DeLaReef's RSM 130

whip

Oxy,

Thanks for helping Delareef through this. Delareef and I started together (along with a bunch of other 130's) and it is a bummer seeing this happen. Hope it works.

Delareef,

POWER THROUGH IT!

Delareef123

Thanks Oxy, that's exactly where i was headed. The fish are doing better. The FW dip seemed to help the clown and the blenny is not as chalky today. My wife and I have decided to see how it goes the next few days without the QT approach.
The wrasse is still showing no signs of ill effect. Like i have said before i don't want to be reactionarie about every little thing with this tank as i was with the last one.
Will keep you posted and thanks again for all the support. Gotta love this forum.

DaveK

Brooklynella is a really fast killer. I am in complete agreement with the posts by @Oxylebius.

Remove all the fish to a quarantine tank, and treat with formalin. Time is critical. FW dips may buy you a little time, but it's not a cure.

IMHO, you also need a new LFS store guy or other source for correct advice. It's been my bitter experience that most LFS people are clueless when it come to any type of advanced aquarium system. Always verify any any information they or anyone else tells you.

Delareef123

Dave and Oxy are right on point. And i cannot thank everyone here enough for the support.
My last reef tank was over 15 years ago my kids were only as tall as my knees and they loved looking UP to the aquarium. Back then i treated any issue with the tank like it was an issue with my children because i was in full blown husbandry mode. My kids are now adults and they now stand OVER the tank. This time around i am going to be more relaxed with our hobby.
My primary objective was growing corals and so far so good. Judgement about adding fish to the tank has not been as good as coral additions on my part. The 2 fish i first added were what i would consider "tank cycle" fish just so you know where my mindset is.
Adding the BSJ was dumb on my part as everyone (including my LFS ) advised against it. So....... here i am dealing with unfortunate stuff brought on by me.

Update today.
No QT set up
Blenny is not gonna make the night
2 FW dips on clown - eating and doing fine no where near clear but promising
Wrasse is still showing no signs of infection

And Dave you are correct most of our LFS are doing what they need to do to sell product. My guy is a breath of fresh air. I will post a link to his store tomorrow.

I want to continue to post my journey in hopes it helps someone in the future having the same issues. And WHIP all we can do is power through my brotha!

Delareef123

Thanks Oxy, not looking to make them suffer and not looking to euthanize.
Here is today's update:
  • As I had suspected blenny did not make the night Sunday. He was in real bad shape.
  • Clown is doing much better. still shows some signs but overall much better. Fins and top of head have cleared up. Will continue FW dip every other day as it seems to be working well
  • Wrasse continues to show no signs
  • Water parameters are spot on

Oxylebius

I'd vacuum the sand bed. There is a phase in which the ich goes to the substrate, while there you can 'in theory' suck them out of your tank.

Delareef123

Thanks Oxy. And i have been vacuuming the bed. In fact did a good one last night during weekly water change.

So and update on my unconventional approach to Brook. Tuesday and Wednesday of last week were not good. The clown stayed in the rocks for the most part and was looking real pale. I had figured he wouldn't last the night. To my suprise he made it! So i gave him a FW dip on Thursday (the 5th one in a week) and he has been doing great ever since. Normal swimming and eating behavior and his color is back. In fact he has grown a bit. I know this is no sort of "free and clear" but its been 4 days and no need for FW dips.
Btw the wrasse is still showing absolutely no signs of issues.

Delareef123

So its been a week since the last FW dip and three since the Brook outbreak and the clown is doing very well. Color, breathing and eating are all good. Not gonna call it "clear" but certainly would move him from the critical list to recovery.
Wrasse still untouched. I'll keep ya posted.

Delareef123

Well its been 10 days and the clown is doing better and growing. No FW dips but i still don't want to call it free and clear for a while. If they make it to the end of October i may consider adding another fish.

On another note. Corals are doing good but my sps had started to bleach this week. As my LFS guy for suggestions. He told me to bring him a sample of my water to test salitinty. I have a hydrometer (yes the 10 dollor plastic thing) it always read 1.24. So i took the sample in and his refractometer (expensive thing) read 1.22! Whoa super low! Bringing up salinity for the last few days and the bleaching has stopped. Hopefully the sps will recover.

Always somthing to deal with and that's 1/2 the fun.

