Carl's 300g reef build

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Sorry Carl.......if I remember correctly you went with dry rock. I did the same thing on my 28g tank and had algae like mad...just like your saying. Not sure if it is correlated but I always believe that mine was leaching something.....and no matter how much gfo, cpe, carbon or water changes I did i couldn't get it under control.

You might have to wait it out.

redneckgearhead

Baking it is very tempting trust me I been there. I actually just within the last two weeks have rid my tank of ha after almost two year battle. I upgraded my skimmer, built and rebuilt an algae scrubber, which rid the tank until I started using coral food, then had another ha explosion, I changed my dsb and it went away for about 2 weeks, but my last offense I removed the dsb, added phosban, into my overflow and added denitrater in an old water filter housing with an old power head for flow. And it has worked so far.

carlfike

Just frustrating is all. I bet I removed 3cups of just algae today we'll see how things work out

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

carlfike

So my bicolor Benny got his head stuck in my clam yesterday. What a horrible sight.

carlfike

avavu2y4.jpg

4 day black begins. I can't take the algae anymore. I've tried everything and it hasn't even slowed down. I need to kill it all off and try to get ahead of it.

I've verified my rodi water. Even added a second di. I upped my water changes. I'm feeding twice a week. Added gfo. Nothing has helped. So frustrating.

redneckgearhead

I had to add phosban in my overflow and a denitrater in an old water filter housing with a pump hooked to it to finally defeat the dreaded ha. I fought it for almost 2 years off and on. Good luck.

carlfike

Wow...that's all I can say. I decided to get rid of the live rock rubble in my sump. The amount of junk collected in the rocks was disgusting. I think that may have been the source of all my issues. I gave filter socks and the skimmer going crazy as well as a gallon of carbon trying to clean up the nasty that got released. I'm prepping a water change too. I'm a believer now. Rock rubble is the devil.

carlfike

Ya I think so too. It was nasty. You live and learn I guess. I just wish learning wasn't so expensive lol.

carlfike

Tanks finally cleared up. I added some cheato to the now bare bottom sump. I still can't believe how much junk was caught in those rocks.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Well you know what they say.......

Haha glad you found an/the issue..... Hopefully it stops the hair algae. If you still have issues, take out a rock and place it in freshly mixed salt water..... Test for phates. It's possible that the rocks are leaching.

Sorry about the blenny :(

carlfike

If the rocks are leaching its just something I'll have to wait out I guess.