Bubble Algae

Izzy

Rjones I do not know a whole lot on this subject, but I have to say at this point it seems like you should probably just cut your loses and go with daveK's plan. shutting it down like Dave said would be a great chance to re-design the entire filtration system and get a good clean start. I would imagine it would take a lot of the headache out of your problem.
One thing I know I have read about a lot though in these forums are how Bio balls are a nightmare, and how people spend a long time weening there tanks off of them! The other thing I have noticed personally and on this website are that canister filters for Salt tanks just don't cut it. I had a canister for the first 6 months, and when I switched to a the sump design it was like a night and day difference. The best choice I could have made for the tank.

As I stated I still don't know to much information on these subjects myself but I can only assume that if there is a gunk/sludge anywhere in the system that's bad. I could be wrong...

even though I was not to much help here I wish you good luck with your tank, and I hope things turn around for you!

Last edited:

soco

I have emerald crabs and they do work on my bubble algae. Of course it is per crab. As far as the emerald crabs eating any coral i have never heard of this and none of mine have ever messed with my coral as far as i have seen.

Izzy

Well I may give the emerald crab a try..I am hearing from alot of people on here that they don't bother the coral. I am curious to know should I feed them something? if so what?

soco

If you have alot of bub algae then no... if not i would try and aim any food you feed to the tank at them and see what they like

jtboehmjr

Hi All, Interesting post.

My personal belief with bubble algae and most other algae is to leave them alone and not get over obsessive about them. Usually continuos perturbations just cause them to spread and almost never gets rid of them. Most algae are cyclical so they will come and go depending on there population density. Before I took on this philosophy I used to spend countless hours trying to eradicate algae. Sometimes it will work, but generally with most algae (bubbles included) the constant disturbances just helps them to spread. Sure if there is a clump of bubbles that can be removed gently without rupturing anything you can pull it out, but in general, given time the population will dye off in my experience. Filtered water is also critical for keeping silicate and other trace mineral levels down that things like cyanobacteria love, but even a cheap water filter usually works fine.

swissgaurd

i had a bad case of bubble algae,i used to pick them off the rocks on a daily basis,i then looked for animals that would do the work for me,tried emerald crabs,didnt work.
i added a vlangi tang,a foxface and a black longspine sea urchin.
walla algae gone,i caught the vlamagi tang and the foxface both eating bubbles

vic

Izzy

interesting finds! I was actually considering the fact that if I am able to find the cause of the bubble algae, neutralize it and then just let it slowly disappear that may be the best fix. But at the same time I still am receiving a lot of information on creatures and animals that may eat it. Tough decisions! :) Might keep trying to do some research of my own, see what I can turn up!

I apparently got a bit of red bubble algae on a rock a few months back. I've never tried to remove it. I've heard the stories about the bubbles bursting and making the algae spread throughout the tank. Since I've never touched it, it hasn't spread anywhere. It's still only on that one rock and is actually quite pretty. I won't attempt to do anything with it unless it starts to spread. I think I'd do more damage then good right now trying to remove it.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I've popped one removing a huge one over a year ago, and never have seen any more since. If you think about it an emerald crab would have to pop them to eat them. Some of it may have to do with what stage of life the bubbles are in, but popping them is definitely not a guarantee that they will spread.