Can somebody tell me if this Coral is dead or just hiding

Mty1986

I got it
965CE7A1-B1FE-457B-A43C-35AB597B345E-261-00000013415EB2B2_zps2c74ef2f.jpg

Yeah looks closed up. I would put it down and leave him for awhile. You'll know if it's dying. There's no mistaking what corals look like when they are dying.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I've had 2 cyphastrea, one who's polyps extended all the time and died quickly and another that I never see the polyps extended and is still living and spreading on the rock where I placed it. Go figure.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ditto to above. Honestly handling almost any coral will make it withdraw any tentacles and even induce some stress on the animal. Honestly holding a coral isn't the best way to help determine it's current status. Put it down in it's natural environment for hours and see if you notice any change. If it goes days with no signs of change (good or bad) you can take it out and give it the "Sniff Test"... chances are you'll know without a doubt if it's still alive or not... some coral have a slight smell to them but ALL dead/dieing coral smell VERY bad.... I doubt you could mistake a bad smelling coral for a dead coral... YUCK!!

Mty1986

Thanks all. I bought it a week ago and since I brought it home it has looked like this. It looked way different at store.