custom tank or red sea max?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
No worries. It happens from time to time. Hopefully someone has notified them of this problem.

Lamia2super

+1 thanks for the help. Ah fish empriorum I heard about that place a few days ago and wanted to do a little drive up their to check it out. The rsm 250 is a beautiful tank! I'm scared that if I was to buy one I would eventually want to get a bigger one like the s400, but that is so expensive.

Question why does the new s line have square corners instead of the round glass corners like the bio cube and rsm250?

steved13

PREMIUM
I would guess, it's because of the pressure of the higher water volume. That creates a need for thicker glass, and bending that and keeping the required strength, would create a very high cost.

Lamia2super

Any know of a local fish store that has the s line in stock? Specifically the s400. I would like to check it out in person

black2012

I was in the same situation as you. I am a tinkerer, but went with the RSM 250. For me, it looked cleaner than what I would have gotten for the same price range in a custom tank. The whole package looks very slick all together.

I also have a cat, so a sealed top was a must. Otherwise i *may* have gone rimless.

I got mine a week ago and have already added 2 vortech mp10 powerheads and have the deltec skimmer on the way - picked it up for 300 brand new on ebay.

My vote is red sea - its just so good looking. If you get really bored you can add a sump later very easily.

Lamia2super

I was in the same situation as you. I am a tinkerer, but went with the RSM 250. For me, it looked cleaner than what I would have gotten for the same price range in a custom tank. The whole package looks very slick all together.

I also have a cat, so a sealed top was a must. Otherwise i *may* have gone rimless.

I got mine a week ago and have already added 2 vortech mp10 powerheads and have the deltec skimmer on the way - picked it up for 300 brand new on ebay.

My vote is red sea - its just so good looking. If you get really bored you can add a sump later very easily.

ya i like the way the 250 looks and would fit perfectly in my room! it would look/fit better then the s400 but im hesitating on buying it because i would want to mod it and i kinda feel like i would want to go bigger. mainly because i like having a lot of creatures especially fish in my tank and from what ive read ppl dont keep all that much fish in their 250(5-7 fish). i dont want to do the mistake i did on buying a biocube 15g and then 4 months later get a biocube 30g. i should have just gotten the rsm250 to start with but w/e

black2012

There is always a bigger tank, a faster car, a better _____ than the one you end up getting. You need to decide on what fish you'd like to keep and make the decision that way. From what I've learned on this forum, if you really like tangs - don't get the RSM 250 as they need more longitudinal swimming room than it provides. However, if you are more of a coral guy and are happy with some wrasses, clowns, gobies, etc. then the RSM would fit the bill nicely.

Lamia2super

this is the space im working with or atleast where i would want to put the tank. the 250 will fit cozy in their and the s400 fits but big. the s400 is basically the width of that wall you see their

photo1.jpg

Lamia2super

There is always a bigger tank, a faster car, a better _____ than the one you end up getting. You need to decide on what fish you'd like to keep and make the decision that way. From what I've learned on this forum, if you really like tangs - don't get the RSM 250 as they need more longitudinal swimming room than it provides. However, if you are more of a coral guy and are happy with some wrasses, clowns, gobies, etc. then the RSM would fit the bill nicely.

ya ive thought about that and i am big on tangs, whcih is way i keep leaning towards the s400. i hate being restricted on what fish i can have. the good big things about 250 for me is it would fits nicer in opinion, CHEAPER, and i expect it to be a lot quieter then the 400. the thing i love about the 400 is its size(cant go any bigger), its a complete reef setup(so i can have anything in the tank and expect it to do great), i would figure less water changes, and im not sure if i hate the sump or love it(i love it because i can put more stuff in their to have a healthier system or hate it because it might make to much noise)

black2012

The RSM250 is also a complete reef setup - there is almost nothing that you can't keep from what I've learned on this forum. Water changes will be very similar.

Lamia2super

The RSM250 is also a complete reef setup - there is almost nothing that you can't keep from what I've learned on this forum. Water changes will be very similar.

i edited my post a little bit but ya the 250 really isn't any different from my biocube HQI. i would think water changes would be less since its size and sump(equipment). i would like to change my water once a month instead of every week or so like i do now

N83259

After reading over your thread and what you want, I'm thinking that you are closer to having a DIY system fit your needs, and may be disappointed with the RSM250.

You said you wanted LED lights and are only partially interested in the DIY/tinkerer aspects. This is a big expensive project on the RSM250, and reading this forum, I'm not sure anyone has cracked the code yet on a successful trouble free installation with a true 3W set up that are recommended for reefs. LED in a closed hood is a challenge.

You want the bigger fish like Tangs. Any 65 gallon is too small for fish like that. For the RSM250, review fishes (adult sizes) of 3" - 4" maximum, with maybe a few larger carefully chosen fish. There are lots of great choices in Basslets, Cardinals, Blennies, Gobies etc. Your thread didn't mention the desire for corals. If it's a fish-only tank you want, you can engineer them to be much simpler and less costly. It sounds like you want big active fish and that dictates a large DIY system or one of the new Red Sea set ups.

