Controler Questions

tnwillia

Hey Steve, I do very little scrolling. If you go RKL/or E or the Apex there are other options if you expand. With my net unit and/or using the "BETA MyReef 2.0", I do everything setting at my computer. I only use the control head for things if I'm standing at my tank. I'm expanding a little at a time but as was said earlier, once you have a controller you'll never give it up. Good luck & Have fun with it!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
You're welcome Eddie! Just one more thing to buy - it never ends LOL!

Tom - if I could justify a computer dedicated to the tank I'd love the setup you have!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I do everything setting at my computer. I only use the control head for things if I'm standing at my tank. I'm expanding a little at a time but as was said earlier, once you have a controller you'll never give it up. Good luck & Have fun with it!

That's how I am. I only touch the "Base Unit" if I'm standing at the tank. It's SWEET to be sitting on the couch and "Control" the tank. I might just "Control" something right now (wave, surge, return pump, lightning, lights etc) just because I can LOL!

tnwillia

Hey Terry, When they "finish" My Reef 2.0. If you feel safe in upgrading firmware all you need is a copper path (bus cable, I make my own) from an open bus port on your SL2 or PC4 to your SID by your computer then a normal USB cable into your computer from the SID. The catch is you need to upgrade everything to the 2.X series firmware "still being developed" to use My Reef 2.0. You would also have to upgrade your SID to 2.X. DA was/is doing that for free but you had to send it to them or buy the new one. I only turn it on when I need it. My Reef 2.0 basically gives you a much better "computer version" of your control head functions at your computer. It doesn't need to run full time & you can run it off the computer you use every day.

My Net module runs full time but it's really a seperate system from the My Reef 2.0 side of the house. With it, yes my computer should be up full time to get the alert/alarm notifications it sends out but I don't leave it up like that unless we have weather threats. It's not a big deal to set up if you want to run My Reef 2.0. Have fun!

tnwillia

Hey Steve, If your talking about the Net module yes there are people on the DA forum running the path wireless.

On My Reef 2.0 I don't think so cause your dealing with a serial comm path (6 pin copper). I might be wrong but have never seen anyone on DA talking about doing it wireless.

As I said before the Net module program and My Reef 2.0 are very different animals. Good luck!

steved13

PREMIUM
Thanks Tom, If/when I upgrade to the elite, maybe I'l go net. My computer is on the other side of the room from my tank so it would have to be wirless.