimmer cup can be raised without effecting the skimmer flap.

I've removed the weir plate from the skimmer (that controls the water level within the skimmer) and I will adjust the water level in the back chamber instead.

The noise is reduced by at least 70% over the Sicce pump. It's really only the hood fans I can hear now. Woo Hoo! :)
Great stuff glad you have it sorted

Max250

The Deltec MC500 has now settled and is producing skimmate. I've noticed my tank temperature has reduced too (I had to switch my heater back on). It is so quiet compared to the stock skimmer.

I decided to install the skimmer the same way as gianluca. I cut out the small plastic bit on top of the glass partition between the skimmer/media chamber to hang the skimmer bracket. There is no need to cut the hood/flap. I removed the flap for a few days while the skimmer broke-in. I reduced the water level in the back chamber to 4 notches down.

This is the best £250 I have spent!

DeltecInstall3.jpg

DeltecInstall2.jpg

DeltecInstall5.jpg

DeltecInstall6.jpg

DeltecInstall4.jpg

DeltecInstall7.jpg

DeltecInstall8.jpg

DeltecInstall1.jpg

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
+1. Really interesting mod you did there. It's great to see other options to the RS skimmer as we all know what that is like.

tnwillia

Very nice. Can you give us a picture of what you consider your best/nasty skimmer cup when you get a chance? Your not running a sump are you, If so how have the water level adjustments effected your overflow? Thanks!

Aussie RSM250

The Deltec MC500 has now settled and is producing skimmate. I've noticed my tank temperature has reduced too (I had to switch my heater back on). It is so quiet compared to the stock skimmer.

I decided to install the skimmer the same way as gianluca. I cut out the small plastic bit on top of the glass partition between the skimmer/media chamber to hang the skimmer bracket. There is no need to cut the hood/flap. I removed the flap for a few days while the skimmer broke-in. I reduced the water level in the back chamber to 4 notches down.

This is the best £250 I have spent!

Great photo's. Can you help me I have basically installed MC500 in the same way you have. However still getting massive amount of water even at 1 o'clock for the air. You stated you lowered the back chambers water level down 4 notches - by your photo's it looks like your display area is still almost to the top of the glass. How do you do this. I am still very new to all of this. Any help would be appreciated

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Aussie RSM250

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

We would love to see you start a tank thread & post us some pics - we love pics - Cheers & best of luck getting the new skimmer sorted !