Did you say you were going to put it where your biocube is now in your pic (nice tank BTW!)? That location looks cramped I think. You want a few feet on each side ideally, and some room to work on the back (6"-8") to plumb chillers, add fluidized reactors if you need them, etc.

Sumps. Personally, I tried to avoid a sump & that made the RSM250 especially attractive, and I've never looked back. If you have your heart set on a sump, other DIY options or an AIO unit w/ sump might be the best option. it can be added to the RSM250 but you need an overflow box and your product choices are somewhat limited in this area.

The RSM250 is easy to set up, own and operate in the long term at a reasonable price & one company to go to if things go wrong. For example the hood design is a a great design IMO, making all chores easy, and that's hard to get in a DIY system since it must appeal to a wide variety of buyers. I'm a motorcyclist. Some friends & associates HAVE to build a custom bike with every detail to their specs. Others are happy with a factory configuration with just an accessory here and there. Different strokes for different folks.

The RSM 250 is a great system. It can accomplish anything any other 65 gallon system in keeping appropriately sized animals. Good luck whichever way you go.

Lamia2super

After reading over your thread and what you want, I'm thinking that you are closer to having a DIY system fit your needs, and may be disappointed with the RSM250.

You said you wanted LED lights and are only partially interested in the DIY/tinkerer aspects. This is a big expensive project on the RSM250, and reading this forum, I'm not sure anyone has cracked the code yet on a successful trouble free installation with a true 3W set up that are recommended for reefs. LED in a closed hood is a challenge.

You want the bigger fish like Tangs. Any 65 gallon is too small for fish like that. For the RSM250, review fishes (adult sizes) of 3" - 4" maximum, with maybe a few larger carefully chosen fish. There are lots of great choices in Basslets, Cardinals, Blennies, Gobies etc. Your thread didn't mention the desire for corals. If it's a fish-only tank you want, you can engineer them to be much simpler and less costly. It sounds like you want big active fish and that dictates a large DIY system or one of the new Red Sea set ups.

Did you say you were going to put it where your biocube is now in your pic (nice tank BTW!)? That location looks cramped I think. You want a few feet on each side ideally, and some room to work on the back (6"-8") to plumb chillers, add fluidized reactors if you need them, etc.

Sumps. Personally, I tried to avoid a sump & that made the RSM250 especially attractive, and I've never looked back. If you have your heart set on a sump, other DIY options or an AIO unit w/ sump might be the best option. it can be added to the RSM250 but you need an overflow box and your product choices are somewhat limited in this area.

The RSM250 is easy to set up, own and operate in the long term at a reasonable price & one company to go to if things go wrong. For example the hood design is a a great design IMO, making all chores easy, and that's hard to get in a DIY system since it must appeal to a wide variety of buyers. I'm a motorcyclist. Some friends & associates HAVE to build a custom bike with every detail to their specs. Others are happy with a factory configuration with just an accessory here and there. Different strokes for different folks.

The RSM 250 is a great system. It can accomplish anything any other 65 gallon system in keeping appropriately sized animals. Good luck whichever way you go.

Thank you for your input! And i havent really seen the rsm250 in person but i kinda feel like I won't be completely satisfied with it because to me it seems like the same thing as my biocube. The s400 from what I've read seems like a much better reef setup

Yes the space you see where my biocube is where I would want to place the new tank. It's rather tight but both tanks will fit but the rsm250 would be the better fit. As for plumbing it's tru I won't really have any access to the rear of the tank. S400 will probably be a inch or 2 from the wall.

I will be having corals of all types, but I usually take my time when adding corals.

I dont now from experiece but im guessing the sump setup is quite so More and more the sump seems ideal since I can install w/e I want down their. Been looking into those nitrite filters so I wouldn't have to change the water as often. If i was to get the s400 I would like to go a month without having to the water.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I'm a motorcyclist. Some friends & associates HAVE to build a custom bike with every detail to their specs. Others are happy with a factory configuration with just an accessory here and there. Different strokes for different folks

How did you know I ride a stock black & chrome Honda VTX 1800 - with only a Mustang seat added?
025.gif
Love my stock Honda, it is 100% problem free, I do stop to help the Harley riders that break down with their custom bikes though ! Nice analogy

2002%20honda%20vtx%20vtxc-799131.jpg

Lamia2super

^i have a custom Harley lol well actually it's my brother but I ride all the time since I sold my Harley and ninja awhile back

N83259

Nice looking bike Glenn! I've got a HD and a Suzuki, so I have an appreciation for ease of easy ownership too! My friends who go custom often seem to spend more time fiddlin than ridin....pretty frustrating on a nice spring afternoon!

Ride safe! - Pat