Caulerpa gone sexual

CarmenH

I put a clump of LR with caulerpa on it in my quarantine tank that has a new mandarin and a 6 line wrasse in it. Overnight, I guess due to lighting changes, it went sexual and I woke up to pea soup in the tank! I did a 50% water change this morning and put purigen in the HOB filter.
Is this harmful at all to the fish? it's significantly clearer now but still not perfect. Should I do another WC or does it matter?
Both fish appear 100% normal and healthy...

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I would keep up the water changes & add some fresh carbon.
I have read the below...

If it's gone sexual the "plants" themselves tend to die, dumping lots of nutrients in the water, which can in turn cause a micro algae bloom.

CarmenH

When I got home, the 6 line was in bad shape :-( I don't know if it was the nitrates (40ish) or whether the flow in the ac 20 wasn't strong enough to circulate and oxygenate well through the purigen (the water surface was "dull" looking) or even if perhaps he was already ill and this just just made him worse, or ??? :-(
I pulled them out, did a 100% water change with water from my reef, rinsed the sponge, then acclimated them quickly and put them back. I still need to add some carbon but I was going at warp speed. I also added an airstone, just in case it helps. I don't think he's gonna make it but I gotta try.
The mandarin seems fine...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Please let us know how it turns out.

thfwp-smiley-09.gif

CarmenH

Unfortunately, when I woke up this morning, he was dead :-(
I got another one today...
No more caulerpa in my tanks...ever...I have several other macros that I enjoy and don't have to worry about...

Same thing happened to me. Caulerpa went sexual and my reef looked like swamp water. Only thing that cleared it up was a UV sterilizer. Sorry to hear about the 6line.

CarmenH

Thanks guys. The new one seems to be doing great. I got some frozen cyclopeze today and both the 6 line and the mandarin are PIGGING out on it!

OHreefer

I have 24 hour lighting with grape caulerpa in my refugium and it's been fine. Keeping 24 hour lights on it will prevent it from going sexual, or so I've heard. I wasn't able to grow chaeto for some reason so I had some grape caulerpa come out of nowhere in my tank, and moved it to the refugium, and it's growing like made and I trim it out every so often for nutrient export.

tnwillia

+1^, I have a few different types in my fuge. I trim & run the light 24/7. Not had any problems. Good luck!

zigginit

will the grape kind do this? i have some but have not had it for more then a few months. i would not want this to happen to me. so after it go's sexual do you get the plant growing out of the wood works after that due to the spread of seeds?

JandR

I have some in my cuttle tank. Are there any warning signs it will go sexual or since I dont leave the lights on 24 hours a day should I just takeit out?