Controler Questions

Reddog170

I have been looking to get a reef controller. My wife found a Reef Keeper Elite system for sale. I know very little about the RK systems. Is this a good system? Is it worth the $110 sale price? (comes with head unit, PX4, and temp probe) How complicated is it to run? I know every system has its bugs, I am just looking for one that wont take a rocket scientist to program and is reliable enough to trust my tank with, Shaun

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Shaun - is that a new or used RKE? That $110 is a great price either way. I have the Reef Keeper Lite with temp. probe, 2 PC4, and an SL module and pH probe. I really like mine. It runs 4 sets of lights, cooling fans, and turns on and off my heater (to prevent a cooked tank). The RKE is more expandable than my Lite. Even if you only use it to control a heater they're worth it. They aren't that difficult to program, and if you need help Digital Aquatics has great customer service as well as a nice online forum that helps with questions.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
The programming can be a bit confusing at first, but the forum posts helped me a lot. Are you sure it's the Elite, and not the Lite? The Lite basic usually sells for $99.95 online, and the Elite basic for $249.99 (plus shipping).

Lite:

Digital Aquatics

Elite:

Digital Aquatics

I started out to get the RKL Basic just as a heater controller, after seeing too many cooked tanks from heaters that stuck on, then looked at all of the stuff I had on timers and went to the RKL Plus to get more than 4 controllable outlets.

The "head unit, PX4, and temp probe" sounds like the Lite, but $110 at an LFS is still a good price.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I think the Reef Keeper Elite is a very good system for your basic functions and it's expandable to my understanding.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
The Lite is expandable also, but to a limited extent. My Lite Plus - head unit with temp. probe, 2x4 outlet PC4 strips, and one SL module & pH probe, is I think as far as I can expand. The Elite can be expanded greatly. All for a price of course!

tnwillia

(comes with head unit, PX4, and temp probe)

Temp needs SL1 or 2 to work, not listed here. Maybe why such a good price.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Tom - he said it's new. You can run a temp. probe (the DA iTemp Temperature Probe) without an SL module. The RK Basic has a temp. probe and no SL module. My pH probe did however require an SL module.

tnwillia

I don't know of any port on the RKE head or PC4 it can be plugged into. Here are the first 2 packages new. Basic doesn't come with temp, second does but also has SL1. Maybe it's an RKL, price is to good to be true for a new RKE Basic.

Package Contents
<LI type=square>ReefKeeper Elite Basic ($249.99)
1 x RKE Head Unit
1 x PC4 - Power Controller 4
1 x SID - System Interface Device
1 x 6' USB Cable
1 x 6' Bus Cable
4 x Mounting Screws

<LI type=square>ReefKeeper Elite Plus ($399.99)
1 x RKE Head Unit
2 x PC4 - Power Controller 4
1 x SL1 - System Lab 1
1 x DA pH Probe (w/calibration packets)
1 x DA Temperature Probe
1 x 6' USB Cable
1 x 6' Bus Cable
2 x 3' Bus Cable
2 x 1' Bus Cable
8 x Mounting Screws

tnwillia

Here is the RKL basic package. Is this what your talking abiout?

<LI type=square>ReefKeeper Lite Basic ($99.99)
1 x RKL Head Unit
1 x PC4 - Power Controller 4
1 x DA iTemp Temperature Probe
1 x 6' USB Cable
2 x 1' Bus Cable
4 x Mounting Screws

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Yes - I meant the RK Lite package. I have a feeling that for $110 new it has to be the Lite and not the Elite.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Tom - on the RK Lite basic package the iTemp probe would plug into the one PC4 that comes with the RK Basic package.

Since I have 2xPC4 my SL module takes that plug on the PC4, so in my case it plugs into my SL module, along with the pH probe. If I had no SL module the iTemp probe would have plugged into my second PC4. The iTemp probe uses a telephone type connector. I hope that all makes sense.

redsea reefer

I figured i'll just ask here since its a controller thread...:)

What would I need in addition to the RK lite to control the temp(heater) and light cycle?

steved13

PREMIUM
That's not a great price for the Lite it retails for $99. I like mine, I think it will expand farther than I will need, I mainly got it because I thought for $100 I could try out a controller and expand from there or not depending on how I used it.

steved13

PREMIUM
You won't need anything..other than a heater/chiller. The lite comes with a temp probe and you just plug in the lights, heater, and chiller...set the parameters, and it does the rest.