Can you say Banggai Baby

yankieman

About 2 weeks ago I noticed my male Banggai looked like he had a mouth full of eggs so I watched close for a week and soon was seeing little eyes in there so finally I trapped him and moved him to the the fuge tank on last Thurs eve,, Sun evening I looked in and holy moly I see babies , so watching careful for the next day I waited and counted 7 babies and he seemed to have a more in his mouth trying to get them to come out but they wouldnt ,, so on Tues morning I looked in and only seen 6 babies so I decided it was time to take him out and put him back in the DT ,, so I set the trap and using a small net started herding him to it and bam out popped about 10 more babies from his mouth , so after getting im into the DT and doing my tank maint for the week , I counted 14 babies , then I had to go away for a few hours ,,, later that evening all the babies had schooled up and after a final count i ended up with 18 babies ,,, so since i have tons of macro algea "IE" CHETO full of pods so I have been just shaking it in the tank to feed them and I have started baby brine shrimp hatching and feeding,, so far so good they all look great eating like little pigs,,,,,sorry about the pic quality I took about 30 and these are the best I could get I will try and keep you posted,,,,
d52d995b-bf59-42db-b2aa-4d56a53c8510.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

100_2853.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

100_2867.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

yankieman

OK here is some better pics , and add one to final count from 18 to 19 ,,

IMG_3480.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_3479.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_3478.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This is a very cool post. I just saw my male with eggs in his mouth this morning. I may have to put him down in my fuge or in my other tank where I am growing Amphipods, Copepods and brine shrimp. Once the babies are out, then I can move him back to the DT. Thanks for this post!!! It came in very helpful.

yankieman

This is a very cool post. I just saw my male with eggs in his mouth this morning. I may have to put him down in my fuge or in my other tank where I am growing Amphipods, Copepods and brine shrimp. Once the babies are out, then I can move him back to the DT. Thanks for this post!!! It came in very helpful.

Yup thats exactly what i did ,,, I noticed first babies on Sun evening and I moved the papa out on Tues morning and thats when he spit out the rest ,,, good luck with yours

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Y'all got me looking farther into Cardinalfish behaviors & compatibility....think I might want to add a couple of them. So, help me out here. How many do you have in your tank? How many did you start out with (add at the same time)? Do they hide or swim out in the open during the day or hide most of the day? I've read some on them but I'd like to hear more personal experience please. :D

I actually started out with 5 Cardinals. I ended up losing two of them. I have what appears to be one male and two females. All of them normally swim all during the day are are out in the open. Right now, my male is keeping the second female away and on the far side of the tank. I am thinking this has more to do with the eggs that he is carrying. I also have two Pajama Cardinals. I have no issues with any of them. Any other questions?

jerry26

i heard that if you have a longspine urchin the dad will put the babies in its spines for protection. anyone know if this is true?

I have heard the same thing. I have a long spinned urchin in my tank, so I am hoping this is true. I was thinking last night about leaving the male in the DT, but not too sure yet. What do you all think?