So last thing. I have a small aptasia growing in my zoa batch. It's small so i am just watching it now. Would love suggestions about to get rid of it while burried with the zoa patch

20150830_172059.jpg

Delareef123

Okay so the clown is going on three weeks with without a FW dip. His color is great and is getting bigger. So I am gonna call this episode of Brooklynela done.
Thanks everyone for your input and excellent advice. My LFS guy is not a noob by any stretch of the imagination. He listens and helps. Glad i have him around.
All else is good. I found out this week that i live 4 miles away from Marine Depot and they have a will call option. Awesome! Used it to replace my 130 lights. Will post separate for that SUPER important thing to do.
Here is skippy alive and healthy. :)

Delareef123

Its beem almost 2 months and the clown is fully recovered. I am gonna call this "all clear".
My LFS guy didn't give me bad advice. A few freshwater dips did the trick. Of course i was lucky it was the clown because i could catch him. VERY happy the results turned out well.
The wrasse is still healthy as ever. May add a fish in late October. Research time. :)

Delareef123

Now that I am fully clear of the Brook, I have decided to add another fish. My LFS had a beautiful Potter's Angel in stock that was eating like a pig. I have had him in the tank for 2 weeks now and he has been a model citizen. and he does eat like a pig!

Update on the tank overall.
The no so good:
  • SPS are not doing well. One bleached completely practically overnight. The other is bleaching at the base. The Angel does not bother it so it may be a rouge crab snacking on him.
  • I had a beautiful clam for about 2 months. Then one day I decided to turn on both of the return pumps. Well (rookie move) the water level dropped in the return tank and caused the ATO to replace with a ton of freshwater. This caused salinity to drop real low. My LFS stated that the clams were very sensitive to salinity and is most likely the reason is didn't make it.
  • Was cleaning the tank one night and my flower pot got knocked of the rock and landed on my bubble coral. I didn't notice right away so he sat on the bubble for a bit. The bubble literately nuked the flower pot. Was real bummed about that because the flower pot was growing really well. :(
The good:
  • Flame coral, hammerhead, Zoas, bubble, duncans, clove, xenia, candy cane and kenya are all doing wonderfully. The bubble is growing leaps and bounds every week. I had to frag my finger leather as it was becoming so large it was blocking the light to some of my other corals. You can see this in the pictures below. I fragged the large branch that is over the orange mushrooms.
  • Mushrooms are super hearty and doing great.
  • All the fish are getting along. The swim together all the time. No harassing and such.
  • Coraline is finally coming in
  • Maintenance is a breeze with this tank.
  • No odd outbreaks (knock on wood) everythign is very stable
I am heading out to Nevada next week so I am getting and auto feeder. I will post pictures of my set up once It's done.

whip

Well its been 10 days and the clown is doing better and growing. No FW dips but i still don't want to call it free and clear for a while. If they make it to the end of October i may consider adding another fish.

On another note. Corals are doing good but my sps had started to bleach this week. As my LFS guy for suggestions. He told me to bring him a sample of my water to test salitinty. I have a hydrometer (yes the 10 dollor plastic thing) it always read 1.24. So i took the sample in and his refractometer (expensive thing) read 1.22! Whoa super low! Bringing up salinity for the last few days and the bleaching has stopped. Hopefully the sps will recover.

Always somthing to deal with and that's 1/2 the fun.

So last thing. I have a small aptasia growing in my zoa batch. It's small so i am just watching it now. Would love suggestions about to get rid of it while burried with the zoa patch

View attachment 43818
Aptasia-X works awesome. Seriously. You drip some on them, they think it is food and eat it, then they explode. It is really quite entertaining.

Delareef123

Aptasia-X works awesome. Seriously. You drip some on them, they think it is food and eat it, then they explode. It is really quite entertaining.
Yep it does. I got those two bugers the other night with Ap-X. I was waiting for them to get a little bigger so i had a clear shot to the mouth. Works great

Delareef123

20151117_125543.jpg 20151117_125610.jpg

So here are a couple of pictures of my auto feeder set up. Got the idea from some posts here. Works pretty well. I used the acylic top because the wrasse can jump. Been too days of testing and so far so good. The fish don't like the hood being open but they will get use to it. My neighbor is gonna come by every night to feed the cats and some frozen mist for the fish. Crossing fingers that all will go well.

Delareef123

So in my testing i have come to the conclusion that the feeder must drop the flakes in a current stream otherwise the flakes stay on top of the water. I have adjusted the return pipes but man the whole tank does not like change. Not leaving for 3 more days and will keep adjusting. Will advise