Cap. Nemos RSM 250

Thank you Glen, Kay and Terry! Things are looking good, yes. But I have had a drop (over the past two weeks that is!) in my alkalinity, I´ve been aware of it and monitored it closely: May 10th it was 8,62 dKH and dropped down to 6,16 dKH on the tests I did May 25th. Mind you I´ve done 5 water tests during that period of time, so yesterday I took action with some Coral Buff and now alkalinity is at 7,84 dKH. All pH-tests come out good at 8,4, so the stability seems to be unaffected by the alkalinity drop.

What else, oh yes the nitrite/nitrate levels are at zero, so is the ammonia level, but I also had a drop in my magnesium levels. May 19th I measured magnesium at 1160 ppm, and yesterday it was down to 850 ppm - way too low, so I´ve added Success Magnesium and now it´s at 1060 ppm. Maybe these drops are caused by the fact that I´ve added quite a bit of livestock to the tank during the past two weeks?

TOPIC OF DISCUSSION:
Another thing that I´m pondering upon is buying an UV-filter. I´ve read here and there that people differ in opinion regarding using an UV-filter or not - but what is you guys opinions about using UV-filters? Are you guys using one, and if so, what are your verdict about it?
I trust your opinions way more than my LFS (though he´s a nice guy, he´s also running a shop and knows where my wallet is LOL), so I´m very interested in what you´ll say about this.

In advance: Thanks a lot guys!

Please help! My Convict has started to act very odd the last two days (see video), and he seems to have a black spot under the second black stripe on his left side. I´ve heard of white spot, but this is literally black. Disease of some kind of parasite is the first thought that struck me. Now I´m turning to you guys, maybe you have an idea of what this might be? I´ve desperately tried to net him up but it seems impossible. He´s too fast and just darts away behind the rocks as soon I succumb my net in the tank. What to do??

[video=youtube;LJUG37Z_cF8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJUG37Z_cF8[/video]

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Is the tang acting any differently than he has been? It looks like he didn't like being captured on video. It doesn't look like ich, but I'm very poor at fish diseases and parasites. It may be nothing to worry about, but I just don't know. You can also try posting the video in the fish disease/treatments forum for additional help.

Fish Diseases & Treatments

Hi Terry - yeah, this guy has been acting cool and calm since I first added him to the tank, but the past two days he´s been all over the place. Moving around the tank in the weirdest ways. Even swimming on his side, scratching his side to the substrate as if he´s got an itch or something. Something which makes me think he might have a parasite that bothers him. I´ll re-post the vid in the thread you gave me, Terry. Thanks!

Is the tang acting any differently than he has been? It looks like he didn't like being captured on video. It doesn't look like ich, but I'm very poor at fish diseases and parasites. It may be nothing to worry about, but I just don't know. You can also try posting the video in the fish disease/treatments forum for additional help.

Fish Diseases & Treatments

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
You're welcome Captain. I had a feeling that he may have been acting differently, based on the video. Maybe it is a parasite. I hope you get some replies in the other forum section. Wish I could help more but I've been very lucky in not having to deal with any fish diseases or parasites.

catran

Hi! Great video of the fish. I love the Chromis! Very sorry to hear your Convict is sick, wish I could help, I don;t know much about fish disease. :(

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hello Captain! Based on Lee's response in the fish disease forum (that the black area is natural), and you saying that the tang is acting normal again, it's good news!

steved13

PREMIUM
+1 on the good news

I was just watching one of my tangs and he was getting blown around as he passed by the MP10, it looked for a second like your tang in the video, which made me wonder. I figured it was a long shot, but worth asking.