CUC in sump?

AC273

Title says it all. Built my first sump/fuge thingy.... (I say thingy because I had to get creative with the size contraints of my stand.) The middle chamber has about a 1" sand bed with flame algae. My question is, Does this area need a CUC? It seems to collect quite a bit of stuff and grow a lot of algae. Would a couple detris eating snails help the system or should the area just be pods and other micro organism?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've always thought it a good idea to have a robust CUC in the sump/fuge. Especially if you see that's where a lot of the nasties (detritus etc) ends up collecting.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Thanks for asking, I need to follow this thread also. I had planned on placing snails in my (soon to be, in January) sump/refugium when needed and back in the DT when not. Seems like that would benefit the system as a whole.
Good topic...so, what's in your sump/fuge areas y'all??

kyle4201

I have 3 or 4 blue leg and 2 snails in mine, a bunch of feather duster looking worms,, Also the fern looking stuff, the grape looking stuff and cheeto. 3" mineral mud base, small pump to keep things moving under the overhang.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I have 1 zebra turbo snail, 5 hermits, 3-4 hitchhiker xanthid crabs, a couple of whelks in my fuge. Also tons of pods and micro brittle stars.

Paragon

I've always thought it a good idea to have a robust CUC in the sump/fuge. Especially if you see that's where a lot of the nasties (detritus etc) ends up collecting.

Al, does the size of your crew essentially regulate itself with the amount of available food. My concern would be if I put too many in, they will die off. That will in turn create more Phosp/Nit. Thoughts?

Para

frisbee

If you can clearly see the detritus, couldn't you just siphon it out? Solving a poop/detritus problem with something else that poops is not really the way to go IMO. Manual labor can be your best friend sometimes...

AC273

Thanks for the info/feedback all. Looks like I am not the only one benefiting from this thread. :)

jerry26

i just put a new fuge online less than two months ago and i without a doubt am going to need a powerful cuc just for it. i have one snail to maintain my dt and he gets the job done but that fuge is too much for one snail.