Courtney's Red Sea Reefer 350

Lipman

I don't have one on my ATO, but I think it may be a good idea.. ( I like to play it safe ALWAYS) ;p

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
It's an upstream algae scrubber (UAS) and it basic idea behind it is that it has the perfect environment inside it to grow algae, lots of air flow and light. What this leads to is if you have algae problems or want a fail-safe of kinds then the idea is that instead of unsightly algae growing in your tank it grows in the scrubber and uses all the nutrients in the water that the algae would otherwise need to grow. So that it grow in the scrubber and not in the tank :) great idea if you have some algae problems!

Courtney

Hey all been a while again I know but lots of new things to tell you about like my new fish and corals that I have gotten but first I need a bit of help with something. I have just bought a ghl profilux mitras stimu stick 55 which is a full led weather simulation light now it says that it is ip67 waterproof but its made of aluminium so I was going to mount it inside the first flap of the hood but now that I have received it I'm not so sure if that will be safe as the only video on the net that I could find was it mounted on a hanging light rack over an open top tank. So if you know of anybody that has one or any mounting suggestions would be appreciated as I really want to fit it otherwise it is a waste of money.

JEMM55

If the gate is too high then the water trickles over the gate and makes noise.
Just lower the gate until it stops. More water ...equals no trickle sound.

Mine runs dead quiet

Courtney

Hey all has been a long time since I posted in my thread but need a bit of advice as my clowns from what I can tell have laid eggs in between my 5 bubble tip anemone as that started off as 1 and split into 5 and all parts are doing well so they have lots of cover. So I don't really know what to do to give them the best chance when they hatch so any suggestions would be appreciated thanks :)

15dc64003f5b36833c05ac068d2f4a28.jpg

Courtney

Hi thank you for the reply I used my Ogle Mesoscope and my iphone to get the picture. I have read through some of the bits of the links you posted but most say you have to have different tanks to put them in and I unfortunately don't have the space to have loads of different tanks setup up. So I might have to see what happens with them in the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Courtney

Well just checked and looks like all of the eggs hatched sometime last night so they have most likely been eaten by the other fish.

Courtney

I'm back on here after a long time haha so where to begin well my tank got a bit out of hand due to work and other parts of life getting in the way but over the last week or so I have completely redesigned the tank. So I have 40lb of Carib sea live rock shapes and gotten rid of the old and dying rock that was in there so I have a brand new aquascape allowing more flow around the whole of the tank and more gaps in the rock so it is more open.

I have added two Tunze 6055 power heads which are connected to a Tunze 7095 multi controller. I have also added six new ATI 39w bulbs to the tank I have two blue plus, one purple plus, one aquablue special, one coral plus and one actinic bulb.

I did a test today with the API master and Reef test kits with the results below.

P.H. 7.8
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm
Phosphate 0ppm
Ammonia 0ppm
Calcium 600ppm
Carbonate Hardnes 125.3 ppm
Or 7dkh

I have 4 fish. Two clowns, one pyjama cardinal and one bicolour blenny.
As for corals I have one hammer head, four bubble tip anemones one candy cane and mushrooms and one brown button polyp all split into may pieces haha

Find below some pictures of the tank now [emoji4]

0386775ef59c8ca432ae1f6f5a7f2151.jpg

bdacf35a49939014d33d973c7c6f3fe5.jpg

1e462173b95d4f09580eef0186448a10.jpg

585b628c685c8f0a7719fa5bea05c4c5.jpg

abb3da83fca4bfd4dcb1b79798c5308a.jpg

357656ec81a0211cadd3a4fdf673fb24.jpg

be89b90665e0734cb6e5db86419647f0.jpg

ce62bdb10f1ebb65af5f1eb363b94803.jpg

Courtney

New fish and corals added to the tank so now I have 12 fish.

So new to the tank are a
Yellow eye tang
4 chromis
Sulphur gobie
Coral green gobie
Orange strip gobie

6 red leg hermit crabs
2 dancing shrimp
3 turbo snails

Green table coral
Pulsing Xenia
Lavender Tipped Torch Euphyllia
Eastern Sunrise Zoanthid
Bali Tri Coloured Rainbow Montipora
Jedi Mind Trick Montipora

Here are some pictures below
[emoji16]

86a9a6adb290411b97578b86c4e38141.jpg

d2a40a22cd813a006963e2e8e73d4a32.jpg

4dd8f402557349dca1cbba4413ffb6c8.jpg

499cd4714edfb0a4cc96a9b414e738e2.jpg

6878bf2b3094d8dab5409b104cd372c0.jpg

f264b11851a5b0e11c4c366d5d232a63.jpg

Courtney

Thanks a lot not the best haha had trouble getting really clear pictures.

I'm having a problem at the moment where the water seems cloudy with loads of particles in it . I don't think it is the sand moving with the pumps and I think I have protein skimmer set up ok so don't think it is micro bubbles.

I have got carbon and seachem purigen running at the moment to try and clear the water of particles but not sure what's up.

I'm at a loss at the moment so don't know if anyone has any ideas as it would be appreciated [emoji4]

Pat24601

Beautiful fish - could be an bacteria bloom & should clear or if it's the dust from sand, it will clear in a few days... see what others think

I’d probably just give it a few days and see if it’s still around. If it is, then we can work harder to identify the problem and sort it out.

Carbon and purigen seem like a reasonable response for now.

A good size water change also never hurts.

Last edited:

Courtney

I was racking my brain trying to work out what was up with the water and did read something on a bloom of some kind but wasn't sure what to do really.

Well at the moment my vertex puratek rodi unit is out of action as when I was trying to change the filters I managed to brake a quick fit connector on the main rodi membrane housing so I'm having to try find a replacement part or fix it myself so I'm having to go to my lfs to get water haha.

I have 25ltrs of water which I'm mixing up tomorrow with my new D&D H2Ocean Pro+ salt when it arrives but you guys think that is enough for a 250ltr tank?

Last edited:

Pat24601

A 10% water change is probably considered fairly normal. However, I actually do big water changes routinely. So, it’s less than I’d do if I thought I might have a water quality problem. Personally, I’d probably do about 30% or so, which means most people would probably do 20%. I dunno.

I actually think my frequent and large changes were pretty much the whole secret to my 3 year smooth run on my first tank. Well, that and buying quality livestock from good fish stores.

Courtney

Well did a 10% water change this morning and the tank appears to be a bit clearer but still a little grainy looking.

I have also moved all my new corals to where I think they would like but have to keep an eye on them haha.

Hopefully get my new coral foods tomorrow and my Brightwell Aquatics Code A&B and Magnesion as I want to start dosing to help keep the levels right for all the corals.

fa67de50de6b968241b5043a4f9da00b.jpg