DeLaReef's RSM 130

Delareef123

Did a lot of research on this and other forms as to which nano reef system I wanted and decided to pull the trigger on the RSM 130. Picked it up used and in excellent condition (except busted timer). 45 lbs live rock 25 lbs premium sand. Tank is currently cycling. I have ordered the Tunze 9001 with SteveT's media rack as many people have recommended. In addition I picked up the TrueLumen blue led strip with a separate power cord. I wanted to use this as a way to have an auto off/on for moonlights. Also ordered some odds and ends- testers, fish net, media, scrubber.

So my questions is about the pumps. Do you all keep both on all the time or turn one off at night? I intend the tank to be reef so was just curious. Not really interested in turning the second one on/off manually.

Looking forward to the journey!

Delareef123

Okay so it looks like I am starting my Nitrite spike (I hope). Testing today shows the following.
Ph @ 8.0
Ammonia 2.00ppm
Nitrate 20ppm
Nitrite 5.0ppm

So far so good. No blooms yet

Little concerned about the low Ph but not going to worry too much as the tank isn't stable yet.

melvis

Welcome and congrats on the new tank!

You'll be able to get a new timer if you need one, Amazon.com have them in the States, see link below.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00467BUZC/?tag=reefsanc-20

I'm sure you'll have other suppliers over the pond which may be cheaper, but I thought I'd throw this in anyway.

Looking forward to seeing your journey progress. :)

Delareef123

Thanks Martin, really appreciate the effort to look this up.

I actually already ordered the part from InTank. I was already in the process of purchasing the Tunze 9001 with the Media rack from them. This was an upgrade I had planned on. I picked up the tank and stand used for $300 (195 GBP) so not complaining about the $50.00 to replace the timer. The only thing I am not looking forward to is taking apart the hood to connect it. :eek:

Called Red Sea for instructions and got some one on the phone within a few rings PLUS I had the instruction emailed to me in less than 2 minutes. That's incredible customer service. So between this forum, Red Sea Customer Service, and my excellent LFS I think me and my lady will a nice tank up and running soon.

Also, would love to know if anyone has experience with taking the hood apart and can share their experience. The instructions are pretty clear but it is always good to hear from first hand experience.

here is a pic of the tank right after I set it up. Will take more and post tomorrow.20150426_191816.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
fyi - InTank a RS sponsor and the owner @StevieT a member of the RSM club - you can message him here on RS too - great customer service & a nice guy - he started with a RSM 130 & then a RSM 250 so he has hands on experience with RSM tanks too - in fact this was how he developed the famous media rack - all just fyi

Great start ! Rock & scape looking good !

whip

When I first got mine, the first thing I did was take apart the hood for no other reason than to check out the inside. It's pretty easy. Use a small flathead screw driver to pop off the tabs that hide the screws, remove the screws, pop off the sides where the hood fans are and you have complete access. I "think" I remember two screws inside the light housing on the reflector that needed to be removed too... but I can't remember if those were tied into the hood or not.

The only issue I ran into was putting the screws back in as they go into a deep recessed cavity. Since the screws were non-ferrous, I couldn't use a magnatized screw driver to guide them back into their holes. I ended up dropping them like darts into the holes... which was a pain.

PS - Have fun with your new 130! I like watching what other people end up doing to their 130's as I tend to learn a lot.

whip

Oh, and to answer your question about shutting one of your pumps off...

I upgraded mine to the new RSM single pump, so I can't give you "first hand" experience with this, but my thought would be to leave them both on all of the time. One reason would be to maintain a constant water level in the rear sump area. If you are running an ATO and an extra pump kicks on, your rear sump water level is going to drop suddenly causing your ATO to activate. Additionally, you skimmer needs a very constant water level too. Going from one pump to two, then back again will jack around your water levels significantly. Assuming your running the surface skimmer in the main display, your display water level will move and you could run the risk of getting your surface skimmer elevation out of whack too. I suggest leaving them both on all of the time.

miro

I had a problem with the hood since nothing was working and i was a bit scared taking it apart and start poking in it (i have never really done any "electrical" work). Once i got going it wasnt that bad and everything "in it" actually made sense, took some pics to make sure i'd put everything back in correctly :p And same as whip, i was interested to see what was inside :)

melvis

Oh and btw Delareef, love that bit of LR at the front of your tank, brings the scape together nicely! :)

Delareef123

Thanks melvis, funny you say that because i jusr moved it last night. It looked like the tank was given you the finger (which my wife like) i decided to flip it on its side to give the fish more area to swim and give more coral shelf space.

No real change in parameters.
OH @ 8
Ammonia @ 2
Nitrite @ 5
Nitrates @ 0

Day six now so seems i have a ways to go. Water is clear! Here are some new pictures 1430440962199.jpg1430441056746.jpg

melvis

LOL. Does look good flipped on its side too though, will give you some nice space to grow some Zoa's or Ricordea if you go down that path. You've definitely got some nice shelves to house corals too, wish I had some flatter bits in mine.

Delareef123

So just tested the tank again and I am getting the exact same reading that I had over the past 3 days. wondering if I should add a shrimp as my ammonia is not moving (or do I just be patient)

PH @ 8
Ammonia @ 2
Nitrite @ 5
Nitrates @ 0

Pat24601

So just tested the tank again and I am getting the exact same reading that I had over the past 3 days. wondering if I should add a shrimp as my ammonia is not moving (or do I just be patient)

PH @ 8
Ammonia @ 2
Nitrite @ 5
Nitrates @ 0

It could just be the cycle taking time to adapt, but it also strikes me it could be the testing process. Personally, I have a hard time reading colors on these tests.

Do you have a LFS to take your water to that can verify your readings?

Delareef123

So it looks like we have some momentum today. Ammonia is dropping and nitrates increasing! Will also test at LFS today.
day 7

Ammonia .50
Nitrite 5.0
Nitrates 40

Also my tank is warm. Runs between 80 to 88 degrees. It was 90f in SoCal yesterday and my house does not have air conditioning. Should i get a chiller?

Didn't have one on my last tank but it was 75 gal and was as prone to changes in the temperature.

Delareef123

Here is my update. Went to LFS and test parameters where the same. We both estimated another 2 weeks. :(
Good news i was reading the forms and decided to try the fan over the water method and i can tell its working. Water temp went from 86 to 83 in about 30 mins and we had another 90 degree day. Gonna keep the fan blowing for a while to see how low ot goes. As whip stated earlier, it's great to mess around with dialing things in prior to adding live stock. Quick picture of the fan set up.1430614651062.jpg