Dave's RSM 500

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Anthias are wonderful because they are always moving and stay out front a lot. I saw a beautiful Christmas wrasse that I just love, but found out they eat shrimp so I left him at the LFS. My two peppermint shrimp would be his dinner.

David Shaw

That's what i like about them, always in the upper part of the tank and out front. They are good eaters too, love most things especially flakes.

I avoid the shrimps now, as i love some of the fish that aren't shrimp friendly. That Christmass wrasse would feast on your shrimp for sure! It is a beautiful fish though.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Yeah, can't decide, keep the shrimp or trade them and get the wrasse....decisions decisions...

David Shaw

Well new fish settled in well and everything seems to be happy.

I setup an Eheim auto feeder which feeds small amounts 4 times a day and it seems to be working out nicely.

David Shaw

Well its been really hot in the UK this week and my tank temp has gone up to 86 degrees in the daytime and down to 82 overnight, so i have decided to invest in a chiller and installed it today.

It's fitted and working and the temp is slowly falling. Great news that it is really quiet, so non intrusive, although i expect it to mainly kick in during the day when i am at work anyhow. Even so, nice to know its super quiet when it does kick in.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Congrats David what brand & size did you end up with? Look forward to your reviews of it after you get a good feel for it.

David Shaw

I got one recommended by the LFS. It's a Boyu L-200.

Everything seems to be fine. I have set it to 26 degrees and all seems to be working well. The factory setting was 25 degrees but this seemed a little low. The tank should now be consistently around 78 hopefully.

Its uncharacteristically hot in the UK and the tank hit 86 degrees when lights were on, so it seemed like a must have purchase for the hot weather.

The ATO is now topping up at a normal rate as the evaporation level skyrocketed with the heat and was only lasting 3 days.

I installed the auto feeder which is also working well, which feeds a small amount 4 times a day.

Hopefully back now to the tank looking after itself between weekly maintenance.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Good deal! Always nice when you can just sit back and enjoy the tank!

ErnestoC

Congrats on the chiller David!

One question, the feeder.... where did you installed it? can you take some pics?

Have a good one!

David Shaw

Congrats on the chiller David!

One question, the feeder.... where did you installed it? can you take some pics?

Have a good one!

This is the model i bought. It is a clamp on auto feeder. I have it clamped to the main pump chamber glass partition. I have filled it with cyclopeeze and small flakes and the food gets sucked into the main tank via the return pump. I clamped it high on the glass so if there is a power outage the unit still remains out of the water.

The flakes and cyclopeeze are so small that they aren't causing any obstructions when being pumped into the tank.

Charterhouse Aquatics: Interpet Digital Auto Feeder for Aquariums

ErnestoC

Wow! Flakes and pellets will have to submerge to get caught by the main pump.. that wold mean they woul not float when they get to the DT... this doesn't make to much food waste on the tank?

I am really interested on the results as I was thinking of an autofeeder too. :)

David Shaw

Nope, the flakes and cyclopeeze swirl around, as there is a little vortex that the pump creates, and after a few seconds / minutes they all gradually get sucked down and out into the tank. There is sometimes the "odd flake" that gets stuck to the glass is all.

TwiceIrish

Hi everyone, can you believe that my S-500 is now 6 months old! So here, as promised, are some short videos and pics.

This weeks has been a LONG week as I decided to do a bit of re-scaping which ultimately ended up as a complete re-aquascape. I took this as an opportunity to clean all the hardware. I stripped pumps, scrubbed the tank, did a couple of large water changes and cleaned out the sump area etc. After 5 + attempts at the re-scaping, adding some new live rock, along with numerous rock slides en-route, here is the end result.

I was up until gone 3am most nights trying to get everything just how i wanted it :blueoh:. I am finally really pleased with how it has all turned out and think it was worth the wet carpet and even wetter jeans t-shirt and socks. However, i am in absolutely no rush to repeat the process anytime soon! :eek:

Feel free to leave feedback, good, bad or indifferent.

b9899c02.jpg

519d7f6e.jpg

088025f1.jpg

13ae27dd.jpg

1d31307c.jpg

839d3018.jpg

66de4b01.jpg

d786ac8b.jpg

Videos: Click links to view

IMG_0081-1.mp4 video by DavidAShaw - Photobucket

IMG_0082-1.mp4 video by DavidAShaw - Photobucket

IMG_0083-3.mp4 video by DavidAShaw - Photobucket

72e79e84.mp4 video by DavidAShaw - Photobucket

43d1d06b.mp4 video by DavidAShaw - Photobucket

22769888.mp4 video by DavidAShaw - Photobucket

Absolutely lovely. I have been most inspired by your husbandry skills and it certainly shows in this sparkling clean world you've created. Such a joy to watch. Wish you had live cam video service. I'd tune in daily.

David Shaw

Thanks so much Patti, your kind comments are greatly appreciated.

I did a big clean today, all glass sides including the back wall, also replaced the media adding new CPE, SeaGel and Purigen. It looks like the fish are floating not swimming as the water is so clear. Hopefully i have everything tweaked and installed now so i can spend more time looking at it and less time inside it :)

I will be posting new pics soon as i have added a few new fish and corals.

Thanks once again!