Cap. Nemos RSM 250

Hi Iain and thanks for your feedback!

To be honest with you those aren´t regular damselfish at all, but a fish called Chromis viridis aka Blue-Green Reef Chromis. They do descend from the damslefish-family, yes, but these are not of the aggressive type at all, compared to the damsels you probably are thinking of. These are on the contrary very easy having in a tank. They might pick on each other, but not a very big problem over time. My impression is that when larger fish is around they keep their gob shut and behave nice. But having a school separately from other fish, they might try to challenge each other. They eat well and (due to their miniscule size, doesn´t hassle any other fish or invertebrates in the tank. Beautiful schoolers that are very active during daytime - darting in and out of the rocks. They are also reasonably prized.

All the best,

Cap´n

Nice video, how do you find the damsels getting on with each other? I've heard that even in a shoal they tend to pick on the weakest, sometimes until only the dominant one is left.

Last edited:

imaccat

To be honest with you those aren´t regular damselfish at all, but a fish called Chromis viridis aka Blue-Green Reef Chromis. They do descend from the damslefish-family, yes, but these are not of the aggressive type at all, compared to the damsels you probably are thinking of.

It was actually these Chromis that I was thinking of as I had 2 of them, reduced to 1 because the larger bullied the other.

Glad to hear yours all get on well though!

You ought to have more than two Chromis, Iain. I, for starters, have had 7, but chose to sell 3 due to lower the fishdensity. I´ve heard that people have had some issues with the Chromis, often due to that they are kept too low in numbers. I was advised to keep at least 4. So I did. How´s your summer in Essex, by the way? Have you any trouble with overheating? Here in Norway it´s a steady air temperature of 25 degrees Celcius. I keep my chiller turned on all the time, ensuring a steady water temp at 26 degrees Celcius. Do you use a chiller?

all the best,
Cap´n

It was actually these Chromis that I was thinking of as I had 2 of them, reduced to 1 because the larger bullied the other.

Glad to hear yours all get on well though!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
You are very welcome - just was thinking I have near 100 snails & near zero algae - saw your sig line 5 snails and a "few" fish (bio-load)
010.gif

imaccat

You ought to have more than two Chromis, Iain. I, for starters, have had 7, but chose to sell 3 due to lower the fishdensity. I´ve heard that people have had some issues with the Chromis, often due to that they are kept too low in numbers. I was advised to keep at least 4. So I did. How´s your summer in Essex, by the way? Have you any trouble with overheating? Here in Norway it´s a steady air temperature of 25 degrees Celcius. I keep my chiller turned on all the time, ensuring a steady water temp at 26 degrees Celcius. Do you use a chiller?

all the best,
Cap´n

Thanks for the info, I may think about getting a few more then at some stage.

The summer here is very strange, absolutely lashing it down one minute, the next minute the sun is melting tarmac! A few weeks ago the chiller only just managed to keep the temperature stable, but was operating for hours at a time because it was so hot. I have the chiller on permanently, and even kicks in in the middle of winter (my wife likes the heating turned up!).

Cheers

imaccat

Hi,

I just wanted to say that my thoughts are with you and your fellow countrymen and women in what must be a terrible time for you all. I hope that you arent directly affected by the despicable acts of that madman!

Ashr

+3 I really hope things are going better for you and your country today. My heart is out to you and yours. I know this happened in your town and really hope this did not effect you directly.

Thank you very much Iain, Andrew, Cat and Glenn for your comforting words! I will forward this to everyone I know. Everyone in Norway really appreciates the compassionate thought coming in from throughout the world. We grieve the loss and injuries of our fellow countrymen. Me and my family weren´t directly affected in neither the horrendous blast nor the massacre, but a 17 year old girl from my neighbourhood was shot in the head at close range, and many more with her. What kind of man is capable of doing such a horrendous thing???

There is a very special atmosphere whereever you go in Oslo these days. Of course people are angry and sad at the same time. But there is no feelings that goes in the direction of retaliation. There´s this young girl (only 15 yrs. old) who assembled the whole nations feelings in her own words. Words which by now already has become a saying/aphorism in Norway, and these words are now travelling all around the world. She put it so beautifully: "If one man can show so much hate, then think of how much love we all together can show each other." Now people are aware of this, and you cannot walk the streets of Oslo without noticing that our streets are filled with love and compassion for other people. People are behaving with kindness and dignity. People smile to each other, hugging and patting each others backs. Today there was this guy giving away free coffe at the street giving hugs to everyone. It´s really touching and great to see people taking care of each other. We are a small country, and not many citizens. We are peaceful, warm and welcoming. Together we stand, and with love we will conquer all evil and hatred.

Thanks again,

Peace.

Geir "Cap. Nemo" Einarsen

steved13

PREMIUM
What a beautiful sentiment.

Glad to hear you and yours are well. Prayers and well wishes to those less fortunate.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
It was a horrible situation for Norway, but well said by that young girl:

"If one man can show so much hate, then think of how much love we all together can show each other."

Too many people filled with hate these days! These types of terrible situations have become much too common lately. :(

Yeah, it´s like you gotta ask yourself from time to time why you initially were put on this planet. People up to no good for other people: Go find yourself another planet!!

catran

Hey Captain! Haven't heard from you in a while. How's everything going? How's the tank?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Cat and everyone else!

I sold my RSM for £2500 here in Norway a while back.
I have a new tank now. I found out that I would try a trigonomic-shaped tank and put it in a vacant corner of my living room. That said, you know it´s NOT a RSM-tank. Soooo...I might not be in the right spot anymore, given this is the RSM club, but I I can´t bother putting up a new thread somewhere else. Besides, Reef Sanctuary is the best forum online.

My new tank is a Juwel Trigon tank (50 gallons), with a Juwel 3.0 skimmer and an external Eheim 250 filter. Now, I´ve bought two Tunze 6065 circ.pumps so I should have a decent degree of circulations to start off with (talking 3434 gallons p/h here!), more than sufficient for a 50 gallon tank.

What I´m pondering upon now is what´s the best spots to position the Tunze pumps in a trigonomic tank? Anyone have ideas?

Good to be back, anyway - and I have a lot of catching up to do reading your threads, friends! Looking forward to that.

Have a great weekend everyone!

OK. I now realize I can´t continue with this Juwel 3.0-skimmer. It´s placed inside the tank but it produces an immense volume of microbubbles. Every possible tuning with the air valve has been tried out. But no. The darn thing won´t budge! So. Does anyone have a recommendation on a external skimmer. By the way, I don´t have a sump, but I guess I could just place a skimmer in a small tank inside my cabinet with some live rock in the "sump-tank". I know that Deltec has some seriously good skimmers, but any tip or recommendation (links are welcome!) is appreciated along with your verdict!

Thanks!

Cap´n

catran

Hey Cap'n!!
Missed you! Congrats on the new tank. Wish I could recommend a skimmer but I haven't tried my ASM Mini yet, so I don't know how well it works.