Can you say Banggai Baby

I agree with you. I would like to see the babies hanging out in his spines. I know that might piss off some other fishes that might be hungry at that moment, but would like to see them grow up in the DT with everything else....just like in the wild.

yankieman

Y'all got me looking farther into Cardinalfish behaviors & compatibility....think I might want to add a couple of them. So, help me out here. How many do you have in your tank? How many did you start out with (add at the same time)? Do they hide or swim out in the open during the day or hide most of the day? I've read some on them but I'd like to hear more personal experience please. :D

I have 2 banggi and 2 pajama cardinals, they dont move around alot during the day but are visible out front , I have had the 4 for about year and half, i figure i have 2 female pajama cards because the way i understand males wont get along that well unless you have a small school of them and mine never fight but never hang out together either and the Banggi cards are usually together ,, this is about the 3rd or 4th time the male has had eggs, i just wasnt able to save any before,,,,, the banggi's and pajama's are very similar in breeding habits,,, alot of breeders try and keep multiple males to give them a break from carrying eggs because it takes 18 to 21 days from eggs to free swimming and the male dosnt eat during that time, of course they keep the males separated ,,,

yankieman

i heard that if you have a longspine urchin the dad will put the babies in its spines for protection. anyone know if this is true?

I have heard that also I have even seen a pic of a home made urchin,, i dont know about the male "putting" the babies into the urchin? i think they just swim into one naturally , but i would like to have one too and see it,, i dont think I would leave the male in the DT if I want to save babies even with an urchin because when they come out to eat they will still become food themselves,, and feeding them would be more difficult ,,

Mrsalt

PREMIUM
This is fantastic. Those baby cardinals look really cool, realy makes it rewarding when things go just right that fish breed. Congrats fella and I'm tagging along for the ride.

Alan

jerry26

I have heard that also I have even seen a pic of a home made urchin,, i dont know about the male "putting" the babies into the urchin? i think they just swim into one naturally , but i would like to have one too and see it,, i dont think I would leave the male in the DT if I want to save babies even with an urchin because when they come out to eat they will still become food themselves,, and feeding them would be more difficult ,,

yea i really dont know how it works. it was a lfs guy that told me that so i was skeptical.

yankieman

5 days with babies I think I lost one ,, but they are very hard to count he maybe just hiding in the rocks somewhere,,they all are eating pods and baby brine shrimp like little pigs and growing ! they are more spread out now instead of one school,, I shake the Cheto several times a day to loosen pods and feed once a night with baby brine shrimp I am also raising pods in 2 5gal buckets "using phytoplankton" that i strain and dump in every few days just to make sure of the pod population,,, I will upload some more pics soon

yankieman

Here is a few more pics on my layout and where the babies actually are ,, I grow phytoplankton to feed my reef and to grow pods to feed my reef so I already had those on hand , I also started a baby brine shrimp hatchery next to the phyto,, the 2 buckets are growing pods,,

IMG_3481.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And here is the phyto and shrimp hatchery

IMG_3482.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My Refugium tank with the babies

IMG_3484.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And the new babies,,,,, and yes that is some aiptasia growing in there I had to remove my peppermint shrimp for fear he might eat babies , I just didnt want to take a chance ,,,

IMG_3485.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
WOW, You have an amazing set up! GOOD JOB :thumbup:
Looks like lots of work but seeing your baby Cardinalfish grow is a nice payoff.
Thanks for letting us come along for a free ride :D I'm enjoying your thread. :)

That is one sweet setup!!!! I wish you lived closer to me to assist me in setting up something like that. I have been wanting to do that for a while now. I could use any advice you may be willing to give as for your 'secrets' to making it all work. :)

yankieman

That is one sweet setup!!!! I wish you lived closer to me to assist me in setting up something like that. I have been wanting to do that for a while now. I could use any advice you may be willing to give as for your 'secrets' to making it all work. :)

Feel free to ask away ,, I have no secrets to hide LOL