Dave's RSM 500

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Beautiful tank David! I love the new rockscape. you mention your water is so clear that the fish look like they are floating.....What are you doing for filtration?

David Shaw

Beautiful tank David! I love the new rockscape. you mention your water is so clear that the fish look like they are floating.....What are you doing for filtration?

Stock black sponges that sit under the tank to sump water down pipe is all. I also run CPE, SeaGel and Purigen in the space allocated for media. Apart from that, no other form of mechanical filtration apart from some occasional white floss over the CPE and SeaGel if the water gets some bits floating around.

Well maybe it is more the funds I guess! I suppose I could squeeze in a slightly bigger tank but a 250 would be the limit before overpowering the room. As soon as I find myself in a place that could house one of these though I will be straight on it.

Such a great job you have done with that tank. Over time once all the rock colours up, it will be a serious display!

David Shaw

Well maybe it is more the funds I guess! I suppose I could squeeze in a slightly bigger tank but a 250 would be the limit before overpowering the room. As soon as I find myself in a place that could house one of these though I will be straight on it.

Such a great job you have done with that tank. Over time once all the rock colours up, it will be a serious display!

Thanks so much. The rocks are very purple, it just doesn't show well on the pics. I will take better ones soon so you can see more.

I am sure glad i bought a chiller last week as it was so hot today. It is currently set to 26 C (78.8 F) degrees but with the stifling heat and all the lights on, the tank is currently running at 27.5 C (81.5 F) . The chiller is working very hard to keep the temp lowered. Luckily it is still within acceptable parameters. Without a chiller i could be in real trouble.

I know it's a substantial investment, but not as much as loosing everything in the tank would be.

I might reduce the setting to 25 C baseline (77 F) so the chiller kicks in sooner and gives it a head start on the cooling process.

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
I totally agree with you on the chiller, it is a great investment when you consider the dollar value of our livestock.

Peter C

Hi Dave well I have been watching the progress on your tank since the beginning I got one a week just after you I had the 250 before it has taken me this long to join the forum not in to this relay but just had to say how much you have helped me setting mine up.

David Shaw

Thanks Peter. Nice to hear that my experiences along the way also helped you along too.

Be really nice to see your tank, and to hear of your experiences.

Peter C

Thanks Dave

I am new to all this I cant work out how to post pics yet. I have a chiller from my max 250 thought I was going to have to use it last week but did not I have cover over the top which I removed which kept the heat down. There is so much going on in this hobbie something new every day.Like you I don't like the Coraline on the back but I am finding it hard to keep of.Any way I will post some pics when I know how to. so much to share.

David Shaw

If you open an account with photobucket.com, you can upload pics to there. Once uploaded you will see a menu under the photo. Click the IMG code and copy it into a post and the pic will appear! So simple, even i can do it.

I bought a chiller last week and i definitely needed it. However, now it is cold again it doesn't kick in. I have it set to 26 degrees. I will keep it plumbed in, just incase we have any warm days over the summer. It's installed now so i figured best to keep it switched on and sitting in standby mode now that i eventually bought one.

I clean all glass sides an absolute minimum of weekly. The best cleaning tools for scraping the sides and back walls are as follows:

Charterhouse Aquatics | Tetra Aquarium Glass Cleaner
Flipper Aquarium Magnetic Glass Cleaner | Cleaning-Maintenance | Marine Aquatic

They make light work of any build up and are great at cutting through the coralline, which i remove with OCD obsession. i also remove the adjustable water outlet nozzles, circulation pumps and the little intake grates in the mid of the tank every few months and dip in the following:

Search results for 'ezeclean' | Aquarium & Pond Supplies

This brings them back to factory condition looking. The only thing you cant clean by dipping, as they are non removable, are the surface skimmer grate and the inlet "surrounds", so i scrub them with an algae pad and use one of those bristly haired pipe cleaning type brushes. I slide the brush in between each slat in the surface skimmer grate, give it a good scrub and it works wonders.

Hope this helps.

David Shaw

Keep on top of it or it will take over then its much harder in the long run. If you do it weekly its only a quick job. Those tools let me get at 99% of it and the algae pad whats left :)

The flipper is my new addition to my cleaning routine and it's fantastic.