Clam ID?

Jetbkk

Since I upgraded to MH lighting on Friday, I decided to buy 2 clams this weekend.

Do you know what kind of clams these are? Like usual, the shop didn't know the English name for them here!

Oh and the strange thing is that the one on the left was green in the shop but now purple and matching the other.. very strange!

Attachments

• clams.jpg
    clams.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 132

TylerHaworth

The one on the right is a Tridacna Crocea... Im not sure what the one on the left is, doesn't really look like a Maxima, Crocea, or Squamosa to me... maybe a T. Gigas?

Jetbkk

Thanks guys, appreciate the comments! I did read about clams depleting calcium, so I'll have to start testing for that (I haven't been so far).

I still don't know what kind of clam the one on the left is...and still confused how it went from green in the shop to purple at home (whereas the other stayed the same)

Jetbkk

Hey Uslanja.. sorry for the late reply. I was in Myanmar for a few days and not near my clam(s) :)

A little update: the one clam that we couldn't identify died about 3 days after I bought it, so I think it had an issue before it got in my tank. The other one seems to be doing very well so far. I will try to take some more photos this week and post them up!

Jetbkk

Well the one on the left is now an ex-Crocea as it died 3 days after I got it. I think something was wrong with it which is why it didn't look quite right compared to the other one.

Uslanja

Hi Jetbkk! Sorry to learn of your Crocea! It is sad when we loose one of our charges. How is the remaining one looking? Have you noticed any changes in your calcium levels?

Jetbkk

I think the other had a problem before I got it. It never looked the same as the other one, which is still going strong and seems very stable. If anything I think my calcium levels are too high, so I hope that doesn't cause other problems..

I'll take a photo this weekend and post it up..

Jetbkk

Here is a photo of the clam from today... I think it is doing pretty well..

Attachments

• clam_lo.jpg
    clam_lo.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 40