Deltec mc500 and Red Sea 250... here we go!

Does anyone have a problem with the deltec overflowing once it's been working fine? Runs great for a few days but seems to overflow for no reason. I'm noticing a noise coming for the air line that sounds like sucking through a straw.

The Reaper

A couple of months ago mine for no obvious reason starting overfilling!!! I could not understand why as I always run the same water levels. After some messing around I got it to stop overfilling by opening the air valve more lol Dont know why this would work as I would of thought by opening the air valve it would make it over flow more!!!! But for some reason it fixed the problem and the skimmer has been working fantastic.
I run my water on the fourth line down in the back chamber with the skimmer wier gate removed and the skimmer mounted on the plastic divider at its lowest mounted position. Its unbelievable the amount its pulls out!!!
I also make sure the blue sponge is clean and not clogged this can lead to overflilling.
Good luck with it!!!!

pocketreef

Hello,

My RSM250 skimmer pump impeller broke. I consulted RS which pointed me to a website in Germany asking 50€ for a new impeller :nekid: As I was unsure if the pump had also problems (119,90€ + shipping!!!) I decided to move to MC500 thanks to your success stories.

I installed the beast today, skimmate in 3 hours! I'm now fine-tuning it. As of noise the cup has a tiny diff to the body and ends-up vibrating, I fit a toothpick in between and now I cannot hear anything. :grind:

I'll keep you posted.

Max250

Good move pocketreef!

There is a screw on the partition to the left of the skimmer cup - tightening that should stop any vibration (it does the job of the toothpick).

I now use the skimmer's weir to fine tune (wet/dry skimmate) instead of adjusting water level in back chambers or changing the cup height.

pocketreef

Hello,

1 week after the Deltec installation I can share few things I learned about the Deltec MC500:

Installation is a piece of cake :bday1: I used a dremel to cut that small piece of plastic just like the others did;
It's really quiet once you adjust the cup;
Performance is excellent, even comparing to a well adjusted and clean stock skimmer. We got 1,5 liter of skimmate in 7 days.

skimmate-1.jpg

The drawbacks:

Its cup is very small, as I do not want to empty it every day I used a dosing pump to output the skimmate to the bottle. So, no longer a problem.
Cleaning the cup is as boring as with the stock. The plastic cuttings in the small cup are not easy to clean.
Only the frontal cup pane is transparent, I have to raise a bit the hood to see how things are. S.O.S SteveT....

I'm very happy with the new skimmer in action.

Happy Reefing in 2012!

ViperDoug

I installed this skimmer a few months ago and I am still having problems with it overflowing. Like others have mentioned, it will work great for a few days and then it starts to overflow. I have an auto top off to keep water level constant. I bought mine used and it didn't have an instruction manual. How exactly are you adjusting the weir in the skimmer? It skims great when it works, but this has been a frustrating experience.

Frankie

RS STAFF
The most common reason for skimmers to go nuts is from additives to the water.
Did you dose something new to the water recently?

Sent from my GSG4 communicator using Forum Runner

pocketreef

Hi,

Mine would overflow too if not automatically emptied every day. I'm still tuning it but I currently have the back chamber level at the 5th notch from the top. The skimmer weir is just around 3mm up. The lower water on the back increase the fan's performance, my chiller is working less.

I also noticed that it would overflow after the cup cleanup. After this I lowered the weir a bit. A dirt cup will then not provide as much skimmate volume, the same as in all other skimmers...

I hope this helps.