Courtney's Red Sea Reefer 350

Courtney

Looks like the white spot has spread to my coral green goby and my yellow eye tang and firefish although there not as bad so I will start dosing the
polyp Lab Medic but do a water change as well and start adding the vitamins and garlic to there food to help.

I was looking at the UV-C unit you guys said and there all so big haha and don't have that much space to fit it under the tank or outside so I was looking at the getting the
D-D Professional Complete 10w UV Unit

https://charterhouse-aquatics.com/s...n/d-d-2/d-d-professional-complete-10w-uv-unit

This couldn't come at a worse time as I have a delivery of new corals turning up tomorrow morning haha just my luck.

Last edited:

Courtney

Thanks Glenn, Nobby for the info.

Yeah was looking at UV-C units a lot last night and in the end decided to get the D-D one although it is only 10w it said it is the same as an old 20w unit and it will treat tanks up to 500ltrs which is fine for my 350 and it is turning up tomorrow.

So will keep you all updated with how everything goes but I'm going to start dosing Medic today and just do my best to keep everything good and stress free for the fish.

Courtney

Well I've finally got my Red Sea tank top installed and it is so much better than the fly net and pegs haha

79b2e0414898ac51518d3cb91a9c2561.jpg

954e9590cc1819665124902005526c43.jpg

Did some tests for Nitrate and phosphate as I have only been dosing NoPox for 3 days and my test kits are coming back at 0ppm for both so should I stop dosing it or just cut my dose in half?

Still waiting on my corals and food and medicine deliveries to arrive so god k ow what state the coral will be in once it arrives as there has been a major delay but hopefully there in good health.

SPR

Well I've finally got my Red Sea tank top installed and it is so much better than the fly net and pegs haha

79b2e0414898ac51518d3cb91a9c2561.jpg

954e9590cc1819665124902005526c43.jpg

Did some tests for Nitrate and phosphate as I have only been dosing NoPox for 3 days and my test kits are coming back at 0ppm for both so should I stop dosing it or just cut my dose in half?

Still waiting on my corals and food and medicine deliveries to arrive so god k ow what state the coral will be in once it arrives as there has been a major delay but hopefully there in good health.

Very nice tank pictures!

The Red Sea net looks good. Mine is being delivered tomorrow at some point.

On the NoPox, yes I would just cut the dosage down. You may find that until your fish stocks build up to produce nutrients, you may hardly need to use much at all. I would start feeding more though as you don’t really want zero nitrates, and the fish will love you and this may also help with their other issues you have.

Also bare in mind that if you are around zero Nitrate, the water is very sterile so you will need to start feeding the corals with something like Red Sea Reef Energy or whatever your going to use as they need some food etc.

The NoPox is a balancing act which you will get used to with experience. If you get any white slime, or cloudy water just reduce the dose slightly as this is bacterial flocks. If you get it in the sump ontop of the water, try to agitate the water on top and that will stop it. I have the return hose on my Rhowaphos reactor pointing up to cause ripples in the surface in the sump.

I still get it sometimes but either mix it into the water or scrape it off the top.

Courtney

Thanks for the info on the NoPox I'll cut my does down from 7ml and start feeding a bit more like you said which my fish will like and help them hopefully.

Well my medicine and food and more importantly my corals didn't turn up due to the delays so I don't expect them to be alive when there delivered tomorrow which is a shame. The place I got them from said some of the soft corals might have survived but the lps and sps ones won't have and will most likely be skeletons. Won't be able to have replacements until after Christmas so just have to see what happens really.

Wanted to ask a question on the UV-C placement in the Reefer sump and where is best to have the in and out puts of the UV-C unit?

Courtney

Well got my food, medicine,
UV-C unit and pump and more importantly what was left of my corals after 20 hours without heat. so might be able to save 5/6 out of the 7 but will have to see but will be getting replacements next week so no pictures of the corals just yet but have some pictures of my UV-C unit and pump.

D-D Professional Complete 10W UV Unit nice and compact haha
42be3e92b139226ce95902c75ca61430.jpg

Hard to believe that this tiny pump does 600ltrs an hour but running it at just under full power so around 500ltrs an hour which is the maximum flow for the UV-C unit.
082653c40617911325b821df61fd5f68.jpg

Installed it on top of my controller stand. I have put the pump connected to it in the overflow return chamber of the sump so water directly from the tank and the return from the UV-C unit flowing directly into the second chamber where the skimmer is so hope that is a good place to have the pump and return.
5b83ab8e5572b5240e05b19ae5bfb1c7.jpg

Also I haven't seen as many white spots on my fish but this might be because they have dropped off to start the next stage of life so I will start a 10/20 day course of the
polyp lab medic tomorrow to help stop anymore of them appearing and whilst that is happening I will start adding the vitamins to my fish food to give them a boost and help there immune systems.

