Choff's Modified RSM650 Reef Chronicle

Choff

NOOOO! :eek:verhere: Don't put maidens hair macro in your fuge! Don't do it. It can escape into your DT and go crazy! Seriously, it is hard to get rid of in a system. It took me a good two years to rid my tank of it: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/general-reef-aquarium-discussion/78622-maiden-hair-algae.html

I want a frag of the Ora Micronesian ants insignis acro when it get bigger :smirk:

My original thought was ooo a pod haven! Then I got the rock and put it in the fuge and said to myself....what makes that any different than hair algae??? That would be hell if spread to my dt! Then your post. I might have to pull it. Tangs don't eat it?

When did you say you were coming up our way? I'm about 40 min from Bryan. If I can get it to grow by then you can certainly have a frag.

Choff

Did some reading,,,,I pulled the rock. Thx oxy, you probably saved me a huge headache down the road!

Oxylebius

I don't have any tangs, so I don't know if they would eat it. I always felt my tanks weren't big enough for tangs :smirk:

The foxface did pick at it, but definitely didn't devour it. Nothing else touches it. That plant has herbivore deterrent properties in it. These toxins deter inverts and fish from eating it. It tastes bad to them. I went through every known invert that I could get (w/in reason), three different species of turbos (even the mexican ones), urchin, many snails, four species of hermit crabs, emerald crab, sally lightfoot crab and several blennies & gobies, oh geez I can't even remember all the critters. NOTHING ate it.

It is a very pretty plant/algae. Moves and sways in the current. Pods do love it! But once it is well established it starts to loose a string here and there. These strings find other locations and attach. This is why it can spread. The spreading isn't very fast. I would not have it in any tank again.

Sea turtles apparently like to eat it :snrkl:

http://marineplantbook.com/marinebookturtleweed.htm
http://eol.org/pages/911750/details

My travel up the coast your way will be in the spring, after the snow storms :snow:. No set dates yet as my brother is being transferred from the west coast to NH (military) and once he settles in then I will make some plans on dates and head that way. I have family all over Mass, so will be stopping by several locations on the way up or down. So, hopefully we can find a time that works for exchange. Think it will grow that fast, to be able to make frags?

Choff

Thanks, I'm really glad you said something.

Time will tell if she is a grower. Only had it a day and the colors are not close to the pict yet.m

Choff

4 of 6 leopard wrasse are out of the sand and eating. Most importantly they are getting along with the resident blue star who previously killed off her sisters she was bought with.

...stupid auto correct

Choff

I had to take a picture of the meleagris to send to LA to prove they are not negronsis. I couldn't get a decent shot. They just emailed me back and said the pics were to blurry, try again.

Really? I think petco employees already infiltrated the company

Can you tell if this fish is jet black or spotted?

...stupid auto correct

Biggles

Yeah that pic of your yellow tang is kinda blurry........... seriously, they can't tell that it's not all black lol.

Your reef is looking really nice and the rock scape looks very cool :)

Choff

So they email me today to try to tell me that is a juvenile negrosensis (black) and that it will darken as it ages. I'm like come on that is a spitting image of a regular (meleagris) leopard. So I call back and after a few transfers the guy is like, uh yes that's a regular leopard. Black's are black from birth and he apologized profusely for the error and for the misdiagnosis .

At least they got it right in the end. :)

...stupid auto correct

Oxylebius

So, you got a fish you didn't intend to get. And now what? Are you keeping the fish? Are they sending you the negrosensis? Are you getting a refund? Did you plan to have this extra wrasse in your tank? Is it okay now that you have it? I know lots of questions :yup:

DaddyTLi

so they email me today to try to tell me that is a juvenile negrosensis (black) and that it will darken as it ages. I'm like come on that is a spitting image of a regular (meleagris) leopard. So i call back and after a few transfers the guy is like, uh yes that's a regular leopard. Black's are black from birth and he apologized profusely for the error and for the misdiagnosis .

At least they got it right in the end. :)

...stupid auto correct

so, you got a fish you didn't intend to get. And now what? Are you keeping the fish? Are they sending you the negrosensis? Are you getting a refund? Did you plan to have this extra wrasse in your tank? Is it okay now that you have it? I know lots of questions :yup:
lol

Choff

So, you got a fish you didn't intend to get. And now what? Are you keeping the fish? Are they sending you the negrosensis? Are you getting a refund? Did you plan to have this extra wrasse in your tank? Is it okay now that you have it? I know lots of questions :yup:

Yes, I got fish I didn't intend to get, I am keeping them and they refunded me all my money. I still plan on getting negrosensis, but now I will get less of them. I'm waiting to see how many of the bipartis make it. If all 4 make it that will give me 5 bipartis and 2 meleagris. I'll get 2 negrosensis. For every BS that doesn't make it, I'll get another negrosensis. I'll have 9 wrasse and someday my 10th will be a choati.

Choff

Shut down the reeflo hammerhead today. Man that thing is loud. In fairness its creating a lot of resonance vibration because of the shelf that's makes all the noise. Regardless, it can be heard in the room above . Swapped over to a wave line dc12000 and its whisper quiet.

Between the reeflo, 2 mp40s and 2 rear powerheads being replaced by the riptide and dc pump my tank has gotten a lot quieter and my electric usage has gone way down.

Next up, another dc pump to replace my utility pump and another riptide and I'll shut down the last 2 rear pumps.

Choff

But if you shut down the rear pumps, how will you solve the water issue on the rear sump.

Daniel

I'll toss a small powerhead back there. I also bought 4 spare inlet covers that I can use in place of the power head nozzles.

Happy thanksgiving!