Claire's Secondhand RSM 250

clairebear

LOL sorry didn't even look to see where you were from! I am sure you could find a dealer there!

Oh no I meant for all the other stuff on that site that i can't get here! And all sooo much cheaper! But it has good info on the bulbs so very useful for me :)

My good LFS (an hour and ten away! haha) has ATI's. There's probably a closer good one, I just haven't discovered it yet.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Got it, and yes there is plenty of information on their site about the bulbs on their site.

clairebear

So, for the last little while I have been concerned with WATER!

Anyway, so I had a bucket of "RO/DI" water from my LFS. When my TDS meter arrived I tested it. Well, guess what, it was 125 ppm, higher than my tap water. How interesting. So of course I decided I couldn't use that anymore. So then I cleaned out the RO filter that I got second-hand with the tank, flushed it and then tested the water: 3ppm. Not too bad I thought, but after doing some research I tested the phosphate level in that water and it was 0.08 just like the water in the tank. So I bought a proper RO/DI filter from an Aussie website PSI filters. I have made about 75L in a few hours and it is 0ppm.

Sorry, I can't figure out how to make the image smaller...
1366966517.jpg

So now I just need to get enough time to do a water change in the next couple of days :) finally. It's been nearly 3 weeks since I did one. Hopefully another step on the road to being green hair algae free! And another lesson about fish stores lol.

Thanks everyone for advice that made me think a bit harder about my water situation too! :thumbup:

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Someone else just recently reported a similar situation with their LFS. Glad you figured it out, you will be so much happier making your own water. It makes life easier and keeps you out of the LFS!!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Congrats on the new ro/di unit Claire - your tank will love it !
1085.gif

oh... aslo we love BIG pics :dance: we can see all the details

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Great improvements Claire, just got caught up on your thread. Your 250 sounds like it's in good hands, new water & new lights.
One thing that you might look into is if your tank is getting direct sunlight from an outside source (window or door) and try to block that (if it is) to help with GHA reduction. I just added a TDS meter, also...making our own water is a PLUS for sure :) Saving money & time...I drink it too instead of buying bottled water now.
I'm on board to watch your tank sparkle & shine with healthy life so KEEP THE POSTS COMING & YES, We love BIG pictures :D

clairebear

OK update! Today I got my mp10 set up, added an elbow joint to the left hand pump so the flow is across the back, connected the chiller pump to the right hand pump so it actually has flow coming out of it now. The flow is very much improved, I think.

I also glued my inTank media rack back together (box was completely mashed when I got it, thanks for that AustraliaPost) luckily it was a clean break, and put it in.... only to find a bag of ??bio balls or something at the bottom of the chamber that I had no idea was still there. It was pretty scummy, will removing it affect the tank in any way?

I also added a HOG UAS that I bought from Reefbytes a couple of weeks ago (I got excited by all the other people I saw getting them, and trying to get rid of this GHA), which is starting to get some algae growing in it :)

My largest toadstool hasn't been extending for the last couple of days (before all these changes) and I am not sure why. Hopefully a water change tomorrow will make it happier?
And a couple of new things...
06C1B872-orig.jpg

86068972-orig.jpg

Great improvements Claire, just got caught up on your thread. Your 250 sounds like it's in good hands, new water & new lights.
One thing that you might look into is if your tank is getting direct sunlight from an outside source (window or door) and try to block that (if it is) to help with GHA reduction. I just added a TDS meter, also...making our own water is a PLUS for sure :) Saving money & time...I drink it too instead of buying bottled water now.
I'm on board to watch your tank sparkle & shine with healthy life so KEEP THE POSTS COMING & YES, We love BIG pictures :D

Thanks Diana! It is under a little window, not sure if the light might be contributing to the algae.

As always, any suggestions appreciated :bouncer:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hi Claire - congrats on the improved flow, sounds like you have really added some nice additions ! Beautiful hammer coral & mushrooms :dance:

Most never put in the bio balls - getting them out will not hurt a thing, in fact it will greatly help & reduce your nitrates :)

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Water changes will only help with your algae issues. Make sure your toadstool is not getting too much flow as that may be keeping him from extending.