SPR

Well got my food, medicine,
UV-C unit and pump and more importantly what was left of my corals after 20 hours without heat. so might be able to save 5/6 out of the 7 but will have to see but will be getting replacements next week so no pictures of the corals just yet but have some pictures of my UV-C unit and pump.

D-D Professional Complete 10W UV Unit nice and compact haha
42be3e92b139226ce95902c75ca61430.jpg

Hard to believe that this tiny pump does 600ltrs an hour but running it at just under full power so around 500ltrs an hour which is the maximum flow for the UV-C unit.
082653c40617911325b821df61fd5f68.jpg

Installed it on top of my controller stand. I have put the pump connected to it in the overflow return chamber of the sump so water directly from the tank and the return from the UV-C unit flowing directly into the second chamber where the skimmer is so hope that is a good place to have the pump and return.
5b83ab8e5572b5240e05b19ae5bfb1c7.jpg

Also I haven't seen as many white spots on my fish but this might be because they have dropped off to start the next stage of life so I will start a 10/20 day course of the
polyp lab medic tomorrow to help stop anymore of them appearing and whilst that is happening I will start adding the vitamins to my fish food to give them a boost and help there immune systems.
Below is a link from DD which may help you out. It basically says with the 10W unit, you will need to run the water through it at a slower rate, so on your 600 lph pump, probably 1/3 power to get the required killing power.

Just remember once it’s set it will be running and killing constantly for you and also help with water clarity.

The Eheim pumps are very nice little pumps and silent.

https://www.theaquariumsolution.com/uv-kill-whitespot

Last edited:

Courtney

Thanks for the help with the UV I adjust that to a slower flow.

Also today I'm doing to dose the polyp lab medic and run a course of that as well to be on the safe side as like I said I haven't noticed as many spots on my fish but that might be because they dropped off to move to the next stage.

Reactions: SPR

Nobbygas

I'm pretty jumpy when it comes to spots on the fish, especially after my disaster, but I've noticed this.......sometimes, I look at one of the fish, and I see what can only be described as either spots, or a 'dusty' look on their skin. I then go into a minor meltdown. Ten minutes later, everything looks fine.....and this is why.....sometimes, my Orange Spotted Goby is having a bit of a sand flinging contest with himself, and if some fish (for example the Coral Beauty) swims through the little sand storm, he emerges with a dusty sand covering. As the Coral Beauty is a dark skinned fish, it shows up more. After a few minutes swimming around, the dusty covering is gone, but it nearly gives me a heart attack every time I see it !

SPR

I'm pretty jumpy when it comes to spots on the fish, especially after my disaster, but I've noticed this.......sometimes, I look at one of the fish, and I see what can only be described as either spots, or a 'dusty' look on their skin. I then go into a minor meltdown. Ten minutes later, everything looks fine.....and this is why.....sometimes, my Orange Spotted Goby is having a bit of a sand flinging contest with himself, and if some fish (for example the Coral Beauty) swims through the little sand storm, he emerges with a dusty sand covering. As the Coral Beauty is a dark skinned fish, it shows up more. After a few minutes swimming around, the dusty covering is gone, but it nearly gives me a heart attack every time I see it !

Your not alone!

Since you two have been having issues I was convinced my Regal Tang has some white spots on it. So much so I ordered PolyLab Medic about 2 days ago. But I was looking again, very carefully, during the day and last night and there is nothing wrong with him!

He is a big old boy now, and I think the marks are either sand particles stuck to him, or more likely from scratches on the live rock were he tries to reverse his bulk onto his sleeping position at night.

However its just making me jumpy!

Courtney

Yeah I know what you mean as my goby like to carpet bomb everything in sand haha but I notice the spots at night under the blue led's as they show up really well although they have gone I think it is still in there so dosing the medicine won't hurt just to be safe.

Nobbygas

I've got some PolyLab Medic and a liter of Ruby Reef Rally in my storeroom. They are both hard to get over here, and a delay of four of five days could be crucial if I ever need them, so I have them as an insurance policy. If they reach their use by date, then I'll just replace them, and I'd be really happy to do that !

I meant to ask before, but do any of you use a magnifying glass to look at things? I do.

Pat24601

I've got some PolyLab Medic and a liter of Ruby Reef Rally in my storeroom. They are both hard to get over here, and a delay of four of five days could be crucial if I ever need them, so I have them as an insurance policy. If they reach their use by date, then I'll just replace them, and I'd be really happy to do that !

I meant to ask before, but do any of you use a magnifying glass to look at things? I do.

Oh yeah. You can see some cool stuff with a magnifying glass.

Courtney

I got it from there official site which was ogles.info but it is down so don't know what has happened to them as I have had it for years. It is really cool though as you can connect a cmos USB camera to it and take photos but I usually just put my iphone up to it haha but you get results like this.

4dce6ea698818adef7743969bcd97ab4.jpg

91044d8997c3d823822c901000f5ecc1.jpg