Bryopsis-Trying to not Give Up!

Coraljunkie

I've heard people say to remove the carbon just in case because no one really knows what exactly in kent tech m kills the bryopsis

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I took it out, I hope I don't have to leave it out for long. I guess I don't do my routine WC until I the Tech-M has a chance to work on the Bryopsis either :ponder2:
The biggest patch of it now is on the back corner of the sand bed. I thought about tuning all water circulation off & siphoning out the sand bed & Bryopsis but then talked myself into WAITING until it's at least in a weakened state or DEAD :dead: before I try anymore manual removal.
I just hope this stuff works. Ready to be done & enjoy my tank again ;)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
So when do you start the treatment?
Got my Tech-M in yesterday & added the 1st 70ml of it last night. Will re-test and add more today.
The only major concern is that my Mg start out level is already higher than I thought it would be @1470 so I may not be able to add enough of the Tech-M to kill the Bryopsis & not do too much damage :dunno:
May have to do a WC....but apparently my Mg level isn't lowered by WC :dunno: cause I do keep up with them...I've just never tested Mg so I had no idea it was staying UP.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Diana, did you test your calcium and alk too? They are all connected....
Yes, and I needed to UP them both a little also. I will test all of them again & keep a close watch on them as well as my SG. I like to wait until I have good daylight to do my testing & that's about now. Be back to post results soon.
Thanks for keeping in touch....I sure would hate to think I had to do this without y'all ;)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Today's test (day two) with no noticeable results yet (of course):
Temp: 77.4°
SG 1.025
Mg 1530ppm
Alk 7
CA 420

Already added more Kent Tech-M
I'm still puzzled if I'll be able to add enough to see it start killing the Bryopsis.
My Mg starting level was too high :( to bring up enough MORE?

Last edited:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I hope I'm reading this correctly.... Salifert Mg test on 2nd fill of the syringe:
Any guess from any of you who test of with this test? Off the chart (above 1500) boggles my mind a little bit. :dummy::lookaroun
eaea3442e82ef91652dfb2706f5ca55f_zps7d5fb45a.jpg

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Is your kit good? How old is it?
I just got it from Drs. F&S ....I have a Red Sea Pro & I've only tried it once. It frustrated me so I ordered the Salifert one. May have to try it again.

Thanks Captn' Snid :thumbup: ...I try to keep my nails DID, but I might be biting them off before this Bryopsis dies :(

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I think it looks more like bryopsis due to the darker color. But it's worth a look. The thing that stinks about the bryopsis is that there are strings out there that tech-m doesn't work on. In my old 29, it was everywhere and tech m didn't work. Took the tank down. With my recent patch, 3 days of 100ml a day and it melted away incredibly fast.

Oxylebius

There are several different Caulerpa species that look like Bryopsis.
I also think that what Di has is Bryopsis due to it's dark color.

Most of the Caulerpa fern species are various colors of green. For example:
C. ashmeadii - http://marineplantbook.com/marinebookashmeadii.htm
C. mexicana - http://marineplantbook.com/marinebookmexicana.htm
C. Sertulariodes - http://marineplantbook.com/marinebookfeather.htm
C. taxifolia - http://marineplantbook.com/marinebooktaxifolia.htm

Di's is a bit darker.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Thanks for the input & tagging along with me through this process.
I know for sure that neither of my Mexican Turbo Snails will eat it...I've sat them right near it & they won't touch it. I believe from all the pictures I have seen that it is Bryopsis.
It has very dark thick feather plumes. It's actually beautiful but I don't want a tank full of it!!
My major concern is being able to add enough of the Kent Tech M to kill it.
I'm in shock that my Mg was at a high level to start with and it makes me feel way too limited on how much I'll be able to dose.
I don't want to stress my fish :( or kill my turbos :( or my pods & micro-brittle stars.
The micro-brittle stars are loving the patch of it that's on the sand bed...noticed this morning it was full of them.
I'll be testing daily & I guess only time will tell if I can get rid of it.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Diana, if you're raising it 200 ppm and you don't see it pulling back I'd stop. Pull out a frag and test it in the 1800 range. No reason to raise the tank all the way up if the mg isn't doing it. Tech m doesn't always work

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Nice post Drugmonkeyrx worth a think :) Fern Caulerpa Di algae does looks a bit different... but hard to see in pics... any "runners" Di? Fern Caulerpa seems to grown with them...
fern.jpg

C_taxifolia_close_Med_RW.jpg

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
No runners on the algae that I have growing that I can see.
The large LR that I took out & sprayed with hydrogen peroxide, scrapped off & sprayed again was put into a 10 gal. QT for several days. I then put it back in my tank & the Bryopsis has NOT regrown on it.
It has since popped up in a few more places so I feel like I need to continue treatment of my whole system.
I may try more manual removal of anything I can easily remove & treat outside the tank.
It is just scary that it can show up in different places so quickly. :( and it grows FAST. :mad:
I need to test water again but putting it off until tomorrow. Adding 1/2 the dose of Tech M today.