CUC compatabilities...planning ahead

rgslady

I have ordered my CUC consisting of 10 turbo snails, 15 dwarf hermits, 5 scarlet reef hermits and one court jester goby. This is a pack designed for a 30 gal tank, and although mine is twice that, it didn't make sense to me to go any larger at this point in time. There is sufficient algae for them, with additional foods when they have done their jobs.

My question is, when I start to plan for corals and such, will these CUCs be a problem for the new additions? I'd like to get a single anemone and a couple of clowns, and some starter corals, which of course will be small. Will my future new additions survive the snails and hermits? Not worried about the fish, just the anemone and corals...

Thanks for any advice..

:snshne:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Should not be any problems... other than the hermits will eat your snails.

on a sidenote - anemones often don't do well in a tank unless is mature - 6 months old or older...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Sounds like a good CUC. As Glenn said the hermits might go after the snails, but hopefully the turbos will be too big for them. It's usually bottom dwelling snails that the hermits go after, and the turbos will probably be mostly on the rock and glass. Glenn has a Court Jester Goby (aka Rainford's Goby) and it's a very nice fish choice - good algae eaters too!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Keep in mind that many goby will become a "food source" for an anemone. You'd think they would know better than to "perch" on an anemone but for some reason (forgetfulness etc) all to often they are a GONER.

Very good call to go "Light" on the CUC. As your bio-load increases you can easily add to it :thumber:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
<has no hermits ;)

Yet

:LOL:

I always incorporate some degree of hermits (micro blue legs ) into my CUC. I find in a healthy and well fed system they tend to live a long time in some amount of co-habitation with snails. :)

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I'm not sure, but I don't think the Court jester (Rainford's) gobies are the type that perch, so it may be safe from anemones. Glenn would know as he recently got one.

rgslady

Thanks for all the info...the crew is in and doing well. Never see the goby...he just hides a lot. The turbos are incredible, and the hermits, as tiny as they are, can climb mountains!! Even got an abalone...he's just cool to watch!

redsea reefer

I've had Rainfords Goby for a while now and I don't consider it a part of the CUC because they are not and they do not perch at all.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hi Eddie - thanks for confirming that they are a perching goby. I didn't even know you had one.

redsea reefer

Hi Eddie - thanks for confirming that they are a perching goby. I didn't even know you had one.

Hi Terry and you're welcome!

Yup, Had him for a few months now I believe, posted pics of him in my thread. Here he/she is...

DSC00308.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
+1 - I've had Rainfords Goby for a while now and I don't consider it a part of the CUC because they are not and they do not perch at all.

:)