Bryopsis-Trying to not Give Up!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
The rock is OUT....moved to a 10gal. set up QT
I'm too stress over this & seeing that the Bryopsis was right in front of the MP10 flow (waving it horrible arms!)
...I've have proceeded with manual removal.
32f9fe84d0bae5be8ba17ae6c82b0df1_zpsbe9e42a0.jpg

My tank looks like it's missing a big chunk (it IS!!!)
44bef9fcefd62ea06bfe912ee688d778_zps43f4c651.jpg

I'm a little bit relieved for now, but I'm real sure that I will have to proceed with treating the whole tank with the raise of magnesium. I'm thinking I see a little patch of Bryopsis on the back corner of the sand bed :(
I may or may NOT return the LR in QT to my DT. (Lotta chop talk there :yup:)
That's it for now.

Coraljunkie

Make sure you turn your flow off before taking out rocks and disturbing it. It can and will release spores

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Make sure you turn your flow off before taking out rocks and disturbing it. It can and will release spores
I think I took it by complete surprise...didn't touch before it was outside the tank. Sprayed it down with hydrogen peroxide before I plucked it & after. Now it's in QT for now.
I doubt this will do anything except pacify my revenge desire. Unfortunately, I had already one time (before I suspected it was Bryopsis) plucked it so I'm almost certain it already GOT ME :mad:
I'll get my magnesium started after it arrives. Kinda sucks having to wait for on-line orders but no other option for this stuff.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I honestly don't want to add anything alive that might die when/if I have to start playing around with raising my magnesium. This Bryopsis situation is really getting me depressed. :(
I've had a beautiful tank & never "dosed" anything. So I am totally clueless when it comes to putting extra calcium, alk, and magnesium buffers in.
I've kept my tank looking good with ONLY routine WC. I've not ever felt like I needed to chase numbers.
I've never lost a fish (except a mandarin dragonet that didn't last long) and my corals are all growing well & look very colorful & happy.
Now I'm probably going to see my tank take a BIG DIVE. :bouncebox
I dislike being a crybaby :tears::nopity: but that about where I'm at.
Can someone who has raised their Mg tell me what I need to be ready to do? What side-effect does it have to raise Mg as far as other stuff you dose? I have to order some things as there are no close LFS in my area. I need to get stuff in advance that I will need.
I've had this stuff from the beginning (but never used it) as the LFS felt like I needed it from the beginning.

These bottles do not have a self life "use by" date on them....wonder if that matters?
I'll test my water parameters today to know where I am.
Any experienced advice is welcome...

Oxylebius

Haven't had to deal with this, so I can only refer you to other sites: this vid seems like it has taken much into consideration, particularly what else to look for to troubleshoot if other issues occur (e.g. watching Alk levels and having additional buffer on hand as well): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tDG-qlFOGU

Good luck

BTW - I wouldn't use products that don't have a shelf life date on it. Chemicals do get old (loose potency).

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
That's is a very mind relieving video! I need to watch it EVERYDAY at least once during scary time for my tank.
I have ordered (it's not here yet) some Kent Tech-M....but only a 16oz. bottle & that's not going to be near enough.
I have to get MORE ordered as none of my LFS have it in stock.
I need to know what else to order. ??
I'm a non-doser fixing to have to dose and I don't know what to get. :confused:There are tons of additives to chose from :help:

coralrama

Well, I'm on day 4, here were my levels the past few days:

7/3/2014 4:55pm
Alk 7.0 Dkh
Ca 420 ppm
Mg 1240 ppm
Ph 8.32
Temp 80

7/4/2014 2:16pm
Alk 7.0 dkh
Ca 400 ppm
Mg 1220
Ph 8.34
Temp 80

7/6 11:46 am
Alk 5.9 dkh
Ca 400 ppm
Mg 1320 ppm
Ph 8.22
Temp 79.3

I've been adding a 1/2 cup of Kent a day (slowly adding 1/4 cup twice a day). As my alk dropped today, I also mixed up 3 teaspoons of baking soda with some RODI water today and added that as well. I will test alk in a little bit and see if it's come back up any.

Diana, as that video from a few posts back says, your alk may drop once you've started adding the Kent. You can either dose your alk buffer if that happens, or try the baking soda.

Here's a really helpful reading on the subject of alk and calcium.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/11/chemistry

My calcium is holding strong so far, but I expect it to get a little wonky here too.

Fish, coral and inverts aren't showing any signs of stress yet.

Oh, and the bryopsis, it's doing fine still too :-(

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
My Kent Tech-M won't be here until Wednesday & I'm ordering at least a gallon more (don't really know how much to order :( ) and ask for faster shipping maybe.
The LR that I took out of the tank & moved to QT has NOT shown any new Bryopsis growth (only 1 day out)
Hope that the hydrogen peroxide spray killed it....too early to tell tho.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I think I have EVERYTHING (probably a lot more!) ordered that I need to treat & test my tank.
Just have to WAIT for it to arrive.
It's hard to be patient, even tho I should have my orders here by Thursday
...seem like too long to WAIT :mad: Looking forward to getting started & done with this.

Fixing little things before they get TOO BIG so my tank can stay healthy & pretty :thumbup:

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I don't think the H2O2 is a permanent solution for bryopsis........not even sure if the Tech M is either but its benefit is that it is an in-tank treatment. The big issue with bryopsis is that its roots get into the rock so it is really hard to remove.

Good luck with the treatment.......interested to see how the Tech M works for you, i'm 1-2 with it as a treatment.

coralrama

Thanks PSU4ME, good point on the roots getting into the rock. I have a bunch of bryopsis sprigs on some frag plugs, I will refrag those guys onto clean plugs in the coming days.

Wolffman64

Chin up, Diana, you can beat this!

I know how you feel though, I went through the same feeling with my big Ich outbreak 4-5 months ago. It's heartbreaking looking at the tank that you love and have put so much work into, and not knowing what to do to fix it. Will keep my fingers crossed for you!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
:tears: Thank You Jan (and everyone here for your support & encouragement) :hug1:
I just tested my Mg with my new Salifert test & if I did it correctly my starting level is 1470ppm.
It tested close to that with the Red Sea Pro Mg test also. Higher than I really expected :stars:
Not going to be able to use very much Kent Tech-M as it might need to kill the Bryopsis :dunno:

Can anyone advise me as to if I need to remove all CPE & Purigen?
Guess I'm about to add 70ml (shy of what I might should :dunno: )....I'd rather go slow & test again tomorrow to see what it did. It's so scary adding stuff that I'm so NOT sure about :look::bouncebox

Here's the latest (yesterday notice) of Bryopsis sprigging up:
c6371bb3ea933b4e7c0003d5995ee8ec_zps480fcaea.jpg

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
You shouldn't have to remove the carbon stuff, it won't impact it like it does to a medication. If you're afraid to add to the tank, set up a small tank and test it on a frag..... You'll see it pull back in one day if its working on the bryopsis type you have.