Deep Water Acros-got em'?-let's see em'

nos2074

IMG_3382a.jpg

so did anyone ever figure out the name of this one I would like to find some later

OHmariner

I was hoping they had lower light requirments too!!

And im going to North Carolina in a few weeks for vacation, I wonder if I could find some wild saltwater corals down there (like the one Frankie found)? More research to come, i figured the water is too cold there....

jellyfisch

so did anyone ever figure out the name of this one I would like to find some later

Dion,

I'm pretty sure it is A. loripes, which is a shallow water species, not a deep water coral. A. granulosa is a more deepwater type, although it grows in shallow lagoons in shade, as well. Real deepwater corals are rarely available, such as A elegans. Most of the deep water froms are grey or grey green in colour, which doesn't excite most people, but they do have a ghostly glow under actinics. One does find pale blues and violets, often with grey together, but they seem to be rarer. I have a few semi-deepwater corals; A. surharsoni, A. caroliniana, A. batunai, A lokani and A. granulosa, as well as A. loripes and find them easy to keep, but need good circulation, as with most acros. They all seem to handle more light, but do get unattractive, IMO, when they bleach. Wish I could send some pictures, but my camera doesn't like aquariums. It's a cheap-o.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Dion,

I'm pretty sure it is A. loripes, which is a shallow water species, not a deep water coral. A. granulosa is a more deepwater type, although it grows in shallow lagoons in shade, as well. Real deepwater corals are rarely available, such as A elegans. Most of the deep water froms are grey or grey green in colour, which doesn't excite most people, but they do have a ghostly glow under actinics. One does find pale blues and violets, often with grey together, but they seem to be rarer. I have a few semi-deepwater corals; A. surharsoni, A. caroliniana, A. batunai, A lokani and A. granulosa, as well as A. loripes and find them easy to keep, but need good circulation, as with most acros. They all seem to handle more light, but do get unattractive, IMO, when they bleach. Wish I could send some pictures, but my camera doesn't like aquariums. It's a cheap-o.

Good ID :thumbup:
Here is some more info on them:
Characters: Colonies have many shapes varying from upright bushes to thick plates. There is a continuous range of shape and size between axial and radial corallites; both may be tubular to nearly spherical, with very thick walls. Tubular axial corallites often have no radial corallites on one side and pocket-like radial corallites on the other. All corallites are smooth and rounded. Colour: Usually pale blue or brown. Axial corallites are usually whitish. Similar species: Acropora rosaria and A. appressa. Acropora caroliniana and A. granulosa have more elongate axial corallites. See also A. maryae. Habitat: Upper reef slopes but occurs in a wide range of environments. Abundance: Common in the central Indo-Pacific.