Bryopsis-Trying to not Give Up!

Coraljunkie

I wouldn't mess with it at all, if the tech m works just let it melt away.i must have had a super mutant bryopsis in my tank because everything I tried did not work. I did kent tech m for 3 months to no avail. Some people get lucky some people tear tanks down and start over. Hopefully you get lucky

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I'm sorry to hear that you are having to deal with the "devil algae" also....
But from your picture, YES YOU ARE :(
Please update & share here all you can with pictures & process. Maybe it will :help: bring about a cure without so much fear for us & others that search for help.
Thanks for jumping in...sorry you had to. We gotta do what it takes!!

coralrama

I've seen a bit on some zoa frag plugs for a while, along with other algae. I gave them all a good hydrogen peroxide dip before moving them into my new tank and thought that had done it. But alas there it is. It was growing under a stylo and I didn't see it.

I was just gone for work for a few days and saw it today when someone knocked over the stylo (my checkerboard wrasse was so happy to see me he started remodeling)

I'm starting by overfeeding since I know they may get stressed in the next few days and just had a 2 day diet while I was on the west coast.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I'll be starting the magnesium RISE tomorrow IF I can find & purchase some Kent Tech-M where I shop semi-locally.
If they don't have any, I will have to wait until my order from Dr. F&S arrives next week.
I only order a small bottle & then I read it might take a gallon :eek:

reefer gladness

Tech-M still works, has not been re-formulated and will not bleach your corals regardless of what others say.

What will potentially cause problems is not watching alkalinity and pH. Many people don't test for magnesium and already have low levels which reduces buffering capacity. Some salts are being manufactured with low magnesium levels to increase solubility (and maybe save manufacturing cost). When people start wildly dosing magnesium to these systems the alkalinity increases rapidly which will bleach some corals.

What I did was manually remove as much bryopsis as I could easily and gradually raised magnesium up to over 1500PPM. Not sure how much over but it wasn't much (Salifert test kit only goes up to 1500 PPM).

My LFS did a vid on this recently too:

[video=youtube;5tDG-qlFOGU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tDG-qlFOGU[/video]

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Thanks for sharing that video here Sean!
I'm wondering your thoughts (or anyone else's) on whether to remove my Chaetomorpha & Red Dragon's Breath Algae Or take my whole refugium off-line. I have my refugium grown to Max with macro & it might not be good if it all dies off? Not even sure it will or not be in danger of dying. ??

Surfnut

Just a quick update. Sea Hares may be listed as slightly difficult in their care: They are not. These things are little tanks as long as you keep them out of your powerheads. The biggest issue with a Sea Hare is not having enough algae to facilitate it's nutritional needs: Aka it starves. That's why I tend to stay with the dwarfs and go with a few of them. If I see no algae in the tank I may go down to a single hare to keep things in check.

reefer gladness

Thanks for sharing that video here Sean!
I'm wondering your thoughts (or anyone else's) on whether to remove my Chaetomorpha & Red Dragon's Breath Algae Or take my whole refugium off-line. I have my refugium grown to Max with macro & it might not be good if it all dies off? Not even sure it will or not be in danger of dying. ??

Hi Diana, I would leave chaeto and other macros and keep the fuge online. In fact they are helping you fight the battle by taking up the same nutrients that bryopsis needs. Maybe cull the chaeto occasionally so it continues to grow.

Snid

Curious... Can you keep a Sea Hare fed with algae tablets when they've done their job to keep them fed?

Mr.Reeefer

I have no advice to give Diana, sorry, but, I'm curious as to know how it got there in the first place, any new additions lately? maybe you have already said how it got there, but will so much reading I do I may have forgotten.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I have no advice to give Diana, sorry, but, I'm curious as to know how it got there in the first place, any new additions lately? maybe you have already said how it got there, but will so much reading I do I may have forgotten.
I'm thinking that it has to have been laying dormant for a very long time. I have added nothing new that I suspect brought it in. I'm not sure how long it can stay dormant but I honestly think it can & did in my tank.
The little zoa frag that I 1st noticed it on had been in my tank for probably close to a year. I had not put it in an optimal growing place tho...it had not multiplied it's polyps like other zoa frags have in my tank.
I added bags of copepods & Amphipods 2 separate times and dump in water from those bags w/o much inspection & no kind of QT. Maybe it got in then :confused: still that's been a while back.
I usually dip all new corals in Coral RX & then inspect them with strong magnification lens before putting them in my tank.
What worries me is that I plucked that little frag off (outside of the tank) but didn't rinse it thinking it was just growing GHA & I'm not afraid of GHA. My turbos eat GHA, they won't eat this stuff.
I'm afraid I'm sitting on a Bryopsis time bomb :poof: that could explode before I get the stuff to stop it :(

Oxylebius

AND I have not had any of it in my tank ever (my old 40g or the rsm250) - so it didn't come from the frags I gave you!!!!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
AND I have not had any of it in my tank ever (my old 40g or the rsm250) - so it didn't come from the frags I gave you!!!!
I know it didn't Sue so don't worry about me thinking it even could have. I just hope that the frags I sent you doesn't somehow contaminate your tank. I need to read back through my own thread & see when I got the little zoa frag that I noticed it on 1st.

Just got back from my semi-LFS (already was closed for the holiday) & Petco....scored ZERO for finding Kent Tech-M or any Magnesium test kits. So it's wait or get brave enough to try manual removal & then QT.
I don't know what to do. Keep thinking I could just take that rock & the coral on it out & trash them. But then it might be that it's already other places & I don't want to take everything out of my tank. :(

Mr.Reeefer

Interesting.....

Once again, I have no insight into this issue, And with that in mind Di, all I can advise is be calm and patient. I have no idea of the growing speed of this Bryopsis, but I'm sure you will have enough time to wait for your cure before it does serious damage to your tank.

With what you have said in your last post, if it was dormant for an extended period of time, I would assume that's because it was missing a link to thrive, now it has that link to grow and multiply, so if the dormant theory is correct, what has changed?

once again this recommendation comes without any research, but I wouldn't touch it or disturb it, to maybe slow down the "spreading" process. leave it be till the cure arrives.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
If anyone is interested I am documenting my Mg treatment of my bryopsis on my tank thread, rather than hijack this thread.
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/91494-morgans-s500-2.html#post1259436

I'll check there also but it would be helpful to post it here (it's not a hijack!!) that's what I wanted this thread to be about: What works & what doesn't to get rid of Bryopsis. When I searched, I didn't find anything but older threads mostly on other forums. It would be good to have one here.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
As I just posted on Morgan's thread....I'm feeling like a complete idiot trying to figure out how to read the Red Sea Mg test :tears::nopity: I don't know if there's an easier test to do & read but this one ain't working for me :mad:

Does anyone know what I need to order to do this? I only ordered a 16oz bottle of the Tech-M and now I think I might need to get at least a gallon on the way. I won't get the one I have ordered until Wednesday next week.
This feeling I have is NOT GOOD...this old fish may not be able to learn new dosing tricks :cry1:

coralrama

Hi Diana,

You have an RSM 250, right? If that's 65 gallons, then you'll only be dosing 1/4 cup of tech m a day to raise your magnesium by 18ppm a day. So, you'll get 8 days out of the tech m bottle (if you dose every day.)

What's hanging you up on the red sea test? It's certainly tedious but if you have the patience to raise coral I think you can do it ;)