custom tank or red sea max?

Lamia2super

Im thinking about upgrading from a biocube 29 hqi to a red sea max 250 or getting one some what custom. what do you guys think about the RSM 250 compared to making one?

the tank is in my bedroom so noisy is my top concern. I should also mention I'm limited to 38x20x55

any advice would be helpful! especially from those who have a RSM 250.

steved13

PREMIUM
Welcome to Reef Sanctuary!!

Obviously it's a personal choice, or both wouldn't be available.

Some things to consider...RedSea is a great "all in one", very few bad things heard about them, I liked the one I had a lot. If I were to buy another "all in one" it would be a RedSea. Is an "all in one" for you? What is your experience level? Are you a tinkerer, or like to set it up and watch? Some people find the build at least as enjoyable as the tank, which are you? You can Mod out an RSM 250, but if you know ahead of time that's what you want to do, you might be better off starting out that way.

Oh yeah, IMO it's hard to beat the looks of the RSM.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Very well said Steve.

For All-In-One Red Sea Max is easily heads and shoulders above the others. They use very good components especially for an AIO system. They have a great track record and their customer service is WOW!

Now if you have the knowledge to "Piece Part" your own system usually you can save some Coins and do it that way but you're taking the risk on things not "Fitting" etc. With the Red Sea Max a LOT of the work has been done for you. They are as close to Plug n Play as you can get.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Great post & advise ... above ^

The RSM 250 is one of the most gorgeous tanks on the market, to me, I love mine :dance: I started with a RSM 130D and had great success with it too, but can tell you the RSM 250 is even better ! You can run them stock, like I do, or add as many mods as you want.

The FTS in this thread really says it all when it comes to can I have a beautiful successful AIO RSM tank
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/37227-full-tank-rsm-photos.html

Lamia2super

Welcome to Reef Sanctuary!!

Obviously it's a personal choice, or both wouldn't be available.

Some things to consider...RedSea is a great "all in one", very few bad things heard about them, I liked the one I had a lot. If I were to buy another "all in one" it would be a RedSea. Is an "all in one" for you? What is your experience level? Are you a tinkerer, or like to set it up and watch? Some people find the build at least as enjoyable as the tank, which are you? You can Mod out an RSM 250, but if you know ahead of time that's what you want to do, you might be better off starting out that way.

my experience level i would say moderate and i like to watch. i am leaning towards the RSM because of its plug and play, but right off the back i can say i would want to change out the protein skimmer because ive heard they arent to go and make a lot of noise. i would also want to either change out the lights to LED(if its easy to do) or add 1 or 2 LEDs strips for night time viewing. ive also thought about the having a sump but i think that it might make to much noise for me.

here are to old pictures of my biocube
0014.jpg

017-1.jpg

reefer gladness

I'll play devil's advocate for a minute. The RSM was a great AIO to start with but as soon as I made the decision to add a sump I started viewing the back chamber of the RSM (or any AIO) to be wasted real estate that I could have as part of my DT.

My experience with the RSM pumps and fans is that they're noisy, something to consider for the bedroom. Don't have the RSM 250 but I've read a number of complaints about the skimmer noise and the Deltec seems to be the only replacement option (unless you add a sump).

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
My stock skimmer in my RSM 250 skims fine & is less noisy than my 130D one due to the built in silencer - in a bedroom I would say most tanks are going to be as noisy as a ceiling fan though...

Pretty biocube - if you had success with it, I am confident you will have success with a RSM

Lamia2super

I'll play devil's advocate for a minute. The RSM was a great AIO to start with but as soon as I made the decision to add a sump I started viewing the back chamber of the RSM (or any AIO) to be wasted real estate that I could have as part of my DT.

My experience with the RSM pumps and fans is that they're noisy, something to consider for the bedroom. Don't have the RSM 250 but I've read a number of complaints about the skimmer noise and the Deltec seems to be the only replacement option (unless you add a sump).

thats where im coming from! i like the RSM 250 a lot and i think its going to be perfect for me, but i think the fans and skimmer might be annoying. i also im not sure about the sump. i would like to have a sump but because i think having the sump is going to be to noisy i dont want it. my current situation i turn off my protien skimmer before going to sleep or whenever im annoyed by it and the fan that was on the light now makes to much noisy so i just leave it off all the time

right off the back like i said im adding LEDs and probably getting that deltec skimmer

pocketreef

Hi,

If before getting it you are already thinking about modding I suggest you design your own tank with the best available infrastructure. Don't pay twice.

