Cycling tank

SGTSLuGG

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if I could get opinions on starting the cycle on my tank. Where ever I look at on the internet all say different things. I'm starting my 55 with 60 lbs live sand, and 50 lbs of live rock. I've got a wet dry filter with bioballs. So my question is this - which method would be the best way for my to start my cycle: deli shirmp, fish food, demsels, crabs? What are your opinions on this?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Here how I have always done it with success...

add a deli shirmp, let it rot & start testing

Ammonia will raise then drop, followed by the Nitrites raising and then dropping, then the Nitrate will soar - once the ammonia & nitrites are gone, then do water changes to reduce nitrates.

Ammonia > Nitrite > Nitrate

Tank cycled

here is a general timeline - a lot depend on the state of your LR

kpd64a.gif

DaveK

Nanoreefing4fun has it right. That is the easiest and one of the most dependable ways to cycle a tank.

In addition I would remove the bioballs from the wet dry. You don't need them with the live rock, and they will quickly turn into a nitrate factory. Since it's a new tank, you can take them all out now before you get started.

Friday24

i would recommend the deli shrip as well...i used 2 deli shrimp and dosed Microbacter everyday and got my RSM 130d cycled in about 4 days.....now on my RSM 400 used Microbacter as well, but instead of shrimp i used damsels and i would not recomend doing that to anyone else.....we had to remove almost every piece of LR to get them out, massive PIA!

steved13

PREMIUM
+ 1 good advice above, live fish is condemning them to torture and a shortened life.

the deli shrimp works well.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ditto to above... all solid and more importantly "Current" advice.

Deli Shrimp - drop it and forget it
BioBalls - pull em out and sell them to someone running a Fish Only system

SGTSLuGG

Dave and bigal, what should I put in my sump in the mean time? I have an extra bag of live sand... or I could buy more live rock to put in there? What is suggested? would this turn my sump into a refrigium?

SGTSLuGG

This may be a dumb question, but will the deli shrimp disappear, or will I have to eventually take it out of the tank?

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Some take out the shrimp, some let it completely disintegrate and be consumed by nature. It can get real smelly, though.

Friday24

i took mine out.....tanks in my bedroom and it was gettin smelly....i would also recommend not running a skimmer or any carbon....not to say you can't do it, it will take longer to cycle

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Mush it up a bit...
1183.gif
will speed up the process some... I always let it completely rot, never much smell, but I also run carbon.