Cap. Nemos RSM 250

Thanks - glad you like my slides and videos. I´m going to do a quite spectacular video experiment when my tank is filled with life and colours. It´s gonna be great and I´m really looking forward to the time when I can shoot it. I have done some testshoots already, and I´m pretty sure that there´s not many that have done this with a tank. Surprise coming your way, friends! ;-)

By the way, any suggestions on versatile cuc-combos..?

tnwillia

Great YouTube, Congrats on getting your Clowns to stay still long enough to get one great picture let alone several!

Great YouTube, Congrats on getting your Clowns to stay still long enough to get one great picture let alone several!

Thanks, Tom! They are pretty cute, cos when I sit down in front of the tank they assemble together right in front of me. The trick is to adjust the cameras shutter time correctly with the right blender, and of course use a tripod. All photos don´t always turn out smashing, but it tends to work alright for me. Did I mention that use of a tripod is essential? As well of following the two little buggars with the viewfinder and be swift on the trigger. I sometimes use the motor on my Nikon D40 as well.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Looking forward to the "spectacular video experiment" when it's time to create it.

It's difficult to recommend what to get for a CUC - depends on what may be available to you in Norway. Possibly....

Mexican Turbos, Astrea, or Trochus snails for green algae
Nassarius snails to stir the sand bed
Emerald crabs for green hair algae
Maybe a serpent star - great for picking up stray food on the bottom

Hermit crabs seem like they would rather eat the snails than anything else.

As to how many of each, or other recommendations, I'll let 250 owners reply.

Thanks for that piece of info, Reefmack! When it comes to invertebrates I gather that it´s up to what kind of biotope (or should I say aquatope?) I´m after. That is alone another question I still haven´t been able to come up with a decent answer to myself with yet, let alone what types of livestock it should contain. All I know is that I want corals (LPS mostly) along with anemones, a proper cuc and fish. I don´t know where this journey I headed out for ends, but that´s the thrill of it all, right? As long as I´m looking out for compatibility I think I should be alright. Next in line is a dozen turbo snails, emerald crabs and a serpent star (thanks Reefmack!). I think I´ll stay clear of them hermit crabs for now, then.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
You're welcome. Take your time and don't rush anything. The best thing you can do is try your best to plan it out ahead of time. That way you can try to avoid as many problems as possible. And keep yourself open to other opinions - I'm just one person and not an expert! By the way - avoid getting a Green Brittle Star - they have a bad reputation of being fish killers. Serpent stars are much safer - I've had mine almost 4 years now, and can't blame any fish deaths on mine, although it's a good part of the clean up crew when a fish dies. The serpent stars are however a real pain if you try to target feed corals - their arms are out trying to grab the food, so keep that in mind. You can always add a serpent star later. Shrimp will do the same thing, but it seems like we all have at least one cleaner shrimp.

Hello my salty friends - the first really challenge with my tank occured today: The left circulation pump stopped working! Right out of the blue the Sicce-pump (2700 l/h) caved right in. After just 3 weeks! So things are circulating a bit on the low side here for the moment, you might say. Have sent an email to support with inquiry about a possible replacement pump. Kev here on Ask Red Sea mentioned he knew of three incidents in the UK where this kind of problem had happened, so I guess it´s pretty rare. But that doesn´t mend my broken pump anyway. I do hope Red Sea proves to be as good at support as you guys say, cos this will not stand. I mean the tank is pretty expensive and all, and I really can´t see why the pump could break down like this unless it´s caused by some sort of production failure in this particular item that I´ve got. The pump was working absolutely fine until this morning when I detected that there was no ripples on the surface from the flow coming from the nozzle. Hope that they´ll send me a replacement pump. As luck will have it, I don´t have any corals in yet, but yesterday I bought 2 hermit crabs, 5 turbosnails and one Convict Tang. Love the Convict, but he´s really shy though it seems to have settled in. As soon as I pass the tank he´s rushing in behind the rocks or into a cave for hiding, so he seems a bit on the nervy side. Typical tangs, maybe. But he´s grazing pretty good and stays out of the clowns way.

catran

Capt., can I suggest you get a few empty shells? Hermits will kill snails for thier shells... get different sizes. If you get emeral crabs, make sure you get the small ones, the bigger ones may not eat hair algae at all!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Sorry to hear of the pump failure. Did you take it apart to see if something had jammed the impeller or some other identifiable problem?

A lot of my fish still hide when I walk up to the tank, unless I have food with me! :)

Capt., can I suggest you get a few empty shells? Hermits will kill snails for thier shells... get different sizes. If you get emeral crabs, make sure you get the small ones, the bigger ones may not eat hair algae at all!

I´ve forgot to mention that I brought along 5 empty shells in different sizes for the hermits, thanks cat! :) The hermits are small and eager at their task!

catran

Cool, I know it would make me mad to look at my tank and see a crab attacking and killing snails... that would stink! Great job!

Here´s a fishy update: I added 7 Chromis viridis to my tank today. They are some cool little fish. Schooling in two groups (!). One consists of three and stays inbetweem the rocks, while the 4 more bold ones school right in the middle of the tank for all to see. First I thought that they would school all together (and they probably eventually will do just that), but right after I let them loose, three of them darted straight in between the rocks, while the rest of them were frantically looking for their passports. "Hey Frankie...I guess we`re not in Kansas anymore!" Great fun!

I´m curious if there is some sort of marine lens that is available for connecting to my Sony DV-cam? Anyone know of this on the market? A type of lens that has a wired transmission of DV-signals??

Hey everyone! Just a break here while tending the tank. Water change is up. I gotta give a big up for Red Sea as well here,because I just got my replacement pump today!! Super service - much credit to Red Sea and their distributor here in Norway, Dogman!! :)

I will shoot a video later on this evening, so look out for a video post in my thread if you´d like to check in on my new additions to my tank which is a Convict Tang and seven Green-blue Chromis. Next up is some softies, but I guess I´ll give the tank a proper rest now until I add a few of them. I´m a bit lazy at times actually, so slow is cool with me, haha!

Here´s a HD-video of my tank as it is for the moment. Enjoy!

[video=youtube;fYYe8mRc3u0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYYe8mRc3u0[/video]