There is nothing like designing our own tanks if you manage to find a decent professional to materialize it. It will cost more but it will be more.

Needless to say I spent 2x the basic tank in upgrades and automation and I don't have any sexy newest LED tech neither place for a refugium to export PO4. But no regrets, the tank looks great and fits in my room without being intrusive.

HTH

reefer gladness

The sump shouldn't be noisy, I hear a water trickling but that's about it. Getting the overflow to be silent can be tricky though, once I find a sweet spot I leave everything alone. Adjustable flow on the return pump helps getting the overflow dialed in.

Adding a sump opens up your skimmer possibilities too, the turboflotor is nearly silent and when it's enclosed under the cabinet I can only hear water trickling.

Just to give you an idea of some options, I'm probably going to look at a craigslist tank this evening. It's a 65-70g tank with starphire glass measuring 36Wx18Dx24H. Stand, sump, protein skimmer, return pumps and a new 250w metal halide are all include for under $400. If I like the tank I'll offer the guy $300 and let him keep the metal halides.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Want to point out one huge benefit to a RSM tank (in My Opinion) the RSM Club on RS, you start with a tank exactly like 100's of other members & the support of all the members here that have figured out "lots of stuff" - when I decided on a RSM this was a big plus for me, plus the fact they were so willing to help me and without any flames, no matter what question I asked.

You can for about the same or more build a very nice custom tank with quality components - but there can be & are problems with custom tanks too, there are a group of engineers that designed the RSM and they do work well, if you know what your doing you can build a custom tank that works great too, but I think it's fair to say, you can also build one with problems too, that have to be changed with mods to solve problems too.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Where do you live?

Red Sea makes all the places hold retail on the popular tanks, pretty much, occasional you can find a better than normal deal, I got both of mine from an online sale semi-annual sale that was 15% off everything they carry at That Pet Place, but that was 1 year ago

You can Google a bit, but most sites take the order and ship free, in the US, they call & have them all drop shipped from Red Sea distribution center in Houston & are delivered to your door

Lamia2super

Where do you live?

Red Sea makes all the places hold retail on the popular tanks, pretty much, occasional you can find a better than normal deal, I got both of mine from an online sale semi-annual sale that was 15% off everything they carry at That Pet Place, but that was 1 year ago

You can Google a bit, but most sites take the order and ship free, in the US, they call & have them all drop shipped from Red Sea distribution center in Houston & are delivered to your door

Miami, Florida. ya ill probably google it or ask around to see if someone carry their line, but i thought i should ask in case you guys know something i don't

sneakerhead

Miami, Florida. ya ill probably google it or ask around to see if someone carry their line, but i thought i should ask in case you guys know something i don't
Hey, I live in Fort Lauderdale myself and recently purchased RSM 250. I got mine in December for $1325(taxes inc.) from Allfish Emporium up in Tamarac; its one of the biggest LFS around.
As far as this or custom, this is my opinion after having it for roughly two months. Aesthetically, you cannot go wrong with the looks, I have not seen a tank more appealing than RSM stock. Regarding the all in one aspect, you will be inclined to upgrade certain components sooner or later which will drive up the cost. When I got it, I never thought I would even consider upgrading anything but after having the stock skimmer not work because of water level changes, I was contemplating on replacing it with an aftermarket skimmer or just get an ATO. You probably will have to get a chiller as well, my tank is running at 82 right now even though the house temp is 73-75, I just got a 1/4 Hp myself. Noise seems to be a concern for you so this might not be the best option since its pretty loud especially for a bedroom. Now would I get this if I could do it all again? yes, at the price I got it at, definitely!

Last edited by a moderator:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
That a great deal on the tank ! Their website has a virus though... so I removed the link... if you don't have good virus protection - visit their website at your own risk...

CONTACT US
Store Address:

Allfish Emporium
6820 N. University Drive
Tamarac, Florida 33321

Store Hours:

Monday – Saturday 10:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Sunday 10:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.

Phone:

954-722-FISH (3474)

E-mail:

customercare@allfishemporium.com