Crabs Are Evil Society

vdituri

I gave you karma.

1. for the Godzilla reference and
2. for have a Dalek as an avatar.
Both classics.

JT101

i dont think snails from NY are reef style snails? where the snails alive that the hermits where eating?

Absolutely! The nassarius would be cruising along at "turbo" speed like they love to do, looking for detritus and algae, and then it would bump into a hermit which would then try to flip it over and pick away at its soft underbelly. A couple of times I saw this happen and the snail would actually try to escape by rapidly burrowing into the sandbed but sometimes it wasn't fast enough :bouncebox and then other hermies would scoot along and
"join in on the fun".

These local nassarius are fine in the tank, they go everywhere (on the sandbed, the glass, even on the live rock).

Kazzy

My evil blue hermits steal food from my corals, annoy my leather, killed my brain coral, don't eat my algae, and managed to kill a snail population twice the size of theirs', even though I provided extra shells. Is that bad enough for a badge?

prow

they are omnivores, they eat everything including algae. and they are not scavengers they are evil little snail trophy hunters.

reefmaster42024

I have a Sally Lightfoot that somehow made it's way from the display down into the sump. Only something evil would possess such magical powers.

Johnos

Hmm, I've got hermits. As for the Emerald Crab, that's evil... oh look at me, I'm eating algae... oh fish fish fish fish fish *Chomp* you didn't see nothing... I'm just eating bloody algae... it's tasty... like fish... mmmm algae...

burning2nd

i dont know... im still thinking hermits are more like
"Oh you not looking so good good, let me help you"

while some other crabs are like
"Seek, locate, exterminate feed feed feed"

vdituri

Alright you guys and gals, lighten up in here.
It's getting all dark and goth like in here.

Crabs are neither good nor evil. They are just hungry. lol:contract:

Witfull

i helped thin the herd last night,,,Red Lobster, had evil king crab, wicked lobster, some thieving shrimp, some innocent bystander scallops (collateral damage :) ) and sorry Vic, clam strips,,,oh daddy was it good!!

Wolfgang8810

i AM JOINING THE CRABS ARE EVIL SOCIETY TODAY. i GOT THIS NICE TINY CLUMP OF ZOANTHIDS AND PUIT THEM WHERE I WANTED THEM AND SWARM EVERYONE WAS THERE IN 1 MINUTE. THEY ENDED UP GETTING KNOCKED DOWN. ALSO JSUT THIS MORNING I SAW ONE OF MY EMERALD CRABS GO AND JUST GRAB A HOLD OF MY MUSHROOM CORAL AND START YANKING AT IT. IM GETTING RID OF MY CRABS ASAP!

vdituri

What kind of crabs swarmed?
Mine scarlet hermits usually do that along with any other algae eaters.
I had one rock come in with a big clump of algae on it and the next morning it was picked clean.

Emeralds are hit or miss.
Are they all getting enough regular algae to eat or maybe they are starting to go for the algae in the mushrooms instead?

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Everybody wants to cook the "crabs" but nobody says anything about shrimp which are also carnivores, at least mine are and steal the food when I'm feeding my corals and some even eat corals :doh: