Bubble Algae

Izzy

I have over the past few months had a problem with some different type of algae. I had a cyano problem that was driving me mad, I think I have spearheaded that issue I hope... Now though is the Bubble Algae, it is the type that grows in small clusters. I forget the scientific name of the algae. When I first noticed it I went through the process of gouging it out and siphoning the water around when I did it. Unfortunately the growth has gone past being able to control it that way. I am writing now to see if I may be able to get some help on how I may be able to rid myself of this type of algae.
Thanks!

jcgardner

I have some right now. When I do a water change I will pull the rock out and scrub it off in the water I syphoned out of the aquarium then put the rock back. I don't know if you could do this but for me it has always been the safest way to not spread it around.

Izzy

Well I am really not able to pull the rocks out, because of the corals growing on all the rocks. Thank you for the idea though. I heard though that the emerald crabs will eat my coral, is this true?

jcgardner

It is possible. I have two emerald crabs, one will eat it and one will not. Just depends on the crab I guess.

kenpa

I'll chime in on the Emerald Crabs. They will solve the problem. But their tastes vary a bit. Some, in my opinion, like only small bubbles [as in too small to notice], others eat all bubbles.
Kenny

pbrsucks

I've had problems multiple time with bubble and slime algae. You need to get rid of the cause not the problem. You have to start by killing the bacteria the algae is eating. (Erythromycin) Then do several 30% water changes to lower the phosphates. Cut down your light cycles at the same time until you get it under control. Make sure you take out your charcoal filters if you have any for 24 hours and kill the skimmer to 24 hours also. Once the skimmer comes back on you will have to watch it for a few day as it will foam up while taking the Erythromycin out. I know most people don't like this method but I find it to be less damaging then all other ways.

wonderloss

I have never heard of Erythromycin for this. Wouldn't this harm the bacteria that are responsible for denitrificiation?

lofter1

Get a Sea Hare, I had major problems with purple algea and also hair algea and after a couple weeks almost all the algea is gone. Just beware that after he eats all the algea you may have to find something that he will actually eat or take it back to your lfs or find someone else with a problem tank and swap him back and forth with other people. But beleive me they will clean the sand bed and rock like new.
Hope this helps

4reefer

This is my first time posting a response so bear with me...

I have the same algea history that you do, and I never heard of Erythromicin either. However, I have heard of Emerald Mithrax Crabs !!!!!HOWEVER!!!!!!
The thing with bubble algea is unless you remove the entire bubble without popping them, they will spread, so the idea is not to pop them. And that is exactly what the crabs do!!! Because they eat the skin not the spores. Have you ever seen the crab eat them like popcorn???? I sure haven't and that would be quite a site to see! So unless you got a Monster Mithrax crab that can fit a whole bubble in it's mouth you have a beautiful self sufficient Mithrax environment that for us is really annoying.

I've chosen to buy myself a UV Sterilizer to try an kill the bubble algea problem. I've been recommended to do this because the theory is that the UV Sterilizer will kill the cells and spores and keep the bubble algea from spreading.

I haven't received it yet in the mail buy I will let you know if it works.

tate

I have tried all those crabs and they haven't work for me. Honestly not worth the risk they bring. The only way to get rid of them is eliminating the cause of it which is to much nutrients. cut your feedings down and increase your water changes. When ever you do a water change that is your time to take out any rock possible even with corals and put them in a bucket with the water you just took out. then you can scrape them off. Rinse well in another bucket with water and put back in the tank. This is another reason why to do frequent water changes. it eliminates these pest.

Izzy

Very interesting answers from everyone thank you. A few things I have done recently which has stopped the cyano are I now feed the fish every other day and I now cover the tank with heavy black fabric when the tank is dark which lets no extra light in. I Have been doing regular 25% water changes every two weeks. Thankfully I have not seen any Cyano since I began doing all this! I am not sure what the root cause of the nutrients could be at this point though with the changes I have made. I just know I really would prefer to not have crabs eat my coral and I REALLY REALLY don't want to take the live rock out. This is a very frustrating algae. That is a first for me for hearing about the sea hare though, might have to do some research into that. If anyone has some suggestions on where my nutrients problem could be though that would be helpful!
Again thank you all!

I have two or three emerald crabs and they don't touch the s#!%! I don't have a big problem with it, but I get a few bubbles every now and then

Izzy

Well I seemed to have solved the cyano by reducing feeding to every other day and reducing the lighting a little and I cover the tank with heavy black fabric so that absolutely no extra light can get in the tank at night and early morning. I am pretty sure the reduced feeding is what really helped but I will continue doing both. hope this helps.

my emeralds dont eat it either. I see them picking at the rocks, but never see them clearing out anythiing. I give mine a pellet ever other day or so. Just to keep them content. Ive never had one even touch a coral, walk on, sure, but eat it, no.

Rjones

Hi I would like to add some information on this type of algae.

My 300 gallon has gone through some changes over the past few years. I have a tank person come out 1x a week and do a 30 gallon water change.
Fish load is light. About two years ago has some LFS put copper into main display and it did a number on the snails and sand bed. It did kill the ich on a few of the fish. It was the wrong thing to do. It created a ton of nutrients in the tank which fueled a huge hair algae take over. Very nasty.

Sea Hares were amazing, they ate it all in like 2 weeks. They had a ton of area to cover. Problem is the sea hares left nutrients in the water and they were starving. I got rid of them and it came back months later. This time it was more of this purple/maroon colored slime with bubbles in it.

I bought just one sea hare and he did not do the job of the previous ones. he did not like that red slime at all. He did not eat the hair very fast either. He was a slacker. He was of the same species but not the same hare as before.

The tank according to our mainteance fellow is good.
- Nitrates 10
- Nitrite 0
- Ammon - 0
Ph ?? but normal
Phosphates - a bit high .2?

The tank seems to be a death pit for new fish. They look fine for weeks but they end up gasping for air at top and spining around. We took one in to LFS who said its not ich. 1 week in copper/blue solution seemed to cure it.

I decided to hit it at its source, starve it out. To do that I need a refugium.

Its all hard plumbed so I spent a sat rearanging the plumbing. I had to decide if I wanted to keep a secondary filter (canister) used for polishing water and carbon. Or have more room for a ref. I decided to remove the canister and put the UV in better location.

So the tanks been runing 3 weeks without its UV or the canister.
The big hippo tang (3 years old) went belly up. And the red slime seemed to get worse. The UV must be killing spores because without it the slime did get worse. Why did the tang die? No idea, the other fish and snails look fine.

Maybe low 02? Does that slime suck oxygen out of the tank?

Some chemical that he does not test for is out of wack?

Can high phosphate kill them? Its not that high but enough where I know its helping the algae. The algae in the tank may be ugly but its processing some nitrate and phosphate or it would not grow.

Plan -

- Upping the UV from 25 to 57 watt. (found out its the same size, only the ballast differs.
- 30 gallon refugium with sand bed or maybe miricle mud and chaeto.
- Run the tank with no lights for about a month and only have the refugium lights on.
- Tear down the bio balls and suck out all the gunk that has collected in the bottom.

He says he has other tanks with dirty looking bio ball chambers and they do not have the same algae issues that my tank does.

They only feed them like 4 cubes a day. The skimmer is not the best but its taking a cup a week of gunk out.

What does that red slime eat?

I'd get more sea hares if I thought they would eat it but the last one did not like the taste of the slime.

I'm willing to get rid of all the fish and let the tank totally starve out which should make the algae fade away.

I know its FO which some people think does not need a refugium. There is a fellow with a FO larger than mine. He has a huge refugium on it and the tank maintanace people say his fish look as good or better than the reef tanks they do.

My tank person said that every FO tank he tanks care of that has hippo tangs all have the same problem. The tangs get that beat up look to them, color rubbing off the nose etc. Looks like lateral line disease maybe it is but they live a long time looking beat up. 6 + years.

He has taken some of these tangs and put them into a reef tank, he says they get all their color back.

The only FO he has seen where the tangs are not beat up is the one guy I know that has a refugium on it.

There obviously is something in the mud, or water quality that tangs need. Something you don't get in FO tank.

30 gallon will leave me some room to work and also room for larger skimmer.
If I really tried I could probably get a 24x24 x "ht refugium. in it.

Maybe 40 gallon. 30 would be easier though.

Will 30 gallons put a dent in the 300 gallon tank in terms of actually helping?

If I had room I;d do a 100 gallon ref.

I figure once I starve out the algae and get the phosphates and nitrates close to zero the tank will be healthier for fish.

If I can't get the nitrates to zero I would probably add one of those denitrifier gagets. They are like a wound up copper pipe with bacteria growing in it. They only do about 20 gallons per day but the water coming out is suppose to be like RO water. So its like a 20 gallon per day water change. Don't really know if they work well but they are small. Maybe in combination with a 30 gallon ref. it will be enough.

With my canister gone not sure how I will run carbon.
A few ideas.

1. Put it right over the drip plate between two sheets of floss.
2. I have a phosphate reactor that I could fill with carbon.

I'm wondering if my algae got worse because I am not longer polishing the water with that big canister. It was 100 micron pore size and it would be full of gunk when I would clean it each month. Now that gunk just gets pushed around. I suppose a floss filter with or without carbon over the drip plate would do the same thing.

Does this plan make sense? Is it insane?

All comments welcome.

Thanks!

DaveK

Hi I would like to add some information on this type of algae.

My 300 gallon has gone through some changes over the past few years.
About two years ago has some LFS put copper into main display ... It created a ton of nutrients in the tank which fueled a huge hair algae take over. ...

...This time it was more of this purple/maroon colored slime with bubbles in it.

The tank according to our mainteance fellow is good.
- Nitrates 10
- Nitrite 0
- Ammon - 0
Ph ?? but normal
Phosphates - a bit high .2?

The tank seems to be a death pit for new fish. They look fine for weeks but they end up gasping for air at top and spining around. We took one in to LFS who said its not ich. 1 week in copper/blue solution seemed to cure it.

My tank person said that every FO tank he tanks care of that has hippo tangs all have the same problem. The tangs get that beat up look to them, color rubbing off the nose etc. Looks like lateral line disease maybe it is but they live a long time looking beat up. 6 + years.

He has taken some of these tangs and put them into a reef tank, he says they get all their color back.
Does this plan make sense? Is it insane?

Ok, as you can see from the edited post your system has a lot of problems. You have an algae problem, a system treated with copper problem, a nitrate problem, a new fish death problem, and possible problems with tangs (not sure if you have this problem with a tang, or are just commenting on why you want a refugium).

Additional notes -

A sea hare will not eat red algae (cyano), very few things will.

A skimmer removing only 1 cup of material a week is way sub standard. I get more than that per day out of the skimmer on my 125 gal tank, although some of this could be due to a low bioload.

The new fish death problem seems to indicate a disease problem. Most likely your existing fish have acquired some immunity to the disease. Because copper seems to work, and the disease doesn't seem to be SW ich, I suspect we are talking about marine velvet here. This is another parasite disease.

I do not think your plan makes sense and at best only applies a band-aid to the underling problems.

The first think I recommend you do is to step back and think about what you want out of your system. This will dictate what you need to do with your existing system.

Here is what I would do if it were my tank. It is a radical approach. In effect this is a conversion to a FOWLR system, which I consider to be much more effective and give much better results compared to a FO system.

I would remove all fish to a quarantine tank and treat then for 8 weeks with the usual copper treatment.

I would remove all inverts to another tank that can hold them for an extended period.

I would tear down the 300 gal tank, discarding all existing sand, if any, and all decoration that may have absorbed copper. This is mostly coral or other coral based rocks.

I would discard the entire existing filtration system. UV unit, skimmer, canister, and all other filter components.

Sterilize the remaining equipment is a bleach solution, rinse and soak in several FW changes.

If the system is not "reef ready", that is having built in overflows, either drill the tank and install internal overflows, or get external overflows. You'll need at least two large ones for a 300 gal tank.

Replace the filtration system with a berlin type sump, and a large powerful external skimmer rated for about a 600 gal tank. (Manufacturers tend to be "extremely optimistic")

You may also wish to include some phos-ban and/or carbon reactors in the filtration system. You may also wish to include a refugium. These are optional and could be added later.

Get all the equipment installed. Then fill the system with fw and test for leaks.

Next, you are going to need biological filtration. Traditionally you would use about 300 lbs of live rock. This would be fine, but would also be very expensive. Alternatives are dry coral base rock or making agrocrete rocks. In any case, you'll need 300 to 400 lbs of rock. I would use just enough sand to cover the bottom.

Drain the FW used to test your system, Refill the system with the new rocks and SW. Make sure you use RO/DI water to mix your salt. Add a few new live rocks to seed the system. Add a raw uncooked deli shrimp to start the initial cycle.

After the initial cycle completes, test your water for nitrates. If you get a high reading for them, either make large partial water changes to reduce them, or wait for the natural processes to lower nitrate. This could take weeks.

Once the fish have been treated for 8 weeks, you can add them and the inverts into the newly setup system, but add them back slowly. Only add 1 major item a week. Give the system time to establish things.

Be sure to quarantine any new livestock additions. You just went through a total rebuild to fix everything. No point in messing it all up by adding a sick fish.

Enjoy your new setup. Feed your tangs a lot of vegetable matter. Nori sheets are a good source. Nori is the seaweed used to make sushi. You can usually find it in a well stocked grocery.