Salinity 1.022 (refractometer)
pH 8.0
Alk 3.3 meq/L / 9.2dKH
Calcium 350
Mag 1120
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0
Phosphate 0.04 (I'm not sure if I am reading this one right)

So I want to try and bump up the Mg to start with. Otherwise looking OK.

Also. last night we found that the pump on the right hand side is not working at all, so will have to replace that.
And, last thing, The RO/DI filter that came with the tank.... the instructions say if it has not been used for more than 6 weeks you need to flush in with Aqua Medic Disinfectant Liquid. Is anyone familiar with this or know what I should be flushing it with? Bleach? Also, no TDS meter so I think I will have to get one of those before I use water from this thing. Hopefully the LFS will sell me some RO water.

I am sitting on the floor in front of the tank, and even though the lights are off all the fish are swimming about. I think they are adjusting :)

clairebear

23119a08-180b-4061-871a-6d3701da4391.jpg

Did a little rearranging... found one aiptasia, but the LFS store said don't do anything yet, just monitor. Good advice?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
found one aiptasia, but the LFS store said don't do anything yet, just monitor. Good advice?

If it's aiptasis - Like most lfs advise... bad advise - whack it now !

[video=youtube;oo3DZYdAD2Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo3DZYdAD2Y[/video]

clairebear

Thanks for the advice Wrangy and Glenn! They did have it, I was so surprised because I asked for it and usually they are very, very eager to sell me everything! Even things i am pretty sure I don't need. I will go back tomorrow luckily it is just down the road.

magicmann

Hi Claire

Welcome to the forum and I am sorry to read about your flame angel. Your tank will be brimming with colour in no time.

Paul

DaddyTLi

.... Any suggestions on how to deal with that dirty back wall? I'm thinking algae eating fish and scraping little bits at a time?
Those are Coralline algae - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, you can scrape them off slowly but they are harden through age. Everyone seems to think is a good thing for the tank to have them. I scrape them off the glass as it appears, as for the back. I leave them alone. You can try, but they will just come back. I think I read that certain sea urchins may eat coralline.

Tom

clairebear

I would like a cleaner back of tank purely because I like how it looks, but also there's some green stuff on there and I want it gone :) some of the fish and crabs and even the shrimp go and munch on it sometimes.

So I have already seen a fish that I want (the dangers of having a fish store in your facebook feed!)
Does somebody want to tell me that I should sort out my water parameters and change my bulbs and buy an mp10 before adding to the tank. OR should I go for it?
Here is the little dude:
525173_10151535837906077_625288658_n.jpg

This isn't from my local shop, this is a GOOD shop :)

clairebear

A coral sea fairy wrasse, which I think is also known as a Rosy Fin fairy wrasse. Seems like a perfect fish for my tank too :)

clairebear

So I thought I would do an update....
One of the anemones didn't make it. This was actually the one that I thought was healthier. It wedged itself upside-down between some rocks and then it kind of turned inside out. I pronounced it dead and removed it. The other one is still not good either. It hasn't eaten anything I have tried to feed it. I have been reading up on them, but I still find it hard to say what the original problem was, since I never saw what it was like to start with. Anyway, needless to say if I lose this one my tank will be anemone free for quite a while. Here's a pic.
ffe4b245-a6c5-4e13-a94f-1bfd8dd2496a.jpg

GHA still looking uglyyyy. I added some Purigen and ClearFX Pro last week. I think the algae is looking less attached to the rock. Maybe wishful thinking though! I am planning on replacing all the bulbs this weekend, some are nearly 2 years old I think, and I am hoping this might help with both problems! Next on the list is the inTank media rack.
This photo is using the flash when the moonlights were on. Not pretty! Once I get the tank where I want it, I'll have to save for a nice camera :D
3FF0A841.jpg

ANY advice is very, very, very appreciated.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
bulbs this weekend, some are nearly 2 years

This should really help, when they get the old the light spectrum changes & could very well be related to algae growth.

and your nem could use the new light, I am sure :dance: here hoping he makes it !

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
The new bulbs and inTank media rack should help you on your way to getting things sorted. Make sure you are using zero TDS water for you water changes and do them consistently. Keep this up for a while and you will be amazed at how it will look. Remember good things happen very slowly in a reef tank.

clairebear

Thank you for the encouragement. It is very appreciated. I feel like there's a lot to take care of all at once! I'm planning on getting ATI's, any tips on which bulbs?
I don't want it too blue at the moment I think it has 3 stock and 3 Blue plus... I'm thinking a purple plus, aquablues, coral plus and actinics?? And should I cut down the light period so that the corals adjust, or will they be fine?

Remember good things happen very slowly in a reef tank.
It seems like I've had this tank forever.... it's only been 11 days or something. Thanks for reminding me, I feel like I need to fix everything all at once!

Hey there Claire,

I am using the following in my 250:

Korallen Zucht Lights (3-Super Blue, 2-New Generation {14000k}, 1-Fuji Purple)

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I am running:

3 each 39W Blue Plus T5 HO Fluorescent
2 each 39W Aquablue Special T5 HO Fluorescent
1 each 39W Purple Plus T5 HO Fluorescent

Not blue at all and was recommended by reefgeeks as one of their best combinations for coral growth.
Reefgeek - Home page

clairebear

Thanks for those examples Greg and Chris, lucky I asked hey!
And thanks for that link, I am scared to check if they ship to Australia hehe.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Thanks for those examples Greg and Chris, lucky I asked hey!
And thanks for that link, I am scared to check if they ship to Australia hehe.

LOL sorry didn't even look to see where you were from! I am sure you could find a dealer there!