Crabs Are Evil Society

fsu1dolfan

Hey all....surprised not to hear much mention of the Sally....it seems to be my favorite crab in the tank. Of course the others are just hermits and dont bother much else. She is good fun to watch and has grown to a good size. Not really an evil crab but she has her mood swings if a fish gets to close LOL.
iPhonePictures124.jpg

djbacon

I always causally laughed at this thread cuz my 2 scarlett (allegedly peaceful) hermits are great substrate cleaners and fun to watch. Although I do suspect one ate one of my original trochus snails too.

In the midst of my battle trying to save my poor yuma - a whole other story...

I found my scarlets gangbanging my fire shrimp !! He had been alive not ten minutes ago! I thnink he and a crab got tangled then the other joined in. There was a nassarius snail in the mix when I found the orgy of death as well.

When it rains it pours.

CRABS ARE EVIL :flaming: bastards killed my fire shrimp

Frankie

RS STAFF
Bummer. They put out the fire. Crabs are like a rabid dog. There going to turn on you eventually.

djbacon

yeah, after reading this thread i fear for my firefish who likes to hide where the crabs dwell at night. EVIL - stating to agree with Prow, im always finiding one of scarlets up in my hammer coral too....IT AINT A REST HOME !! Murderers..and I thought scarletts were not supposed to be agressive :-(

burning2nd

your scarlett's must posess the force greatly

they must have used force speed to catch him, and then stuck him down with a lightsaber

sambrinar

Hmmm I was just about to get some hermit crabs for my hair algae and sm amt of slime, as well as some turbo snails and certh snails.

I have one emerald crab, but I dont want to supply the hermits with huntable food in a small tank. will just the snails do the trick??

lcstorc

I have great luck with a variety of snails. Different snails are good for different things. Also Sea Hares are great for HA but you have to keep them fed once the algae is gone or find them another home. Often reef clubs pass one from person to person.

sambrinar

Yeah I thought about the sea hares, but not in an area where I can pimp them out, and no LFS around 150 miles away. So I didn't want to kill it. I thought they would only eat hair algae.

lcstorc

Some people have success getting them to eat nori but I probably wouldn't risk it.
We have a couple of good sponsors that specilize in clean up crews. Check them out to find out about what snails etc are available. They will ship as well so you don't have to drive so far. I avoid crabs since I have had problems even with scarlets. They are now in my fuge where they can't hurt anybody.

urville

SO you cant own any crabs? Cause I hate hermits! but I have a sally and an arrow and they've never hurt anyone, actually on a second arrow... well we call them steves, were on our second steve because he got old and bg and oe day got very slow and then just froze... sad day... grumpy ol' guy. :cry1:

lcstorc

I never said you can't have crabs. I simply said I don't. I have never had an arrow crab but all crabs are opportunistic feeders and will eat whatever they can get. I prefer to avoid it.

urville

No I know, lol, I've been having a slew of misunderstandings from my posts since I came here. I didnt mean anything by it, I just hate Hermits with every ounce of my lifebeing but didnt want to seem like a traitor if I offered a story and asked for membership I meant in the tone of the thread, honestly. :ashamed:

Id like to apply. I hate crabs... always pinching... One of em killed my bros banded cat shark. The mantis shrimp understand that crabs are evil. Started to post some links to some vids of mantis shrimp taking down some crabs, then decided it might be a bit graphic....

lcstorc

The ironic thing about me not having crabs in my tanks is that the kids bringing home hermit crabs from the beach is what caused the set-up of my first tank.
Witfull has told me that is further proof that crabs are evil since the hobby they started has emptied my bank account. :)

I wasn't picking on you Urville. Honest. I thought I was coming off as hating crabs when really they are just doing what comes naturally so I choose not to have them.