• Closed loop

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Koralia

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • other

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters

joephys

I am trying to decide if I want I want on a 29 gallon I am setting up.

I like the idea of using a closed loop with a scwd, but also like the idea of just using a koralia (or maxijet mod) due to the lower acquisition and operating costs.

Opinions?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
this early in the game I wouldn't let the initial cost be the deciding factor. I'm a huge fan of Power Heads but I've not attempted a Closed Loop system yet. The Closed Loop has some big pluses but the complexity and "finality" of it don't entice me to try it. It's so easy to move your power heads around to re-diect (Tweak) flow. With closed loop you could be limited.

I'm for Power Heads. I have a 2x Nano Koralia and 1x #1 in my 10g tank.

:)

Jeremy0322

Im with Al, I like the idea of powerheads better. I ALSO LOVE Hydro Koralia powerheads, so that is my vote!

DaveK

Closed loops are fine, but they will not provide you with as much flow as the Koralias will. Plus, the Koralias are a lot easier to maintain.

While Koralias are fine especially in a smaller tank, IMHO they don't hold a candle to Tunze Streams, so I voted other. Of course the Streams are about 10 times the price by the time you get a controller. They are also far more than you need for a 29.

BTW, a SCWD has a terrible reputation for reliability. They are noted for failing, and they are not easily repaired or cleaned. Avoid them.

faust

i voted closed loop. i like to fact that your not adding heat to the tank. imo easier to heat a tank. than to cool it

Reddog170

I vote Korolias, I use them in both tanks and with the exception of one that keep want to run backwards I have no problems. I also like the fact that you can move them around and get the "perfect" flow. Shaun

Whacked

i'm in the same boat with a 40B i'm planning.
I finally decided on the koralia's over the CL.

I dunno, reaching behind the tank to shut valves, wrestle with unions and try to wriggle the pump out for maintenance seems to be a lot more work and more hassle.
Altho a CL has a clean, neat, clutter free display it seems thats the only benefit I can think of.

I just set up a 25 gallon and used one koralias 1 on one side and one DIY modded MJ 600 on the other side. I put the MJ on a JBJ wave timer that cycles on and off every min. I didnt put the hydor on the wave timer because the impeller has a horrible shudder when turned on. The diy modded MJ is nice because it has 2 different directions of flow depending which way the impeller spins, so with it on the timer I get a ton of different flow directions from just 2 phs. (you just have to position the MJ carefully so you dont get any sandstorms or water coming over the top of the tank)

I love the Hydor because it runs absolutely silent, I just wish the Hydor wave timmer was more affordable. Im sure you will be satisfied with them

The MJ definetly makes a little noise but is tolerable. I dunno why the maxijet doesnt come in black and cobalt blue to blend in with the background.

Last edited:

cioutlaw

Powerheads are ugly. I have 2 streams now hidden in Tunze rocks. Next big tank will be closed loop. Although I dont know if I would go to the trouble in a 29gallon being the powerheads wont be that big.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I voted other not knowing the size of the tank. When I do my next tank it will be drilled with the Oceans Motion hooked up. I have a closed loop now on my 120 that gives me 3000 gallons ph alone. Then I have the Koralia 4's in the frag tank. I hate the size of the power heads and the way they build up junk from the water. I need to clean them once a week at least. I will say though that the flow is incredible from them.
On a 29 gallon though I would either drill it or go Tunze. Much smaller then the koralia.

tigerarmy90

closed loop! I have mine setup with a dart and 4 way and I get so much flow that it was pushing water over the top of the tank...I also am a big fan of not seeing any pumps or wires in or hanging from the tank.