If the sunlight is directly penetrating the tank that may be helping fuel you algae problems.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
BEAUTIFUL hammer & red mushrooms Claire! :snshne:
I think you are going to love the way your tank responds to the MP10. :D
I've thought about getting a 2nd MO10 but if I can utilize the left hand return flow, that would be even better, I think. Could you post a picture of your modification? Did you glue something on or what? What size fitting? I'm looking for something to work.
Keep the updates coming....I enjoy them! :girlthumb:

clairebear

Hi Claire - congrats on the improved flow, sounds like you have really added some nice additions ! Beautiful hammer coral & mushrooms :dance:

Most never put in the bio balls - getting them out will not hurt a thing, in fact it will greatly help & reduce your nitrates :)

That's good news. I'm glad I found them sooner rather than later. They were just so dirty, I'm always afraid of stirring up nasty stuff, but everything seems fine.

And I think this hobby is pretty perfect for me, I LOVE to buy stuff! And luckily I can work overtime to pay for it all :spinner:

And everything I've done is stuff I have seen on this forum, so many great ideas and generous people here sharing their knowledge, I'm so glad I found it.

BEAUTIFUL hammer & red mushrooms Claire! :snshne:
I think you are going to love the way your tank responds to the MP10. :D
I've thought about getting a 2nd MO10 but if I can utilize the left hand return flow, that would be even better, I think. Could you post a picture of your modification? Did you glue something on or what? What size fitting? I'm looking for something to work.
Keep the updates coming....I enjoy them! :girlthumb:

It's a bit ugly at the moment, but I will post pics soon. I am on night shift this week so I have to find a time when I can steal the BF's phone from him, it takes better pictures! We didn't end up gluing anything yet, just got some parts from Bunnings which is a big hardware warehouse chain we have here in Aus, and everything fit together quite nicely! Some were screw in parts, the elbow and the "fan" end are just PVC though, the fan we made by heating a bit of pipe and moulding it. The BF used to do irrigation and ponds and that kind of thing luckily because I don't think I could do it on my own.

I love the idea of a second MP10, but I keep telling myself only if I get into SPS, which I am not planning on at this point.

clairebear

I was very excited to be able to buy some chaeto, which arrived in the mail yesterday. Here is my set up, I even found a submersible LED in Australia.

39E32BEB-orig.jpg

And I currently have 1xPurigen and 1 x clear FX Pro in there too, from before I got the media rack,

Here is a FTS:

122AF7E1-orig.jpg

E5C67EBA-orig.jpg

Is that more clear Diana?

So with the flow it goes around the back and around the corner, then the RHS pump kind of gets it around the front of the glass, and the mp10 blows back into it. I'm not sure if this is ideal yet, still playing around. I initially had the mp10 more in the middle but the fish were getting blown around a bit. Definitely getting more movement than before though.

I am getting some ?diatoms on the sand. Would this be because this is new sand?
ECE841C2-orig.jpg

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
If you put in new sand, then yes that would be the reason why. It'll go away soon enough.

clairebear

How's the ATS doing?

I think it is going well! I've had it for maybe 2 or 3 weeks (have to check my tank diary) And it starting to grow little clumps of hair algae in it :dance:

I don't know how it will go with the chaeto in there too? but I got that more hoping to encourage pods. Because I really want a mandarin one day and I really don't want it to starve.

Time will tell!

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Thanks for the update, keep us posted on how things are progressing!

Tokalosh

Well done Claire, you will be well happy with the left nozzle mod.

My only comment is that you should adjust it to about 45' down so that it does not interfere with your weir flow.
As for the fish been blown around by your MP10, don't stress as nature does this on a much larger scale.

Good looking tank, looking forward to seeing this mature with time.

Tok

clairebear

Well done Claire, you will be well happy with the left nozzle mod.

My only comment is that you should adjust it to about 45' down so that it does not interfere with your weir flow.
As for the fish been blown around by your MP10, don't stress as nature does this on a much larger scale.

Good looking tank, looking forward to seeing this mature with time.

Tok

I think I first saw this mod on your thread, so thank you for that, and the advice! :snshne:

clairebear

I got this candy cane on the weekend, but I noticed it has things sticking out of it! Does this look like bad worms to anyone? Kind of like tiny feather dusters - is that possible? Might need to get a closer picture in the morning...

05517565-orig.jpg

My toadstool recovered - I just wish I knew what was wrong. It seemed to coincide with the appearance and disappearance of the diatoms?
CD9A29F8-orig.jpg

And I have a new friend... a flame hawk. Of course after I get him home I read about the shrimp eating stuff :hammerhead:
7235bf52-dd03-4823-baee-1891ad3eb6b6.jpg

Thanks for your help

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Tank is looking wonderful!! :) Not sure about the worm though, it looks like a little feather duster which are a good thing :) but get a closer pic and I'm sure a better ID will be made

If you keep your new little buddy well fed I'm sure you won't have any problem with him and shrimps :) keep an eye out though!