DeLaReef's RSM 130

Delareef123

Cycle parameters are the same on day 9.
Got all my goodies yesterday. Tunze 9001, media rack, truelumen blue less (bright!)

They all installed with no issues, quite fun actually. Would love to hear folks opinions on how much air flow. At wide open its a bubble maker and fills the cup. Tuned down and no bubbly. Seems to be sensitive. Any advice would be great.

Here is a picture of the 12" truelumen.

Delareef123

I also replaced the timer. Ran into an issue that i hope thos post will help others avoid.i have to older 130 not the 130D/C so turns out the dial sites a little higher on the new timer. When i screwed it all the way down the dial was jammed against the housing causing it to not move.
thought about it a while then realized some over sized diameter nuts would work. And sure enough they did. Timer works perfect. Here is a picture of the mod.20150505_103438.jpg

Delareef123

Okay, found a little critter growing on the rock. Not sure if good or invasive. Because in theory nothing should be growing in my tank.1430883155715.jpg 1430883155715.jpg
Any help now would be great1430883155715.jpg1430883155715.jpg

ic6194

It looks like Hydroids, theyre bad. I just had to remove some from my tank. Make sure you wear gloves as they can sting.

I could be wrong, someone else may have a better idea.

mtsully71

Agree with Glenn not a hydroid, but I will throw this at the wall and see if it sticks ;)

Tunicate Family Q-tip or Syconoid sponge, hard to positive ID, possible tube animal, but I think sponge

tunicate.jpg

If it was me, don't think I would be mobilizing the army :guns:

Last edited:

Delareef123

Thanks Sully, These guys have no color just translucent brown. So not 100% sure wither. I will keep an eye out.

ic6194

Do they look anything like these?
fc20d899d86fef67f1722d7ee121620b.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
on sully guess... it could still be right, while cycling & shipping of LR and possibly distressed they could have faded colors... both tunicates and sponges come in an array of colors

an couple examples

Tunicate.jpg

TunicatesB.jpg

Delareef123

Thanks all. So we are at day 11 and here are my test results.
Ammonia @ 0
Nitrites @ 3.0 ppm
Nitrates @ 20 ppm

I think its a liitle odd that my Nitrates are dropping when I expected them to be peaking.I did add a bag of Seachem Purigen in the Media rack. Should I take this out during the cycle?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I would remove the purigen while cycling... mess your test numbers all up

Purigen® controls ammonia, nitrites and nitrates by removing nitrogenous organic waste that would otherwise release these harmful compounds.

you can add it back after the cycle :)

Delareef123

So purigen is removed. The skimmer is producing some tea colored skimmate! (Thanks to Miro's tips)
Will certainly need to dial it in more but feeling much better about the set up now. ATO is coming in this week so that should help break-in and stabilize the skimmer.
At Day 13 levels are:
Ammonia @ 0
Nitrite @ 3ppm
Nitrates @ 20ppm

I consider the purigen the reason for the drop in Nitrite and Nitrate. This would be chemical no bio filter working which is not what I am looking for. So I will wait until my Nitrates spike which is the logical next step.

Delareef123

So i tested the water again last night and there has been a significant drop in Nitrite. It fell from 3ppm to .25ppm. Check with both API test kit and strips. What is odd is my nitrates have not gone up and still holding at 20ppm. In fact the API test reads zero! I even ran this test twice because it's the more complicated test (thus the purchase of the strip test). Purigen had been removed but i am thinking it messed with my biological cycle. Any thoughts?

Nitrite
nitrates API
both from stick test

20150508_174026.jpg20150508_174026.jpg 20150508_174042.jpg 20150508_175135.jpg

Oxylebius

Okay, found a little critter growing on the rock. Not sure if good or invasive. Because in theory nothing should be growing in my tank.View attachment 42441

Why would you think nothing should be growing in your tank? You bought live rock, right? That is what you stated in your first post. :) Then you will most likely find things growing.

Not a tunicate. Not likely hydroids either, a little too big. It is most likely a red or brown macro algae. There are a number of macro algae species that look like that, translucent with cylindrical and irregular branching.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Here what I would do... and advise, when there doubt, add another deli shrimp and mush him up, this would be just like a snail or fish died back in the rock scape once the tank was cycled, then test for another week, every day and you will know for sure where you are at & when it safe to add livestock

see what others think... weird you don't have nitrates, but rest assured, you didn't mess anything up and all will be fine... my guess if anything, the cycle just stalled from lack of food feeding the good bacteria

the addition shrimp mushed up, will be eaten by the cuc in one night, once the snails are added