Crabs Are Evil Society

Mike Johnson

This is a shed of a Black Mithrax Crab. It is a "reef safe" algae eating crab. You can't buy one retail anywhere. If you're lucky you might get one with imported Indonesian live rock. Because they are so well behaved they are in high demand. They are always nibbling algae, but are very shy.

StirCrayzy

I had (possibly still have) one. Started pulling tissue of my GSP off the rock to get underneath.
That's the only damage it's ever done in the 5 years or so since I first found him in the tank.
Currently MIA , I'm thinking I may have blocked him into his hiding spot during the last tank upgrade.
Here's his favorite chillin spot.

Tarantulady

Just gave my boyfriend the "gift" of a gigantic gorilla crab for his refugium. I'd been keeping it in its own tank since it was a baby and it's biiiig with black pointed claws. He pinched my boyfriend right through his gloves and gave him a bruise. But here's the cool part: HE EATS AIPTASIA. Woo! We gave him the refugium in the sump because we were hoping he would eat some rogue peppermints that ignore aiptasia and feast on corals. Not sure if he did for the peppermints but after eating some krill, he walked over to a lone aiptasia, plucked it right off the chaeto and ate the entire thing. That being said, I'm still 100% certain he would eat a wrasse or something if we put him in the reef proper.

Tarantulady

Mike Johnson my boyfriend found a few of those black crabs in his tank and he gave me my own. We didn't know what they were called at first so we named them "Satanic Enemy" crabs. They only clean algae, just like you said. Even if a small fish goes near one of these lil red-eyed crabs all they do is run away or hold very still. Mine had his krill stolen by my skunk cleaner and he just turned around and walked away sadly. Great crabs!