Claire's Secondhand RSM 250

clairebear

Thanks Dom, I hope so :)

Here is a better pic:

e139d9ab-9d32-4fbe-9da2-bbbc674fde7c.jpg

The hole with the arrow is like a tube that another one comes out of.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Does it look more like feathers or tentacles up close in person?? If it's feather then nothing to worry about as it'll just be a little worm with an unusual home :) lol but if they look tentacles it looks a little majano/aptasia in appearance which isn't good but let me know what you think of it and fingers crossed for feathers as it's a little hard to tell in the pic :fingerx:

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Really hard to tell, the one with the circle around it looks more like a feather duster than a Manjano, but again it is difficult to tell.

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Looks more like a feather duster as manjano's tentacles are usually not banded.

clairebear

I think it looks more like a feather duster, I have had a couple of aiptasia in the tank and it's not quite like that, it is so tiny it's hard to say for sure though. I have some aiptasia X handy so I will definitely keep a close watch.

Is it weird that it's a feather duster? (or 2) Will it eventually take over the coral? It's pretty interesting though.

Thanks for all of the replies :) much appreciated

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Not all that unusual for the to take to corals, have you seen how coco worms inhabit a porite? :) I'd be pretty happy with some cling-ons like that :)

For example:
p-78153-fanworm.jpg

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Really cool indeed! The only problem is most people will take care of the coral thinking that that will keep the worms happy but you have to do both or one will die, your's are only little so they'll be fine :)

clairebear

Just a quick update... I'm very happy with the tank at the moment. Lots of ideas swirling around but I spent my allowance on a holiday this fortnight so I can't afford anything haha! Trying to stop dipping into the savings now.

433B4391-orig.jpg

Have added another torch (green tip), and elegance and an acan about 2 weeks ago. All seem to be doing well. I have also started target feeding about half a cube of cyclopeeze once a week, and the coral seem to react very well to this.

One question for now - someone at an LFS told me that feeding only frozen food might not give the fish all the vitamins they need. Is that true? Should I feed some pellets sometimes or add something like selcon (I can't find it in Brisbane, but there are other similar products) to their food?

Thanks everyone!

Tokalosh

One question for now - someone at an LFS told me that feeding only frozen food might not give the fish all the vitamins they need. Is that true? Should I feed some pellets sometimes or add something like selcon (I can't find it in Brisbane, but there are other similar products) to their food?

Your tank is looking fantastic, job well done.

I have only ever fed my tank a variety of frozen food with no ill effects to the fish. I did once try flake food, but the fish only looked at it before it disappeared over the weir.

My fish are healthy and full of color.

Tok

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Tanks looking great Claire - here is a great read... I feed a variety of frozen 95% of the time

Same here, I feed Cyclopeeze, brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, Rod's, and Oyster feast. A little bit of everything to make everyone happy!

clairebear

Thanks for the links Glenn, I had to wait for the weekend to read them. Definitely gave me a few things to think about like splitting my once a day feed into two...

Goma - I am slowly building up a collection of foods and taking over the freezer, we don't have Rod's here but there is a fish store which sells home made food. Might get some oyster feast soon...

clairebear

Oh and I nearly forgot - my bangai cardinal died last week :( for a few days beforehand, he was looking kind of pink, started doing odd things like trying to sit on the toadstool coral and then swam upside down for a little while and died. Can't find any explanation online for this, except some people talking about their cardinals hovering in the corners of the tank and then dying - mine always did that so I'm not sure if that was a sign of illness or not. Anyway, I'm closely monitoring the rest of the fish, but nothing out of the ordinary so far. Fingers crossed...

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
sorry to hear you lost your bangai :( , sometime we never really know why we lose a fish, some are just not as hardy as others

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Sorry to hear that Claire :( Good to hear that no one else is looking unsightly though!

How's all the food and feeding going? :)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Sorry to hear you lost a Cardinal Claire :( Hope everything else in your tank is still doing good.
Are you thinking about getting another cardinal?

clairebear

Hmm for some reason I can't comment through the website, only from Tapatalk

Sorry to hear that Claire :( Good to hear that no one else is looking unsightly though!

How's all the food and feeding going? :)
I haven't actually changed anything yet... I'm a bit worried the fish won't eat when the lights are off. Once I'm done with night shift I will give multiple feedings a a go :) and I'll have to go to the fish shops to get some more food! Yay!