Cabinet question....

undercoverRSM

Hi guys

I feel a bit embarrased asking this, but I have a question regarding the totem cabinet for the 250.

I've built my fair share of flat packed furniture (I even installed our kitchen!) but the cam screws on the Totem cabinet just don't seem quite right to me. On eveything I've built before the cam crews have a natural 'bite' point where they are fully screwed in. The cam screws on my cabinet don't seem to have this - I tried just screwing it in so far that the thread is no longer showing. The cam itself would then not insert into the hole. I tried tightening until I felt 'reasonable' resistence and this seemed too far for the cam to tighten. On these ones I ended up bending the cam ( I luckily had some spare that fitted).

I'm totally impressed with the quality of the paint job etc, but I'm just not 100% happy with my final build. For example, some of the cams sit flush, others are a little raised from the surface of the cabinet. Most of the panels are nice and tight, some just don't seem as tight as others. Don't get me wrong, the thing seems as sturdy as anything and looks great externally , but on the inside it is not as good as I expected. Are my expectations too high?

Has anyone else has any issues? Feeling like the world's worst DIYer at the moment!!

Oh, and sorry for jumping straight in with questions - I'll introduce myself properly soon - juggling work/family/tank at the moment!!

Regards

Mike

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hi Mike,

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Sure some RSM 250 owner can help, but if it's like the 130D one... it's just a "locking system" the cam just catches the slot...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Welcome Mike! I'll let 250 owners reply, but I don't recall any similar problems when I put my 130 cabinet together.

Mike my 250 stand was the same way (some went in great, others not so much). I then had a few people sit on the stand with me to see how well it held LOL. Everything has gone fine with mine. I'm actually about to move it with in the next 2 weeks so I'll let ya know if there are any issues after the tank is drained and refilled :).

jpsika08

Welcome to RS and RSM community :)

Sorry for not being able to help, my cabinet came in assembled when I purchased :(

tnwillia

Welcome to RS Mike! Mine went together without any problems. Your at the mercy of the person running the machine. Good luck with your tank and start a tank thread when you can.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
It's been a long time, but I think I can recall some of the cam screws going in easily, and others needed a bit of help from a hammer. But they did all lock in OK.

imaccat

Hi Mike,

Hows it going with the cabinet, have you sorted it yet? If not a couple of photos of the problems you have might help.

undercoverRSM

Hi Iain

Red Sea are sorting something out for me - waiting at the moment though. I have pretty much everything else prepared though!

Regards

Mike

clka

Just wanted to say Welcome Mike! Good luck with the cabinet, and will look forward to your tank thread :)

Cheryl

dankent

I had the same issue with the RSM 130D cabinet ... strong finish .... but shotty wood and the brittle soft metal used for the cams .... I bent a couple as well.... once it was together it was sturdy enough so i proceeded forward and hasnt let me down yet. I dont expect much out of a mass manufactured wood stand, and eventually i will have the local menonites make me something better :) but for now it serves the purpose.

undercoverRSM

Thanks!

I fully intend to post pictures when my project gets some momentum. I have a room full of stuff ready to go - my tank, chiller, substrate, test kits, new DI resin & RO filters, rowaphos, test kits, etc plus I have my ATO and stock to migrate from my existing tank. I just need my cabinet sorted and operation RSM250 begins!

My plan is to fill the RO directly, heat then add the salt, then put a couple of my existing rocks across to start the cycle. When I bought my existing tank I ended up with a mix of live and ocean rock - I'm going to use this as an opportunity to replace the ocean rock. There is someone fairly local selling some live rock - again I have not been able to commit to anything until I get the tank in place.

I want to store my chiller externally - I'm weighing up the time/cost benefits of building a housing from scratch vs buying a dog kennel and modifying it!

Hey guys - I have a question re lifting the tank from the box - is there any good/bad places to grab onto when lifting? The instructions simpy says 'lift the tank into place' using 2 people - sounds easy huh? I was surprised about the weight of the empty tank - seems an awful strain to lift from the rim of the tank! Could be worrying about nothing - I just wondered if anyone could give any tips!

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

Regards

Mike

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I think I cut my box down the side corners to get better access, and I only had a 130. I had the wife help me lift it into place, just be sure I didn't drop it. We did lift it by the rims (can't remember for sure), but that would be a bit more scary with a 250.

undercoverRSM

Hi guys

Well a HUGE thanks to Kev from Red Sea for sorting out my cabinet issues - excellent customer service!

My tank is currently filling with RO.....................

Regards

Mike

undercoverRSM

Oh and sorry I forgot - many thanks for all the replies - I ended up lifting the tank up in front of the cabinet onto a table ( still in the box so could use the handles) at roughly the correct height. I then cut the box away and lifted it back onto the cabinet with my lovely assistant helping. Much heavier than it looks!

Regards

Mike